Utilities Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks
Gainers (% price change)
- Huaneng Power Intl., Inc (NYSE:HNP): The shares closed at $17.00, up $0.33, or 1.98%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.97 billion. About the company: Huaneng Power International, Inc. develops, constructs, owns and operates coal-fired power plants throughout China.
- TransCanada Corp. (NYSE:TRP): The shares closed at $41.28, up $0.33, or 0.81%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $29.02 billion. About the company: TransCanada Corporation is the parent company of TransCanada PipeLines Limited. The Company is focused on natural gas transmission and power services. TransCanada’s network of pipeline transports the majority of Western Canada’s natural gas production to markets in Canada and the United States. The Company also has interests in power plants in Canada and the United States.
- RGC Resources Inc. (NASDAQ:RGCO): The shares closed at $18.94, up $0.08, or 0.42%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $174.89 million. About the company: RGC Resources, Inc. and its subsidiaries distribute and sell natural gas and propane. The Company serves residential, commercial, and industrial customers in the Roanoke Valley and Bluefield areas of southwestern Virginia, as well as southern West Virginia.
Losers (% price change)
- Clean Energy Fuels Corp. (NASDAQ:CLNE): The shares closed at $11.74, down $0.64, or 5.17%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $826.13 million. About the company: Clean Energy Fuels Corporation designs, builds, finances and operates natural gas filling stations for vehicle fleets. The Company also helps its customers acquire and finance natural gas vehicles and obtain local, state, and federal clean air rebates and incentives.
- New Jersey Resources Corp (NYSE:NJR): The shares closed at $41.80, down $2.23, or 5.06%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.73 billion. About the company: New Jersey Resources Corporation provides retail and wholesale energy services to customers in New Jersey and in states from the Gulf Coast to New England, and Canada. The Company’s principal subsidiary, New Jersey Natural Gas Co., is a local distribution company serving customers in central and northern New Jersey.
- Energen Corporation (NYSE:EGN): The shares closed at $42.26, down $2.25, or 5.06%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $3.05 billion. About the company: Energen Corporation is a diversified energy holding company. The Company acquires, develops, explores, and produces oil, natural gas and natural gas liquids in the continental United States. The Company also purchases, distributes and sells natural gas, principally in central and north Alabama.
- National Fuel Gas Co. (NYSE:NFG): The shares closed at $50.31, down $2.56, or 4.85%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $4.16 billion. About the company: National Fuel Gas Company is an integrated natural gas company with operations in all segments of the natural gas industry, including utility, pipeline and storage, exploration and production, and marketing operations. The Company operates across the United States.
- Crosstex Energy, Inc. (NASDAQ:XTXI): The shares closed at $13.75, down $0.7, or 4.84%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $648.74 million. About the company: Crosstex Energy, Inc. is an independent midstream energy services company that offers supply and marketing services to oil and gas producers and consumers. The Company is involved in natural gas gathering, treating, processing, transmission, distribution, supply and marketing, and crude oil marketing. Crosstex owns pipelines and plant facilities in several key regions.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>