Utilities Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks on Oct 21st
Gainers (% price change)
- Veolia Environnement (ADR (NYSE:VE): The shares closed at $15.33, up $0.65, or 4.43%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $7.75 billion. About the company: Veolia Environnement operates utility and public transportation businesses. The Company supplies drinking water, provides waste management services, manages and maintains heating and air conditioning systems, and operates rail and road passenger transportation systems.
- Companhia de Saneamento (NYSE:SBS): The shares closed at $52.30, up $1.89, or 3.75%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $5.96 billion. About the company: Cia de Saneamento Basico do Estado de Sao Paulo (SABESP) collects, treats, and distributes water. The Company also engineers and constructs water distribution infrastructure and water treatment systems. SABESP operates in the Brazilian State of Sao Paulo.
- The AES Corporation (NYSE:AES): The shares closed at $11.19, up $0.37, or 3.42%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $8.76 billion. About the company: The AES Corporation acquires, develops, owns, and operates generation plants and distribution businesses in several countries. The Company sells electricity under long term contracts and serves customers under its regulated utility businesses. AES also also mines coal, turns seawater into drinking water, and develops alternative sources of energy.
- The Empire District (NYSE:EDE): The shares closed at $19.77, up $0.63, or 3.29%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $829.35 million. About the company: The Empire District Electric Company generates, purchases, transmits, distributes, and sells electricity. The Company supplies electricity to parts of Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Empire also provides water service to several towns in Missouri.
- CPFL Energia S.A. (NYSE:CPL): The shares closed at $24.76, up $0.78, or 3.25%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $11.91 billion. About the company: CPFL Energia S.A., through its subsidiaries, distributes, generates and commercializes electricity in Brazil. The Company also commercializes electricity and provides electricity-related services to its affiliates as well as unaffiliated parties.
Losers (% price change)
- Crosstex Energy, Inc. (NASDAQ:XTXI): The shares closed at $13.33, down $1.26, or 8.64%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $628.92 million. About the company: Crosstex Energy, Inc. is an independent midstream energy services company that offers supply and marketing services to oil and gas producers and consumers. The Company is involved in natural gas gathering, treating, processing, transmission, distribution, supply and marketing, and crude oil marketing. Crosstex owns pipelines and plant facilities in several key regions.
- Suntech Power Hldgs. Co (NYSE:STP): The shares closed at $2.07, down $0.07, or 3.27%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $372.91 million. About the company: Suntech Power Holdings Company Ltd produces solar cells. The Company designs, develops, manufactures and markets a variety of photovoltaic (PV) cells and modules. Suntech Power is based in China.
- Crosstex Energy, L.P. (NASDAQ:XTEX): The shares closed at $16.95, down $0.54, or 3.09%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $858.18 million. About the company: Crosstex Energy, LP, is a midstream energy company which gathers, transmits, processes, and markets natural gas. The Company connects natural gas wells, largely in the Texas Gulf Coast area, to its gathering system, removes impurities and natural gas liquids, and transports the natural gas to industrial end-users, utilities, and other pipelines.
- EnerNOC, Inc. (NASDAQ:ENOC): The shares closed at $8.44, down $0.25, or 2.88%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $225.89 million. About the company: EnerNOC, Inc. develops and provides clean and intelligent power solutions to commercial, institutional and industrial customers, as well as electric power grid operators and utilities. The Company, through its network centers remotely manages electricity consumption across a network of end-use customer sites.
- RGC Resources Inc. (NASDAQ:RGCO): The shares closed at $18.10, down $0.15, or 0.82%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $167.13 million. About the company: RGC Resources, Inc. and its subsidiaries distribute and sell natural gas and propane. The Company serves residential, commercial, and industrial customers in the Roanoke Valley and Bluefield areas of southwestern Virginia, as well as southern West Virginia.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>