Following is information on companies whose earnings beat expectations in the third quarter of 2011.
- Edgewater Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:EDGW): The company reported earnings per share of $0.13 against expectations of $0.01 for a surprise of 1200.00%. About the company: Edgewater Technology, Inc. is a consulting firm that provides custom software development, technical consulting and system integration services. The Company serves middle-market companies and divisions of Global 2000 companies. Edgewater develops scalable technology solutions organized around strategy, solutions and support.
- Edison International (NYSE:EIX): The company reported earnings per share of $1.30 against expectations of $1.23 for a surprise of 5.69%. About the company: Edison International, through its subsidiaries, develops, acquires, owns, and operates electric power generation facilities worldwide. The Company also provides capital and financial services for energy and infrastructure projects, as well as manages and sells real estate projects. Additionally, Edison provides integrated energy services, utility outsourcing, and consumer products.
- El Paso Electric Company (NYSE:EE): The company reported earnings per share of $1.40 against expectations of $1.35 for a surprise of 3.70%. About the company: El Paso Electric Company generates, distributes, and transmits electricity in west Texas and southern New Mexico. The Company also serves wholesale customers in Texas, New Mexico, California, and Mexico. El Paso Electric owns or has partial ownership interests in electrical generating facilities.
- Ellie Mae, Inc. (ELLI): The company reported earnings per share of $0.09 against expectations of $0.08 for a surprise of 12.50%. About the company: Ellie Mae, Inc. and its subsidiaries host electronic mortgage origination networks in the United States.
- Employers Holdings Inc. (NYSE:EIG): The company reported earnings per share of $0.20 against expectations of $0.10 for a surprise of 100.00%. About the company: Employers Holdings, Inc. provides workers’ compensation insurance. The Company focuses on small businesses involved in low to medium hazard industries.
- Ensco plc (NYSE:ESV): The company reported earnings per share of $0.87 against expectations of $0.82 for a surprise of 6.10%. About the company: Ensco PLC is an international offshore contract drilling company. The Company’s operations are concentrated in the geographic regions of Asia Pacific (which includes Asia, the Middle East, Australia and New Zealand), Europe/Africa and North and South America.
- Enterprise Products Partners (NYSE:EPD): The company reported earnings per share of $0.55 against expectations of $0.51 for a surprise of 7.84%. About the company: Enterprise Products Partners L.P. provides processing and transportation services to producers and consumers of natural gas liquids. The Company generally processes products that are ultimately used as feedstocks in petrochemical manufacturing, in the production of motor gasoline, and as fuel for residential and commercial heating.
- Entertainment Properties Trust (NYSE:EPR): The company reported earnings per share of $0.86 against expectations of $0.79 for a surprise of 8.86%. About the company: Entertainment Properties Trust is a real estate investment trust. The Company acquires and develops properties leased to entertainment and entertainment related business operators generally under long-term triple net leases. The Company plans to focus primarily on megaplex theaters and entertainment themed retail centers.
- Essex Property Trust, Inc. (NYSE:ESS): The company reported earnings per share of $1.43 against expectations of $1.42 for a surprise of 0.70%. About the company: Essex Property Trust, Inc. is a self-administered and self-managed real estate investment trust company. The Company specializes in acquiring, developing and managing multifamily residential properties. Essex has ownership interests in residential properties and commercial properties located in California, Oregon and Washington.
- ExlService Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:EXLS): The company reported earnings per share of $0.35 against expectations of $0.32 for a surprise of 9.37%. About the company: Exlservice Holdings Inc. provides offshore business process outsourcing solutions, primarily serving the needs of Global 1000 companies in the banking, financial services and insurance area. The service offerings include collections, cash management, loan servicing, research and reconciliation finance and accounting processes, customer support and technical support.
(Note: Earnings data are sourced from Yahoo! Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>
Check out our analysis of Jim Cramer’s latest stock calls