With the Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) rising above 12,280, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) above 1333 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQQ) a modestly above 2,824 on the 32nd trading day of 2011, here is a group of stocks making moves on our radar and the reasons why:
1) Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ:CMCSA): Comcast Corporation is a provider of video, high-speed Internet and phone services. Shares are up over 3% to $25.06 per share today after Comcast reported a 7% increase in revenue in its latest quarterly earnings report. Additionally, earnings rose to $1.02 billion, or $.36 cents a share, from $955 million, or $.33 cents a share, in the quarter a year ago.The company recently acquired General Electric’s (NYSE:GE) NBC unit. The company sees major opportunities in the content arena in the coming years. The stock hit a 52-week high today of $25.13.
2) Family Dollar Stores (NYSE:FDO): The Company operates stores located throughout the United States that offer merchandise that includes consumables, home products, apparel and accessories, seasonal and electronics. Shares have skyrocketed over 21% to $53.53 per share today following the news of Nelson Peltz’s New York-based Trian Fund Management LP proposing a bid of $55 to $60 a share on a takeover of the company. There still may be an arbitrage opportunity in play here…
3) Genzyme Corporation (NASDAQ:GENZ): The Company focuses on developing therapeutics for rare disorders, renal diseases, orthopaedics, cancer, transplant and immune disease, and diagnostic and predictive testing. The stock is up 1.44% to $75.43 per share, and up over $3 since the start of the week. Sanofi (NYSE:SNY) announced it will buy Genzyme for $74 per share in cash plus payout. The deal marks the second-biggest acquisition in biotech history!
4) Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF): Abercrombie & Fitch Co. is a specialty retailer that operates stores selling casual apparel, such as knit shirts, graphic t-shirts, jeans, woven shirts and personal care and other accessories for men, women and kids. Shares are up over 6% to $56.75 per share today after a strong quarterly earnings release for the retailer. Abercrombie reported net income of $92.6 million, or $1.03 per share, up from $47.5 million, or $.53 cents per share, a year ago. Revenue rose 23% to $1.15 billion from $936 million.
5) Dean Foods (NYSE:DF): Dean Foods Company is a food and beverage company that produces a full line of Company-branded and private label dairy and dairy-related products. The company posted a loss of $20.7 million, or $.11 cents per share, for the quarter, compared with year-ago earnings of $50.3 million, or $.27 cents per share. Revenue increased to $3.15 billion versus $2.99 billion in the prior period. David Tepper is seeing a significant return on his investment this year>>
6) OfficeMax (NYSE:OMX): The Company distributes and retails a variety of products such as office supplies, technology products, and business furniture. The stock is down over 9% to $15.50 per share after the company said it earned $12.1 million, or $.14 cents per share, for the period ended Dec. 25. That compares with a loss of $3.2 million, or $.04 cents per share, a year earlier. Revenue declined 2% to $1.77 billion from $1.81 billion, missing Wall Street’s $1.79 billion.
7) Denny’s (NASDAQ:DENN): Denny’s Corp. is a full-service family restaurant chain, operating directly and through franchisees. Shares are down over 1.4% to $4.02 per share ahead of this evenings earnings announcement. Analysts are expecting $.08 per share on $142.86 million in revenue.
8) Sirius XM Radio Inc. (NASDAQ:SIRI): The Company provides its services throughout the continental United States for a monthly subscription fee. Sirius delivers various streams of commercial-free music in every genre, as well as streams of news, sports, weather, talk, comedy, and public radio. Shares are exploding higher over 9% today to $1.84 per share. Morgan Stanley (NYSE:MS) put out a bullish note this morning as auto sales recover. The investment bank sees the company’s ability to return capital to shareholders in ’12-’13.
9) CBS Corporation (NYSE:CBS): The Company operates television and radio stations, produces and syndicates television programs, publishes books, provides online content as well as provides outdoor advertising. The stock hit a 52-week high this week. Shares are up .46% to $21.75 per share today. Almost 5 million shares have traded hands so far today. The big news for the Late Show was the announcement of plagued Lindsay Lohan performing Letterman’s Top Ten…
10) Deere & Company (NYSE:DE): Deere & Company manufactures and distributes a range of agricultural, construction and forestry, and commercial and consumer equipment. Shares are up over 2.5% to $95.96 per share today. The company said its net income more than doubled, due to growing sales of large farm machinery in the U.S. and Canada. The Moline, Ill. company earned $513.7 million, or $1.20 per share, for the fiscal first quarter ended Jan. 31, up from $243.2 million, or $.57 cents per share, a year earlier. Total revenue rose 27% to $6.12 billion. If you’re missing the economic recovery, then you are missing the ability to make profitable investments…