Top 10 Stock Holdings of This $14 Billion Fund Now
Ruane Cunniff released its latest 13F filing. Ruane Cunniff is a relatively unknown money management firm, whose founder, William Ruane became involved in value investing after having met Warren Buffett at a value investing seminar run by Benjamin Graham. Buffett’s (and Graham’s) influence is shown by Ruane’s large holding of Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRKA) stock. Ruane Cunniff also manages the Sequoia Mutual Fund.
Following is information on the firm’s top 10 holdings.
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals (NYSE:VRX): Ruane Cunniff holds 36,751,257 shares values at $1,830,580,000 on March 31st 2011. About the company: Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. develops and distributes drugs. The Company develops drugs for unmet medical needs in central nervouse system disorders; and distributes generic and branded generic drugs in Latin American and Eastern Europe.
- Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRKA): Ruane Cunniff holds 9,695 shares values at $1,214,784,000 as of March 31st, 2011. About the company: Berkshire Hathaway Inc. is a holding company owning subsidiaries in a variety of business sectors. The Company’s principal operations are insurance business conducted nationwide on a primary basis and worldwide on a reinsurance basis. Berkshire’s other operations include The Buffalo News, aviation training, and retail furniture businesses, as well as shoe, candy, and rug manufacturing.
- TJX Cos. (NYSE:TJX): Ruane Cunniff holds 17,406,556 shares worth $856,628,000 as of March 31st, 2011. About the company: The TJX Companies, Inc. is an off-price apparel and home fashion retailer in the United States and worldwide. The Company operates off-price retail concepts in the US, Canada, and Europe that offer a wide range of brand name and designer merchandise. Competitors to Watch: Gordmans Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ:GMAN), Citi Trends, Inc. (NASDAQ:CTRN), Stein Mart, Inc. (NASDAQ:SMRT), Syms Corp. (NASDAQ:SYMS), Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE:WMT), Ross Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROST), Fred’s, Inc. (NASDAQ:FRED), Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT), Macy’s, Inc. (NYSE:M), and Dillard’s, Inc. (NYSE:DDS).
- Fastenal Co. (NASDAQ:FAST): Ruane Cunniff holds 11,373,114 shares worth $737,319,000 as of March 31st, 2011. About the company: Fastenal Company sells industrial and construction supplies in a wholesale and retail fashion. The Company markets its products and services throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Singapore, China, and The Netherlands. Top Competitors to Watch: W.W. Grainger, Inc. (NYSE:GWW), Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE:CAT), 3M Company (NYSE:MMM), and Honeywell International Inc. (NYSE:HON).
- Idexx Laboratoriaes Corp. (NASDAQ:IDXX): Ruane Cunniff holds 7,509,464 shares worth $$579,881,000 as of March 31st, 2011. About the company: IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. provides diagnostic, detection, and information systems for veterinary, food, and water testing applications. The Company also operates an international network of veterinary reference laboratories. IDEXX offers its products to customers worldwide.
- Mohawk Industries (NYSE:MHK): Ruane Cunniff holds 8,313,849 shares worth $508,392,000 as of March 31st, 2011. About the company: Mohawk Industries, Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets woven and tufted broadloom carpets and rugs for residential and commercial applications. The Company markets its products under brand names such as Mohawk, Aladdin, Alexander Smith, Bigelow, and Galaxy. Mohawk also offers bath rugs, area rugs, decorative throws, and a laminate product line, among other products.
- Precision Castparts Corp. (NYSE:PCP): Ruane Cunniff holds 3,097,300 shares worth $455,861,000 as of March 31st, 2011. About the company: Precision Castparts Corp. is a worldwide manufacture of complex metal components and products The Company manufactures large, complex structural investment castings and airfoil castings used in jet aircraft engines. Precision has also expanded in to the industrial gas turbine, industrial metal working tools and machines, and other metal products markets.
- Advance Auto Parts (NYSE:AAP): Ruane Cunniff holds 6,448,164 shares worth $423,129,000 as of March 31st, 2011. About the company: Advance Auto Parts, Inc. is a retailer of auto parts and accessories. The Company operates stores in various states, primarily located in the northeastern, southeastern, and midwestern regions of the United States, and in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
- Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG): Ruane Cunniff holds 633,160 shares worth $371,165,000 as of March 31st, 2011. About the company: Google, Inc. is a global technology company that provides a web-based search engine through its website. The Company offers a wide range of search options, including web, image, groups, directory and news searches. Competitors to Watch: Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO), Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), eBay (NASDAQ:EBAY), Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN), Bidu (NASDAQ:BIDU), Oracle (NASDAQ:ORCL), Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM), and AOL (NYSE:AOL).
- IBM (NYSE:IBM): Ruane Cunniff holds 1,469,204 shares worth $239,583,000 as of March 31st, 2011. About the company: International Business Machines Corporation provides computer solutions through the use of advanced information technology. The Company’s solutions include technologies, systems, products, services, software, and financing. IBM offers its products through its global sales and distribution organization, as well as through a variety of third party distributors and resellers. Competitors to Watch: Accenture plc (NYSE:ACN), Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:HPQ), Oracle (NASDAQ:ORCL), Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO), Intel (NASDAQ:INTC), Dell (NASDAQ:DELL), Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), SAP (NYSE:SAP), Teradata (NYSE:TDC) and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT).