Third Quarter Earnings Winners
Following is information on companies whose earnings beat expectations in the third quarter of 2011.
- Cardiovascular Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSII): The company reported earnings per share of ($0.20) against expectations of ($0.23) for a surprise of 13.04%. About the company: Cardiovascular Systems, Inc. developed and manufactures a medical device that removes hardened plaque and calcium from arteries.
- CenterPoint Energy, Inc (NYSE:CNP): The company reported earnings per share of $0.37 against expectations of $0.29 for a surprise of 27.59%. About the company: CenterPoint Energy, Inc. is a public utility holding company. The Company, through its subsidiaries, conducts activities in electricity transmission and distribution, natural gas distribution and sales, interstate pipeline and gathering operations, and power generation.
- Chelsea Therapeutics International (NASDAQ:CHTP): The company reported earnings per share of ($0.18) against expectations of ($0.27) for a surprise of 33.33%. About the company: Chelsea Therapeutics International Ltd. is a biopharmaceutical company developing a pipeline of low toxicity antifolate compounds engineered to have anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor activity. The Company’s lead candidate is in development as a metabolically inert treatment alternative to Methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and other disorders.
- Clean Harbors, Inc. (NYSE:CLH): The company reported earnings per share of $0.70 against expectations of $0.52 for a surprise of 34.62%. About the company: Clean Harbors, Inc. provides a variety of environmental remediation and industrial waste management services to customers in the United States and Puerto Rico. The Company’s services include treatment and disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous solid and liquid waste, surface remediation, groundwater restoration, waste packaging, as well as analytical testing and consulting.
- Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR): The company reported earnings per share of ($0.34) against expectations of ($0.40) for a surprise of 15.00%. About the company: Clearwire Corporation provides wireless broadband services. The Company operates a wireless network in the United States as well as other countries.
- Cleco Corporation (NYSE:CNL): The company reported earnings per share of $1.09 against expectations of $0.99 for a surprise of 10.10%. About the company: Cleco Corporation generates, transmits, distributes, and sells electric energy to customers in Louisiana. The Company, through a subsidiary, also markets energy and energy management services. In addition, the Company is involved in energy asset development opportunities in the Southeastern region of the United States.
- Clorox Company (NYSE:CLX): The company reported earnings per share of $1.04 against expectations of $0.93 for a surprise of 11.83%. About the company: The Clorox Company produces and markets non-durable consumer products sold primarily through grocery and other retail stores. The Company’s principal products include household cleaning and bleach products, charcoal, cat litter, automotive care products, dressings, and trash bags. Clorox markets its products in the United States and other countries around the world.
- Cognizant Technology Solutions (NASDAQ:CTSH): The company reported earnings per share of $0.73 against expectations of $0.71 for a surprise of 2.82%. About the company: Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation provides custom Information Technology consulting and technology services as well as outsourcing services. The Company’s core competencies include technology strategy consulting, complex systems development, enterprise software package implementation and maintenance, data warehousing and business intelligence.
- Coherent, Inc. (NASDAQ:COHR): The company reported earnings per share of $0.96 against expectations of $0.85 for a surprise of 12.94%. About the company: Coherent, Inc. is a global company that manufactures and sells a variety of laser-based photonic products. The Company’s products are used in manufacturing and instrumentation applications that include optical telecommunication, semiconductor manufacturing, inspection and test, advance packaging, and reprographics. The electro-optical market consists of Fortune 500 customers.
- CommonWealth Reit (NYSE:CWH): The company reported earnings per share of $0.86 against expectations of $0.84 for a surprise of 2.38%. About the company: CommonWealth REIT is a real estate investment trust, or REIT. The Company primarily owns office buildings located in Central Business District and suburban areas of major metropolitan markets in the United States, and has a large concentration of properties leased to the U.S. Government and medical related tenants. CommonWealth also owns industrial lands in Hawaii.
(Note: Earnings data are sourced from Yahoo! Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>
Check out our analysis of Jim Cramer’s latest stock calls