Everyone loves a good Top 10 List. Here are the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) stocks with the best returns for Q1:
1) Tesoro Corp. (NYSE:TSO): This energy company was up 46.33%. Tesoro Corporation refines and markets petroleum products, and provides transporting services. The Company operates refineries, as well as a network of retail and refueling stations in the western United States. Tesoro also markets gasoline and diesel fuel to independent marketers and commercial end users.
2) Marathon Oil Corp. (NYSE:MRO): This energy company was up 44.34%. Marathon Oil Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is an integrated oil firm with operations worldwide. The Company explores for and produces and markets liquid hydrocarbons and natural gas on a worldwide basis. Marathon also mines, extracts and transports bitumen from oil sands deposits in Alberta, Canada and refines, markets and transports crude oil and petroleum products.
3) Micron Technology Inc. (NASDAQ:MU): This technology company was up 44.01%. Micron Technology, Inc., through its subsidiaries, manufactures and markets dynamic random access memory chips (DRAMs), very fast static random access memory chips, Flash Memory, other semiconductor components, and memory modules.
4) JDS Uniphase Corp. (NASDAQ:JDSU): This technology company was up 43.96%. JDS Uniphase Corporation provides communications test & measurement solutions and optical products for telecommunications service providers, cable operators, and network equipment manufacturers. The Company also provides optical solutions for medical/environmental instrumentation, semiconductor processing, display, brand authentication, aerospace and defense, and decorative applications.
5) Big Lots Inc. (NYSE:BIG): This retail company was up 41.73%. Big Lots, Inc. is a broadline closeout retailer that operates stores across the United States. The Company’s stores offer an assortment of merchandise, including consumables, seasonal products,furniture, housewares, toys, and gifts.
6) Helmerich & Payne Inc. (NYSE:HP): This energy services company was up 41.75%. Helmerich & Payne, Inc. provides contract drilling of oil and gas wells in the Gulf of Mexico and South America. The Company operates land rigs and platform rigs.
7) Cabot Oil & Gas Corp. (NYSE:COG): This energy services company was up 41.75%. 41.19%. Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation is an independent oil and gas company that develops, exploits, and explores oil and gas properties located in North America. The Company holds interests Appalachian Basin, onshore Gulf Coast, including south and east Texas and north Louisiana, the Rocky Mountains and the Anadarko Basin as well as in the deep gas basin of Western Canada.
8) H&R Block Inc. (NYSE:HRB): This tax services company was up 41.06%. H&R Block, Inc. provides a wide range of financial products and services through its subsidiaries. The Company provides tax services to the general public, accounting and consulting services, and consumer financial and personal productivity software.
9) Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX): This media company was up 34.01%. Netflix Inc. is an online movie rental service. The Company ships DVDs with no due dates or late fees, directly to the subscriber’s address. Netflix also provides background information on DVD releases, including critic reviews, member reviews and ratings, and personalized movie recommendations.
10) Discover Financial Services (NYSE:DFS): This credit card company was up 32.43%. Discover Financial Services is a credit card issuer and electronic payment services company. The Company issues credit cards and offers student and personal loans, as well as savings products such as certificates of deposit and money market accounts and operates an automated teller machine(ATM)/debit network, which includes ATMs, as well as POS terminals nationwide.