Transportation Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks
Gainers (% price change)
- Hornbeck Offshore (NYSE:HOS): The shares closed at $26.40, up $0.63, or 2.44%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $710.50 million. About the company: Hornbeck Offshore Services, Inc. provides marine transportation services to the offshore oil and gas industry. The Company owns and operates deepwater offshore supply vessels in the Gulf of Mexico, which support day-to-day operations of oil drilling rigs and production platforms. Hornbeck also owns and operates ocean going tugs and barges in the northeastern United States and Puerto Rico.
- AMR Corporation (NYSE:AMR): The shares closed at $2.50, up $0.05, or 2.04%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $838.02 million. About the company: AMR Corporation operates an airline that provides scheduled passenger, freight, and mail service throughout North America, the Caribbean, Latin America, Europe, and the Pacific. The Company also provides connecting service throughout the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean. In addition, AMR provides aviation services, call center management services, and investment advisory services.
- Genco Shipping & Trading (NYSE:GNK): The shares closed at $6.90, up $0.07, or 1.02%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $248.17 million. About the company: Genco Shipping & Trading Ltd. offers shipping services. The Company’s drybulk carrier ships transport iron ore, coal, grain, steel, and other products.
- Navios Maritime Hldgs (NYSE:NM): The shares closed at $3.04, up $0.02, or 0.66%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $309.13 million. About the company: Navios Maritime Holdings, Inc. offers maritime freight transportation services. The Company specializes in worldwide carriage, trading, storage and related logistics of international bulk cargoes.
- Canadian Pacific Railway (NYSE:CP): The shares closed at $50.50, up $0.26, or 0.52%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $8.56 billion. About the company: Canadian Pacific Railway Limited is a Class 1 transcontinental railway, providing freight and intermodal services over a network in Canada and the United States. The Company’s mainline network serves major Canadian ports and cities from Montreal to Vancouver, and key centers in the United States Midwest and Northeast.
Losers (% price change)
- Universal Truckload (NASDAQ:UACL): The shares closed at $13.11, down $1.21, or 8.45%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $204.44 million. About the company: Universal Truckload Services, Inc. provides non-asset based transportation services throughout the United States and in Canada. The Company primarily operates through a network of independent sales agents and owner-operators. Universal Truckload provides flatbed and dry van operations as well as intermodal support services.
- Patriot Transportation (NASDAQ:PATR): The shares closed at $20.79, down $1.88, or 8.29%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $192.93 million. About the company: Patriot Transportation Holding, Inc. operates transportation and real estate businesses. The Company hauls liquid and dry bulk commodities by motor carrier and serves the flatbed portion of the trucking industry. Patriot also acquires, constructs, leases, operates, and manages land and buildings to generate both current cash flows and long-term capital appreciation.
- Republic Airways Hldgs (NASDAQ:RJET): The shares closed at $2.57, down $0.21, or 7.55%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $124.11 million. About the company: Republic Airways Holdings Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides passenger services. The company operates as US Airways Express, America West Express, and American Connection. Republic provides US Airways, American and America West with portions of their regional service, including service out of Boston, Columbus, Indianapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and St Louis.
- Ship Finance Intl. Ltd. (NYSE:SFL): The shares closed at $11.84, down $0.8, or 6.33%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $936.84 million. About the company: Ship Finance International Ltd. owns, and charters out, ships. The Company’s fleet includes crude oil tankers, oil/bulk/ore vessels, dry bulk carriers, and jack up oil rigs.
- DryShips Inc. (NASDAQ:DRYS): The shares closed at $2.24, down $0.15, or 6.28%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $894.06 million. About the company: DryShips Inc. owns and operates drybulk carriers. Commodities transported by the Company consist of major bulks, which include iron ore, coal, and grain, and minor bulks such as bauxite, phosphate and steel products. The Company also owns Ultra Deep Water Rigs.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>