These Companies Beat Estimates During the Current Earnings Season
Following is some information on companies that have had earning surprises in the third quarter.
- AMERISAFE, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMSF): The company reported earnings per share of $0.33 against expectations of $0.29 for a surprise of 13.79%. About the company: AMERISAFE, Inc. provides workers’ compensation insurance focused on small to mid-sized employers involved in hazardous industries, principally construction, trucking, logging, agriculture, oil and gas, maritime, and sawmills.
- Actuate Corporation (NASDAQ:BIRT): The company reported earnings per share of $0.13 against expectations of $0.12 for a surprise of 8.33%. About the company: Actuate Corporation provides enterprise reporting solutions that enable organizations to systematically extract, publish, and disseminate information in both Internet and client/server computing environments. The Company develops and markets software products which allow companies to design, generate, and distribute reports throughout the enterprise.
- Akorn, Inc. (NASDAQ:AKRX): The company reported earnings per share of $0.15 against expectations of $0.07 for a surprise of 114.29%. About the company: Akorn, Inc. develops, manufactures, and markets ophthalmic and injectable pharmaceutical products. The Company sells various diagnostic and therapeutic pharmaceutical products focused primarily on ophthalmology, anesthesia, antidotes, and rheumatology. Akorn also markets ophthalmic surgical instruments and other supplies, and provides contract manufacturing for third parties.
- Allot Communications Ltd. (NASDAQ:ALLT): The company reported earnings per share of $0.13 against expectations of $0.10 for a surprise of 30.00%. About the company: Allot Communications Ltd. designs and develops broadband service optimization solutions using advanced deep packet inspection technology. The Company provides their customers with real-time highly granular visibility into network traffic and enables them to effectively manage and optimize their networks.
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALNY): The company reported earnings per share of ($0.31) against expectations of ($0.35) for a surprise of 11.43%. About the company: Alnylam Pharmaceuticals Inc. is an early-stage therapeutics company. The Company is developing technology that can specifically and potently silence disease-causing genes.
- Alterra Capital Holdings Limite (NASDAQ:ALTE): The company reported earnings per share of $0.47 against expectations of $0.43 for a surprise of 9.30%. About the company: Alterra Capital Holdings Ltd. provides specialty insurance and reinsurance products to corporations, public entities, property and casualty insurers, and life and health insurers. The Company offers excess and surplus commercial lines insurance; and casualty, property, specialty, life and annuity reinsurance. Alterra operates worldwide.
- Altra Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:AIMC): The company reported earnings per share of $0.34 against expectations of $0.33 for a surprise of 3.03%. About the company: Altra Holdings, Inc. designs, produces, and markets a wide range of mechanical power transmission, or MPT, and motion control products. The Company’s product portfolio includes industrial clutches and brakes, enclosed gear drives, open gearing, couplings, engineered bearing assemblies, linear components and other related products.
- AmTrust Financial Services, Inc (NASDAQ:AFSI): The company reported earnings per share of $0.68 against expectations of $0.61 for a surprise of 11.48%. About the company: AmTrust Financial Services, Inc. offers insurance coverage. The Company offers property/casualty, workers’ compensation, special risk, and warranty insurance, and extended service plans. The Company operates in the United States and the European Union, and reinsures risk worldwide.
- AmerisourceBergen Corporation ( (ABC): The company reported earnings per share of $0.61 against expectations of $0.56 for a surprise of 8.93%. About the company: AmerisourceBergen Corporation is a pharmaceutical services company. The Company distributes pharmaceutical products and services. AmerisourceBergen distributes an offering of brand name and generic pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter healthcare products, home healthcare supplies and equipment, and related services to a variety of healthcare providers.
- Amicus Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:FOLD): The company reported earnings per share of ($0.28) against expectations of ($0.33) for a surprise of 15.15%. About the company: Amicus Therapeutics, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that develops orally-administered, small molecule drugs to treat human genetic diseases. The drugs, called pharmacological chaperones, are being developed to treat Fabray, Gaucher, and Pompe disease.
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>
Check out our analysis of Jim Cramer’s latest stock calls