The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) closed lower 19 points at 12,070, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) closed down 1 point at 1,284 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) closed lower 1 point to 2,701 on the 108th trading day of 2011, as these stocks hit our radar:
- The Talbots, Inc. (NYSE:TLB): Shares of The Talbots, Inc. closed lower 40% to $2.65 per share today. Over 36 million shares traded hands. The company announced a weak outlook and announced it will close 20% of its stores. The stock dropped to a 52-week low today. The Talbots, Inc. is an international specialty retailer and direct marketer of women’s apparel, accessories, and shoes. The Company operates stores in the United States and Canada. Talbots also retails products over the Internet and through its catalog. Competitors to Watch: Coldwater Creek (NASDAQ:CWTR), Christopher & Banks (NYSE:CBK), New York & Company (NYSE:NWY), Ann Inc (NYSE:ANN), Charming Shoppes (NASDAQ:CHRS), Limited Brands (NYSE:LTD), Chico’s FAS (NYSE:CHS), J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) and Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN).
- Temple-Inland, Inc. (NYSE:TIN): Shares of Temple-Inland, Inc. closed higher 40% to $29.48 per share today. Over 24 million shares traded hands. International Paper (NYSE:IP) announced an offer to buy the company today. Temple-Inland Inc. manufactures paper, corrugated packaging, and building products. Temple-Inland’s products include linerboard, lumber, particleboard, and fiberboard.
- Navistar International Corporation (NYSE:NAV): Shares of Navistar International Corporation closed lower 6% to $58.90 per share today. Over 4.8 million shares traded hands compared to the daily average of 1 million shares. Even though the company delivered monster double-digit profits, engine costs were a concern to shareholders. The company’s profits rose double digits. Navistar International Corporation manufactures and markets medium and heavy trucks, school buses, mid-range diesel engines, and service parts. The Company also provides financial services to its dealers and customers. Competitors to Watch: General Motors Company (NYSE:GM), Toyota Motor Corp. (NYSE:TM), Honda Motor CO., Ltd. (NYSE:HMC), AutoZone (NYSE:AZO), CarMax (NYSE:KMX), Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA), Tata Motors Limited (NYSE:TTM) and Ford Motor (NYSE:F).
- Intel (NASDAQ:INTC): Shares of Intel closed higher 1% to $22.06 per share today. Over 52 million shares traded hands. Intel displayed upside leadership today for the overall markets. Investors are bullish on the second half of 2011 for this tech giant. Intel Corporation designs, manufactures, and sells computer components and related products. The Company’s major products include microprocessors, chipsets, embedded processors and microcontrollers, flash memory products, graphics products, network and communications products, systems management software, conferencing products, and digital imaging products. Competitors to Watch: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NYSE:AMD), Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA), Oracle Corp (NASDAQ:ORCL), Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), Broadcom (NASDAQ:BRCM), Intel (NASDAQ:INTC), Micron Tech (NASDAQ:MU), ARM Holdings (NASDAQ:ARMH) and Texas Instruments Inc. (NYSE:TXN).
- International Paper Company (NYSE:IP): Shares of International Paper Company closed higher .47% to $29.79 per share today. Over 17 million shares traded hands. International Paper Company produces and distributes printing paper, packaging, forest products, and chemical products. The Company operates specialty businesses in global markets as well as a broadly based distribution network. International Paper exports its products worldwide. Competitors to Watch: Clearwater Paper Corp (NYSE:CLW), P.H. Glatfelter Company (NYSE:GLT), Wausau Paper Corp. (NYSE:WPP), MeadWestvaco Corp. (NYSE:MWV), KapStone Paper and Packaging Corp. (NYSE:KS), Boise Inc. (NYSE:BZ), Buckeye Technologies Inc. (NYSE:BKI), Fibria Celulose S.A. (NYSE:FBR), and Domtar Corp. (NYSE:UFS).
- Analogic Corporation (NASDAQ:ALOG): Shares of Analogic Corporation closed lower .68% to $50.33 per share today. Analogic Corporation designs, manufactures, and sells standard and customized high-precision data acquisition, signal, and imaging processing based medical imaging and industrial systems and subsystems. The Company sells to original equipment manufacturers, and its products are put into systems used in medical, industrial, and scientific applications.
- Ulta Salon Cosmetics & Fragrance Inc. (NASDAQ:ULTA): Shares of Ulta Salon Cosmetics & Fragrance Inc. closed flat today. After hours, the company is up 7.44% to $53.30 per share on a positive quarterly earnings release. Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance, Inc. sells cosmetics, fragrances, skin and hair care products, appliances, and accessories. The Company also offers hair salon services, manicures, pedicures, massages, and other beauty & spa treatments.