1) Novellus Systems (NASDAQ:NVLS): The stock is up over 11% to $36.70 after Intel reported it will boost spending to chip-equipment companies. Deutsche Bank upgraded the stock from sell to buy.
3) Molycorp, Inc (NYSE:MCP): Shares are hammered over 5% today to $46 per share. The stock doubled in the month of December, so it is evident investors are taking profits. The company also announced it will lobby congress for federal loan guarantees on their operations in California.
4) Merck (NYSE:MRK): Shares are down over 1% to $34.30 on news of a drug pipeline setback for the company. Citigroup downgraded the stock from buy to hold.
5) American International Group (NYSE:AIG): The Treasury announced a restructuring plan for AIG to repay its bailout funds from the height of the financial crisis in 2008. The government currently owns a 92% stake in the company and plans to sell their shares over the next 2 years. The stock is down over 5% to $53.88 per share.
6) Sealy Corp. (NYSE:ZZ) saw fourth quarter profits erode to a loss. Meanwhile, Sealy reported growth in sales and margins. Wall Street only cares about the bottom line as shares are selling off over 1% to $2.95 per share.
7) FedEx (NYSE:FDX): Shares were upgraded by Citigroup to a ‘Buy’ rating and hit $97 per share earlier in the day. Citigroup sees strong earnings potential ahead for the company.
8) M&T Bank Corp (NYSE:MTB) posted $1.59 per share, better than analyst’s expectations of $1.45 per share. Even on a bright note for profits, investors are selling their shares into the news. The stock is down 1% to $85.47 per share.
9) KLA-Tencor Corp. (NASDAQ:KLAC): Shares are up over 6% to $42.23 per share. The company is received a big push up on the Intel sales record and positive impact on the tech sector.
10) Monsanto (NYSE:MON): Analysts at Argo Research upgraded the company to a Buy rating. Shares were up in the morning and have since faded trading down less than 1% to $74.58. The latest crops report this week was very bullish for Monsanto.
11) Target (NYSE:TGT) announced plans to expand in Canada. Such a move could be a new revenue growth catalyst for the company. Shares are trading at $55.24 per share today.
12) Marathon Oil (NYSE:MRO) will spin off its oil refining division. Share are trading at $42.77 per share. Spin-offs usually fare very well for the value of a company’s stock price.
14) Micron Technology (NASDAQ:MU). Shares are up to $9.70 per share today. The company recently received an upgrade on shares from Baird. Again, another beneficiary of Intel’s momentum here.
15) Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO) shares reached a weekly high today of $21.24 per share. The company is facing lots of heat from an active investors who recently sold shares on rights claims.
Start Off 2011 by Improving Your Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter >>