Transportation Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks on Oct 17th
Gainers (% price change)
- Seaspan Corporation (NYSE:SSW): The shares closed at $13.58, up $0.3, or 2.26%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $937.24 million. About the company: Seaspan Corp. operates a fleet of containerships. The Company’s ships are chartered to customers on a long-term fixed-rate basis.
- Guangshen Railway Co. Ltd (NYSE:GSH): The shares closed at $16.14, up $0.16, or 1%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.29 billion. About the company: Guangshen Railway Company Limited provides railroad passenger, freight transportation, railway facilities, and technical services. The Company also sells food, beverages and merchandise on aboard and in train stations.
Losers (% price change)
- Excel Maritime Carriers (NYSE:EXM): The shares closed at $2.62, down $0.39, or 12.96%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $224.94 million. About the company: Excel Maritime Carriers Ltd. owns and operates dry bulk carrier vessels and provides worldwide sea borne transportation services for dry bulk cargo. Excel’s business strategy is to expand and diversify its fleet to achieve economies of scale and marketing strength in each of the drybulk sectors in which it operates.
- FreightCar America, Inc. (NASDAQ:RAIL): The shares closed at $14.95, down $1.32, or 8.11%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $178.74 million. About the company: FreightCar America Inc. designs and manufactures aluminum and steel bodied railroad freight cars. The Company also refurbishes and sells replacement parts for railcars. FreightCar America’s primary customers are leasing companies, utilities and railroads.
- DryShips Inc. (NASDAQ:DRYS): The shares closed at $2.55, down $0.19, or 6.93%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.02 billion. About the company: DryShips Inc. owns and operates drybulk carriers. Commodities transported by the Company consist of major bulks, which include iron ore, coal, and grain, and minor bulks such as bauxite, phosphate and steel products. The Company also owns Ultra Deep Water Rigs.
- UTi Worldwide Inc. (NASDAQ:UTIW): The shares closed at $14.27, down $1.01, or 6.61%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.47 billion. About the company: UTI Worldwide, Inc. is a global, non-asset-based supply chain management business providing supply chain logistics services and planning and optimization solutions. The Company’s services include freight forwarding, customs brokerage, and warehousing services such as the coordination of shipping and the storage of raw materials, supplies, components, and finished goods.
- AMR Corporation (NYSE:AMR): The shares closed at $2.76, down $0.18, or 6.12%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $925.17 million. About the company: AMR Corporation operates an airline that provides scheduled passenger, freight, and mail service throughout North America, the Caribbean, Latin America, Europe, and the Pacific. The Company also provides connecting service throughout the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean. In addition, AMR provides aviation services, call center management services, and investment advisory services.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>