These 5 Stocks Are Making Headlines Today
After a huge red day yesterday, US markets recovered a bit on positive news out of Japan (NYSE:EWJ). Nerves were calmed as recent news declared the nuclear catastrophe as more stable. Along with the Japanese sign of hope, positive US economic news helped investors hit the ask yesterday.
Here are a few of today’s most active stocks trading pre-market:
1) Nike Inc. (NYSE:NKE): Shares of the sporting footwear, apparel, and equipment designer are down $5.41 or 6.33% after reporting fiscal Q3 earnings that missed analyst estimates. Earnings rose 5.2% for the quarter on increasing sales but weaker margins. Higher manufacturing and shipping costs hit the company’s bottom line. Nike has been a huge beneficiary of emerging markets growth, so keep an eye on how Japan affects those countries in Asia.
2) LDK Solar Co. Ltd. (NYSE:LDK): Shares of the producer of solar wafers are down $0.32 or 2.56% after announcing an upbeat Q4 earnings report. The company reported increased sales and margins but did not seem to meet investor expectations. If you’re interested in how solar is heating up now that nuclear power is off the competitor list, check out our special 10 Solar Stocks You Must Add to Your Investing Watch List Now.
3) Shoe Carnival Inc. (NASDAQ:SCVL): Shares of the family footwear retailer are up $0.54 or 2.09% after announcing Q4 earnings that soared 71%. The rise came on better-than-expected margins and increased sales. The company also guided current quarter earnings and revenue above analyst expectations.
4) New York & Co. (NYSE:NWY): Shares of the specialty retailer of women’s apparel are up $0.22 or 4.04% after reporting a jump in fiscal Q4 earnings. The jump came on flourishing sales and increased margins.
5) Protalix BioTherapeutics Inc. (AMEX:PLX): Shares of the biopharmaceutical company are down $0.33 or 5.41% after announcing a plan that will dilute its current common shares. If market conditions permit, the company plans to offer more shares of its common stock. If you’re a current shareholder, that’s bad news.
Keep these stocks on your watch list for today’s trading. Good luck out there!