Stock Analysis Recap: Here’s Why These Stocks Trended This Week
Institutional investors and traders are heading back to Wall Street after their traditional summer vacations. Here’s your Cheat Sheet to the hottest stocks of the week.
Must Read Feature: Here’s Why Chipotle is a Shareholder’s Dream Stock.
1) Prana Biotechnology Limited (NASDAQ:PRAN): Shares of Prana Biotechnology Limited are trading higher today after The Journal Of Neurochemistry said one of the biotech firm’s experimental drug is able to restore cognition in Alzheimer’s patients. Prana Biotechnology Limited is an Australian biotechnology company which researches and develops therapeutic drugs used for treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease and other age-related degenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease and cataracts.
2) Goodrich Corporation (NYSE:GR): Shares of Goodrich Corporation are trading higher today on more United Technologies buy-out chatter. Goodrich Corporation supplies aerospace components, systems, and services to customers located worldwide. The Company manufactures various aerostructures, aircraft evacuation systems, passenger restraint systems, sensor systems, pump and engine controls, de-icing systems, and other products. Goodrich serves the commercial, military, general aviation, and space industries.
3) Tyco International Ltd. (NYSE:TYC): Shares of Tyco International Ltd. are trading higher today after the conglomerate said it will split into three separate companies: security, fire protection and flow control. Tyco International Ltd. provides security products and services, fire protection and detection products and services, valves and controls, and other industrial products.
4) Lennar Corporation (NYSE:LEN): Shares of Lennar Corporation are trading higher today after the home builder announced earnings in line with Wall Street estimates. Lennar Corporation constructs and sells single-family attached and detached homes, and to a lesser extent multi-level buildings as well as buys and sells residential land. The Company also provides mortgage financing, title insurance, closing services and other ancillary services (including personal lines insurance, high-speed Internet and cable television).
5) Sangamo Biosciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:SGMO): Shares of Sangamo Biosciences, Inc. are trading lower today despite announcing, “The data obtained in our treatment interruption studies are very exciting and represent significant progress toward a ‘functional cure’ for HIV/AIDS.” Sangamo BioSciences, Inc. researches and develops transcription factors in the regulation of genes. These transcription factors are the proteins that turn genes on and off and regulate gene expression by recognizing specific DNA sequences.
6) JinkoSolar Holding Co., Ltd. (NYSE:JKS): Shares of JinkoSolar Holding Co., Ltd. are trading lower today after news of a toxic chemical disaster at JinkoSolar’s plant in China. JinkoSolar Holding Company Limited manufactures solar products. The Company produces silicon wafers, solar cells and solar modules.
7) AutoZone, Inc. (NYSE:AZO): Shares of AutoZone, Inc. are trading flat today ahead of earnings. Don’t Miss: AutoZone Fourth Quarter Earnings Sneak Peek. AutoZone, Inc. is a specialty retailer of automotive replacement parts and accessories. The Company offers an extensive product line for cars, sport utility vehicles, vans and light trucks, including new and remanufactured automotive hard parts, maintenance items, accessories and non-automotive products. Autozone operates in United States and Puerto Rico, and Mexico.
8) The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE:KO): Shares of The Coca-Cola Company are trading lower today as investors sell stocks across the board. The Coca-Cola Company manufactures, markets, and distributes soft drink concentrates and syrups. The Company also distributes and markets juice and juice-drink products. Coca-Cola distributes its products to retailers and wholesalers in the United States and internationally.
1) AutoZone, Inc. (NYSE:AZO): Shares of AutoZone, Inc. are trading flat today after the car dealer posted its fifth straight quarter of double-digit growth. AutoZone, Inc. is a specialty retailer of automotive replacement parts and accessories. The Company offers an extensive product line for cars, sport utility vehicles, vans and light trucks, including new and remanufactured automotive hard parts, maintenance items, accessories and non-automotive products. Autozone operates in United States and Puerto Rico, and Mexico.
2) Carnival Corporation (NYSE:CCL): Shares of Carnival Corporation are trading higher today after shocking Wall Street with an earnings beat when analysts expected low demand for cruises. Carnival Corporation owns and operates cruise ships offering cruises to all major vacation destinations including North America, the United Kingdom, Germany, Southern Europe, South America and Asia/Pacific. The Company, through a subsidiary also owns and operates hotels and lodges.
3) Kona Grill, Inc. (NASDAQ:KONA): Shares of Kona Grill, Inc. are trading higher today after catching an upgrade to Strong Buy. Kona Grill, Inc. owns and operates restaurants in several states in the United States. The Company’s restaurants offer mainstream American dishes, as well as appetizers and entrees with an international influence. Each restaurant also features a sushi menu and sushi bar.
4) ConAgra Foods, Inc. (NYSE:CAG): Shares of ConAgra Foods, Inc. are trading lower today after the food company said it will start to look for other deals after Post cereal maker Ralcorp (NYSE:RAH) rejected their deal valued at $5.2 billion. ConAgra Foods, Inc. manufactures and markets packaged foods for retail consumers, restaurants and institutions. The Company offers a wide range of food products, including meals, entrees, condiments, sides, snacks, specialty potato products, milled grain ingredients, dehydrated vegetables and seasonings, and blends and flavors.
5) FactSet Research Systems Inc. (NYSE:FDS): Shares of FactSet Research Systems Inc. are trading higher today after announcing earnings where revenues rose 14.1% to $191.9 million from the year earlier quarter. FactSet Research Systems Inc. supplies global economic and financial data to analysts, investment bankers, and other financial professionals. The Company combines databases from multiple suppliers into a single online source of information and analytics, including fundamental data.
6) HEALTHSOUTH Corp. (NYSE:HLS): Shares of HEALTHSOUTH Corp. are trading lower today after announcing a conference call tomorrow to discuss the impact of President Obama’s deficit reduction plan on the firm’s rehab facilities. HEALTHSOUTH Corporation provides inpatient rehabilitative healthcare services. The Company operates inpatient rehabilitation hospitals, long-term acute care hospitals, outpatient and rehabilitation satellites, and home health agencies. HEALTHSOUTH provides treatment on both an inpatient and outpatient basis.
7) Xilinx, Inc. (NASDAQ:XLNX): Shares of Xilinx, Inc. are trading lower today after cutting earnings guidance. Xilinx, Inc. designs, develops, and markets complete programmable logic solutions. The Company’s solutions include advanced integrated circuits, software design tools, predefined system functions delivered as cores of logic, and field engineering support. Xilinx sells its products through several channels of distribution to customers in the United States and overseas.
8) Jefferies Group, Inc. (NYSE:JEF): Shares of Jefferies Group, Inc. are trading higher today after announcing a 20 million share buyback while beating earnings expectations. Jefferies Group, Inc. is an independent, full-service global securities and investment banking firm. The Company provides clients with capital markets and financial advisory services, including M&A and restructuring, as well as institutional brokerage in equity, equity-linked, high yield and other fixed income securities, along with fundamental research and asset management.
9) Atrinsic, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATRN): Shares of Atrinsic, Inc. are trading higher today. Atrinsic Inc. offers digital and mobile entertainment products. The Company operates Internet entertainment portals, a gaming website, and a website offering storefront services to customers selling digital content.
10) Home Properties, Inc. (NYSE:HME): Shares of Home Properties, Inc. are trading lowertoday after pricing a 5.25 million share secondary offering at $58.5 per share.. Home Properties, Inc. is a real estate investment trust with operations in selected Northeast, Midwest, and Mid-Atlantic markets in the United States. The Company owns, operates, acquires, and rehabilitates apartment communities. Home Properties also manages commercial space.
1) Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ:ADBE): Shares of Adobe Systems Incorporated are trading higher today afterreporting solid earnings. Adobe Systems Incorporated develops, markets, and supports computer software products and technologies. The Company’s products allow users to express and use information across all print and electronic media. Adobe offers a line of application software products, type products, and content for creating, distributing, and managing information.
2) Oracle Corporation (NASDAQ:ORCL): Shares of Oracle Corporation are trading higher today after the software giantannounced positive earnings including an 11% increase in revenues. Oracle Corporation supplies software for enterprise information management. The Company offers databases and relational servers, application development and decision support tools, and enterprise business applications. Oracle’s software runs on network computers, personal digital assistants, set-top devices, PCs, workstations, minicomputers, mainframes, and massively parallel computers.
3) General Mills, Inc. (NYSE:GIS): Shares of General Mills, Inc. are trading higher today as the packaged food company kept the sector rallying on good earnings. General Mills, Inc. manufactures and markets branded and packaged consumer foods worldwide. The Company also supplies branded and unbranded food products to the foodservice and commercial baking industries.
4) Avnet, Inc. (NYSE:AVT): Shares of Avnet, Inc. are trading higher today after Jim Cramer said to buy the stock on Mad Money. Avnet, Inc. distributes computer products and semiconductors, as well as interconnect, passive, and electromechanical components. The Company markets, inventories, and adds value to these products and provides supply-chain integration, engineering design, and technical services. Avnet serves customers in countries around the world.
5) Analogic Corporation (NASDAQ:ALOG): Shares of Analogic Corporation are trading higher today after reporting an 18% increase in revenue year-over-year. Analogic Corporation designs, manufactures, and sells standard and customized high-precision data acquisition, signal, and imaging processing based medical imaging and industrial systems and subsystems. The Company sells to original equipment manufacturers, and its products are put into systems used in medical, industrial, and scientific applications.
6) Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:OREX): Shares of Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc. are trading higher today after the FDA allowed them to reinitiate development of its cardiovascular drug Contrave. Orexigen Therapeutics Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company. The Company is focused on the development and commercialization of pharmaceutical products for the treatment of the central nervous system, or CNS, disorders with an initial focus on obesity.
7) NuVasive, Inc. (NASDAQ:NUVA): Shares of NuVasive, Inc. are trading lower today. NuVasive, Inc. designs, develops, and markets products for the surgical treatment of spine disorders. The Company’s products include Maximum Access Surgery (NYSE:MAS) and Fusion products.
8) NRG Energy, Inc. (NYSE:NRG): Shares of NRG Energy, Inc. are trading lower today after losing a patent lawsuit to Medtronic (NYSE:MDT). NRG Energy, Inc. owns and operates a diverse portfolio of power-generating facilities, primarily in the United States. The Company’s operations include energy production and cogeneration facilities, thermal energy production, and energy resource recovery facilities.
9) IHS Inc. (NYSE:IHS): Shares of IHS Inc. are trading lower today after lowering FY ’11 guidance as defense and security markets continue to struggle. IHS Inc. provides provides critical information and insight in the areas of Energy, Product Lifecycle, Security, Environment and Macroeconomics that global businesses use for decision-making and management.
10) TranS1 Inc. (NASDAQ:TSON): Shares of TranS1 Inc. are trading lower today after pricing a 6.2 million share offering at $3.25 per share. TranS1 Inc. designs, develops, and markets medical devices to treat degenerative disc disease affecting the lower lumbar region of the spine.
1) Discover Financial Services (NYSE:DFS): Shares of Discover Financial Services are trading higher today after announcing earnings where net income more than doubled year-over-year. Discover Financial Services is a credit card issuer and electronic payment services company. The Company issues credit cards and offers student and personal loans, as well as savings products such as certificates of deposit and money market accounts and operates an automated teller machine(ATM)/debit network, which includes ATMs, as well as POS terminals nationwide.
2) FedEx Corporation (NYSE:FDX): Shares of FedEx Corporation are trading lower today after the economic bellwether warned of an economic slowdown and cut their outlook. FedEx Corp. delivers packages and freight to multiple countries and territories throught an integrated global network. The Company provides worldwide express delivery, ground small-parcel delivery, less-than-truckload freight delivery, supply chain management services, customs brokerage services, and trade facilitation and electronic commerce solutions.
3) CarMax, Inc (NYSE:KMX): Shares of CarMax, Inc are trading lower today after reporting weak sales in a tough environment. CarMax, Inc. sells at retail new and used cars and light trucks. The Company purchases, reconditions, and sells new and used vehicles in its superstores and franchises throughout the United States.
4) Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. (NASDAQ:BBBY): Shares of Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. are trading higher today after beating earnings yesterday and catching some upgrades. Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. operates a nationwide chain of retail stores. The Company, through its retail stores, sells a wide assortment of merchandise principally including domestics merchandise and home furnishings as well as food, giftware, health and beauty care items and infant and toddler merchandise.
5) Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE:RHT): Shares of Red Hat, Inc. are trading higher today after delivering solid earnings topping Wall Street expectations. Red Hat, Inc. develops and provides open source software and services, including the Red Hat Linux operating system. The Company’s Web site offers information and news about open source software and provides an online community of open source software users and developers.
6) Herman Miller, Inc. (NASDAQ:MLHR): Shares of Herman Miller, Inc. are trading higher today after announcing good earnings yesterday. Herman Miller, Inc. researches, designs, manufactures, and distributes interior office furnishings, furniture systems, products, and services. The Company markets its products to companies, organizations, and individuals.
7) Range Resources Corp. (NYSE:RRC): Shares of Range Resources Corp. are trading higher today on continued take over chatter. Range Resources Corporation is an independent oil and gas company that explore, develops, and acquires oil and gas properties. The Company conducts operations primarily in the Southwestern, Appalachian and Gulf Coast regions of the United States.
8) Steelcase Inc. (NYSE:SCS): Shares of Steelcase Inc. are trading lower today after missing earnings expectations and lowering their outlook. Steelcase Inc. designs and manufactures products used to create high performance work environments. The Company’s products include office furniture, furniture systems, interior architectural products, technology products, seating, and related products and services. Steelcase has operations in various countries.
9) Oracle Corp. (NASDAQ:ORCL): Shares of Oracle Corp. are trading lower today after investors take profits after an excellent earnings bump to the share price. Oracle Corporation supplies software for enterprise information management. The Company offers databases and relational servers, application development and decision support tools, and enterprise business applications. Oracle’s software runs on network computers, personal digital assistants, set-top devices, PCs, workstations, minicomputers, mainframes, and massively parallel computers.
10) Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:OCLS): Shares of Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc. are trading lower today as an active day trading target. Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc. develops and manufactures products to prevent and eliminate infections in chronic and acute wounds.
1) American Medical Alert (NASDAQ:AMAC): Shares of American Medical Alert are trading higher today after being acquired by Turnstall Healthcare Group for $8.55. American Medical Alert Corp. designs, engineers, fabricates, markets, installs, and monitors computerized personal emergency response systems. The Company markets its systems to consumers, healthcare agencies, hospitals, health maintenance organizations, durable medical equipment providers, retirement communities, hospitals, and government agencies, among others.
2) NIKE, Inc. (NYSE:NKE): Shares of NIKE, Inc. are trading higher today after announcing excellent earnings. NIKE, Inc. designs, develops, and markets athletic footwear, apparel, equipment, and accessory products for men, women, and children. The Company sells its products worldwide to retail stores, through its own stores, subsidiaries, and distributors.
3) SIGA Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ:SIGA): Shares of SIGA Technologies, Inc. are trading higher today after selling off over 40% yesterday on news a Delaware court ruled in favor of PharmAthene (AMEX:PIP) in a dispute over SIGA’s smallpox drug ST-246. SIGA Technologies, Inc. explores, develops, and markets products for use in defense against biological warfare agents. The Company’s also offers products such as novel anti-infectives or the prevention and treatment of serious infectious diseases.
4) PNM Resources, Inc. (NYSE:PNM): Shares of PNM Resources, Inc. are trading higher today after the company agreed to sell its First Choice Power subsidiary for $270 million and its stake in Optim Energy. PNM Resources Inc. is a holding company. The Company, through its subsidiaries, generates, transmits, and distributes electricity. PNM Resources also transmits, distributes, and sells natural gas.
5) The Finish Line, Inc. (NASDAQ:FINL): Shares of The Finish Line, Inc. are trading higher today after beating earnings expectaions. The Finish Line, Inc. is a specialty retailer of men’s, women’s and children’s brand name athletic and leisure footwear, activewear, and accessories. Brand names carried by the Company include Nike, Reebok, K-Swiss, And 1, Asics, adidas, Timberland, New Balance, Saucony, Skechers, and Converse.
6) Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ): Shares of Hewlett-Packard are trading lower today after Meg Whitman has been named to replace Chief Executive Officer Leo Apotheker. Hewlett-Packard Company provides imaging and printing systems, computing systems, and information technology services for business and home.
7) Tibco Software Inc. (NASDAQ:TIBX): Shares of Tibco Software Inc. are trading higher today after giving shareholders an earnings release to smile over. TIBCO Software Inc. provides electronic business infrastructure software products that enable business-to-business, business-to-consumer, and business-to-employee solutions. The Company’s software products enable businesses to link internal operations, business partners, and customer channels in real time.
8) FedEx Corporation (NYSE:FDX): Shares of FedEx Corporation are trading higher today after getting rocked yesterday on a very weak outlook for the remainder of 2011. FedEx Corp. delivers packages and freight to multiple countries and territories throught an integrated global network. The Company provides worldwide express delivery, ground small-parcel delivery, less-than-truckload freight delivery, supply chain management services, customs brokerage services, and trade facilitation and electronic commerce solutions.
9) JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM): Shares of JPMorgan Chase & Co. are trading flat today as the bank is one of the few to avoid recent major downgrades. JPMorgan Chase & Co. provides global financial services and retail banking. The Company provides services such as investment banking, treasury and securities services, asset management, private banking, card member services, commercial banking, and home finance. JP Morgan Chase serves business enterprises, institutions, and individuals.
Must Read Feature: What are Copper and Oil Signaling?