Stock Analysis Recap: Here’s Why These Stocks Were Heavily Traded This Week
Markets are preparing for earnings season. Here’s your Cheat Sheet to the hottest stocks of the week.
Must Read Feature: Hurricane Irene is Set to Storm Insurance Company Stocks.
1) Raven Industries, Inc. (NASDAQ:RAVN): Shares of Raven Industries, Inc. closed higher 3.98% to $47.08 per share today. Raven Industries, Inc. is an industrial manufacturer focusing on plastics and electronics. The Company manufactures ultra thin and reinforced plastic sheeting, provides electronic manufacturing services, and manufactures precision products for agriculture. Raven also provides balloons, inflatables, contract electronics, and industrial controls through its subsidiaries.
2) Seattle Genetics, Inc. (NASDAQ:SGEN): Shares of Seattle Genetics, Inc. closed lower over 2% to $14.73 per share today. Seattle Genetics, Inc. discovers and develops monoclonal antibody-based drugs to treat cancer and related diseases. The Company’s technologies increase the potency and efficacy of monoclonal antibodies with specificity for cancer.
3) 99 Cents Only Stores (NYSE:NDN): Shares of 99 Cents Only Stores closed higher over 8.5% to $18 per share today. 99 Cents Only Stores is a deep-discount retailer of primarily brand-name, consumable general merchandise. The Company’s stores offer a wide assortment of regularly available consumer goods, as well as a variety of first-quality, close-out merchandise. 99 Cents operates stores in the United States.
4) Delcath Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:DCTH): Shares of Delcath Systems, Inc. closed higher over .55% to $3.67 per share today. Delcath Systems Inc. has developed a system to isolate the liver from the circulatory system and to administer chemotherapy and other therapeutic agents directly to the liver. This system filters the patients blood removing most of the harmful chemotherapy agents lessening the side-effects of the treatment.
5) Sanderson Farms, Inc. (NASDAQ:SAFM): Shares of Sanderson Farms, Inc. closed lower over 3% to $39.03 per share today. Sanderson Farms, Inc. produces, processes, markets, and distributes fresh and frozen chicken products. The Company also processes, markets, and distributes processed and prepared food items. Sanderson Farms sells its chicken, primarily under the Sanderson Farms brand name, to retailers, distributors, and fast food operators in the southeastern, southwestern, and western United States.
6) Kinetic Concepts, Inc. (NYSE:KCI): Shares of Kinetic Concepts, Inc. closed higher over 1% to $66.57 per share today. Kinetic Concepts, Inc. designs, manufactures, markets, and services products that accelerate the healing process or prevent complications of wounds. The Company’s products include specialty hospital beds, and mattress replacements.
7) GTSI Corp. (NASDAQ:GTSI): Shares of GTSI Corp. closed higher over 1% to $4.37 per share today. GTSI Corporation provides technology products, professional services, and IT infrastructure solutions to Federal, state and local government.
8) Footlocker Inc (NYSE:FL): Shares of Footlocker Inc closed higher over 2% to $18.32 per share today. Foot Locker, Inc. is primarily a mall-based athletic retailer that operates athletic retail stores in countries located in North America, Europe, and Australia. The Company provides athletic footwear and apparel through its Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, and Champs Sports retail stores. Foot Locker also operates a direct-to-consumer channel, Footlocker.com/Eastbay.
9) Marvell Technology Group Ltd. (NASDAQ:MRVL): Shares of Marvell Technology Group Ltd. closed .95% to $12.56 per share today. Marvell Technology Group Ltd. designs, develops, and markets integrated circuits for communications-related markets. The Company’s products provide the interface between analog signals and the digital information used in computing and communications systems. Marvell’s technology is applied to the broadband data communications market.
10) Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. (NYSE:RGR): Shares of Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. closed lower over 3% to $28.48 per share today. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. designs, manufactures and sells firearms and precision metal investment castings. The company’s firearms products include rifles, shotguns, pistols, and revolvers. The Company’s titanium and ferrous investment castings are utilized in the production for a wide variety of markets including golf clubs and sporting goods, commercial, and military.
Investing Insights: Will Gold Become Collateral for a Euro Zone Bailout?
1) Shares are falling for Bank of America Corporation (NYSE:BAC) on today’s volume of 256.9 million, which is 1.3 times its average daily volume. The stock is trading down 43 cents (-6.2%) to $6.54 in an intraday range of $6.51 to $7.22. Bank of America Corporation is a bank holding and a financial holding company which, through its subsidiaries, provides banking and other financial services and products to customers in the United States and abroad.
Stock Price Performance: During May 25, 2011 to August 19, 2011, the stock price had fallen $4.40 (-38.7%) from $11.37 to $6.97. It saw one of its worst periods between July 7, 2011 and July 19, 2011 when shares fell for nine-straight days, falling 12.4% (-$1.35) over that span. The stock price saw one of its best stretches over the last year between December 15, 2010 and December 22, 2010 when shares rose for six-straight days, rising 8.9% (+$1.09) over that span.
2) Shares are up for Hewlett Packard Co. (NYSE:HPQ) on today’s volume of 45.3 million, which is two times of its average daily volume. The stock is trading up $1.01 (+4.3%) to $24.60 in an intraday range of $24.13 to $25.23. Hewlett-Packard Company provides products, technologies, software and services to individual consumers, businesses and large enterprises, including customers in the government.
Stock Price Performance: During July 22, 2011 to August 19, 2011, the stock price had dropped $13.10 (-35.7%) from $36.70 to $23.60. The stock price saw one of its best stretches over the last year between January 28, 2011 and February 7, 2011 when shares rose for seven-straight days, rising 5.8% (+$2.61) over that span. It saw one of its worst periods between May 10, 2011 and May 23, 2011 when shares fell for 10-straight days, falling 13.9% (-$5.74) over that span.
3) Shares are up for Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) on today’s volume of 50.1 million, which is 0.7 times its average daily volume. The stock is trading up 8 cents (+0.7%) to $10.06 in an intraday range of $9.81 to $10.39. Ford Motor Co. is an automaker that sells its cars and trucks throughout the world.
Stock Price Performance: During May 25, 2011 to August 19, 2011, the stock price had fallen $4.59 (-31.5%) from $14.58 to $9.99. The stock price saw one of its best stretches over the last year between December 30, 2010 and January 10, 2011 when shares rose for eight-straight days, rising 9.7% (+$1.62) over that span. It saw one of its worst periods between April 26, 2011 and May 5, 2011 when shares fell for eight-straight days, falling 3.7% (-58 cents) over that span.
4) Shares are down for Sprint Nextel Corporation (NYSE:S) on today’s volume of 44.1 million, 0.7 times its average daily volume. The stock is trading down 8 cents (-2.5%) to $3.33 in an intraday range of $3.17 to $3.59. Sprint Nextel Corp. offers a range of wireless and wireline communications products and services.
Stock Price Performance: During May 25, 2011 to August 19, 2011, the stock price had fallen $2.45 (-41.7%) from $5.87 to $3.42. The stock price saw one of its best stretches over the last year between May 17, 2011 and May 26, 2011 when shares rose for eight-straight days, rising 15.7% (+80 cents) over that span. It saw one of its worst periods between July 19, 2011 and July 25, 2011 when shares fell for five-straight days, falling 2.1% (-11 cents) over that span.
1) PharMerica Corporation (NYSE:PMC): Shares of PharMerica Corporation are trading higher over 28% to $14.07 per share today. PharMerica Corporation is a pharmaceutical services firm. The Company provides services to patients in hospitals and long term care settings.
2) Williams-Sonoma, Inc. (NYSE:WSM): Shares of Williams-Sonoma, Inc. are trading lower over 3% to $29.98 per share today. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. retails cooking and serving equipment, home furnishings, and home accessories through retail stores and mail order catalogs. The Company offers its merchandise under the Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, and Chambers concepts.
3) H.J. Heinz Company (NYSE:HNZ): Shares of H.J. Heinz Company are trading lower over 2.77% to $50.60 per share today. H.J. Heinz Company manufactures and markets processed food products throughout the world. The Company’s principal products include ketchup, condiments and sauces, frozen food, soups, beans and pasta meals, infant nutrition and other processed food products.
4) Perfect World Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ:PWRD): Shares of Perfect World Co., Ltd. are trading higher over 13% to $21.18 per share today. Perfect World Co Limited develops and operates online games. The Company primarily develops 3D gaming technologies.
5) Focus Media Holding Limited (NASDAQ:FMCN): Shares of Focus Media Holding Limited are trading higher over 8% to $29.41 per share today. Focus Media Holding Limited operates an out-of-home advertising network in China. The Company uses audiovisual television displays which are placed primarily in high-traffic areas of commercial office buildings such as in lobbies and near elevators, as well as in large retail chain stores and other venues.
6) LML Payment Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:LMLP): Shares of LML Payment Systems, Inc. are trading higher over 15% to $2.49 per share today. LML Payment Systems Inc. is a financial payment processor, providing electronic payment, risk management and authentication services primarily to businesses and organizations that use the Internet to receive or send payments. The Company operates three separate lines of business: transaction payment processing, intellectual property licensing and check processing/software licensing.
7) Omnicare, Inc. (NYSE:OCR): Shares of Omnicare, Inc. are trading higher over 8% to $29.27 per share today. Omnicare, Inc. provides geriatric pharmaceutical services. The Company distributes pharmaceuticals, and provides related pharmacy consulting and other ancillary services, data management services and medical supplies to skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, retirement centers, independent living communities, hospitals, hospice, and other healthcare providers.
8) Autodesk Inc. (NASDAQ:ADSK): Shares of Autodesk Inc. are trading higher over 2% to $24.82 per share today. Autodesk, Inc. supplies PC software and multimedia tools. The Company’s two-dimensional and three-dimensional products are used across industries and in the home for architectural design, mechanical design, geographic information systems and mapping, and visualization applications. Autodesk’s software products are sold worldwide through a network of dealers and distributors.
9) Citrix Systems Inc. (NASDAQ:CTXS): Shares of Citrix Systems Inc. are trading higher over 3% to $53.62 per share today. Citrix Systems, Inc. designs, develops, and markets technology solutions that allow applications to be delivered, supported, and shared on-demand. The Company develops and markets comprehensive solutions across all dimensions of application, server and desktop virtualization as well as application and network optimization.
1) Toll Brothers, Inc. (NYSE:TOL): Shares of Toll Brothers, Inc. are trading higher 3.53% to $15.26 per share today. Toll Brothers, Inc. builds luxury homes, serving both move-up and empty nester buyers in several regions of the United States. The Company builds customized single and attached homes, primarily on land that it develops and improves. Toll Brothers also operates its own architectural, engineering, mortgage, title, security, landscape, insurance brokerage, and manufacturing operations. Toll Brothers Inc. Earnings Cheat Sheet: Higher-Than-Expected Net Income>>
2) United Therapeutics Corporation (NASDAQ:UTHR): Shares of United Therapeutics Corporation are trading lower over 18% to $39.76 per share today. United Therapeutics Corporation develops pharmaceuticals to treat vascular diseases such as pulmonary hypertension and peripheral vascular disease. The Company’s lead products are stable synthetic forms of prostacyclin and are delivered orally or subcutaneously. United’s products are currently in Phase III clinical trials.
3) American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO): Shares of American Eagle Outfitters are trading lower over 10% to $10.38 per share today. American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. retails men’s and women’s casual apparel, footwear, outerwear, and accessories. The Company’s products include jeans, khakis, T-shirts, and other similar apparel. American Eagle operates in the United States.
4) Pacific Sunwear of California, Inc. (NASDAQ:PSUN): Shares of Pacific Sunwear of California, Inc. are trading lower over 32% to $1.46 per share today. Pacific Sunwear of California, Inc. operates a nationwide mall-based specialty retail chain of stores. The Company specializes in casual apparel, footwear, and related accessories catering to teenagers and young adults.
5) Dycom Industries, Inc. (NYSE:DY): Shares of Dycom Industries, Inc. are trading higher over 9% to $15.10 per share today. Dycom Industries, Inc. provides engineering, construction, and maintenance services to telecomm providers in the United States. In addition to its primary services, the Company performs underground utility locating and electric utility contracting services. Dycom also provides services related to the installation of integrated voice, data, and video networks in office buildings.
6) La-Z-Boy Incorporated (NYSE:LZB): Shares of La-Z-Boy Incorporated are trading flat at $7.59 per share today. La-Z-Boy Incorporated manufactures residential and office upholstered furniture. The Company’s product lines include motion, stationary and modular seating, desks, cabinets, conference tables, dining room and bedroom furniture, and book cases. La-Z-Boy markets its products through department and furniture stores, mass merchandisers, and La-Z-Boy showcase galleries.
7) Avago Technologies Ltd (NASDAQ:AVGO): Shares of Avago Technologies Ltd are trading higher over 9% to $32.07 per share today. Avago Technologies Ltd. manufactures semiconductor products such as optoelectronics, radio-frequency and microwave components, and application-specific integrated circuits. The Company’s products are used in mobile phones, consumer electronics, enterprise and telecom networking gear, optical mice, automotive electronics, and military and aerospace systems.
8) PharMerica Corporation (NYSE:PMC): Shares of PharMerica Corporation are trading flat at $13.86 per share today. PharMerica Corporation is a pharmaceutical services firm. The Company provides services to patients in hospitals and long term care settings.
9) The Hain Celestial Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAIN): Shares of The Hain Celestial Group, Inc. are trading higher almost 1% to $31.16 per share today. The Hain Celestial Group, Inc. is a natural and organic beverage, snack, specialty food, and personal care products company. The Company’s product line include grocery store foods such as organic cookies, cooking oils, sugar free products, kosher foods, snacks, and frozen foods, as well as organic skin, hair, and body products. Hain Celestial sells and markets in North America and Europe.