What’s Moving These Shares January 26th?
With the Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) breaking 12,000, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) ticking just under 1300 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQQ) up on the 17th trading day of 2011, here is a group of stocks making moves on our radar and the reasons why:
1) Boeing (NYSE:BA): While the markets are strong today, Boeing is a dog on the Dow trading down over 3.5% to $69.52 today. In the company’s latest quarterly earnings report, profit slipped 8% and the 2011 outlook was reduced. Fourth quarter revenue dropped 11%, a cautious sign to investors today.
2) Starbucks (NASDAQ:SBUX): Shares hit a 52-week high this week ahead of its upcoming quarterly earnings report. The stock is trading at $33 per share ahead of tonight’s earnings announcement. The analyst consensus is for $.39 per share for the recent quarter. Starbucks has beaten estimates 3 out of the past 4 quarterly earnings releases. During the economic downturn, Starbucks aggressively implement cost-cutting programs to ensure viability in the turn around. Today’s report will be a good indicator of the success of the company’s turnaround strategy.
3) Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO): The company’s shares are down over 2% to $15.66 per share today. Yahoo’s forecast of revenues was meet with disappointment by analysts on Wall Street. Profits jumped two-fold in the latest quarterly report, yet revenues declined 4%. The company is experiencing a turnaround strategy in its early stages.
4) Xerox Corp (NYSE:XRX): Shares of Xerox are being hit hard today, down over 7%, to $10.50 per share. Even though sales rose 42%, profits were down year-over-year. Also today, Xerox stated that Lawrence Zimmerman, CFO, will retire next month, and will be replaced by Luca Maestri, current CFO of Nokia Siemens Networks. The CFO change another factor heckling the stock to the downside today.
5) Oracle Corp (NASDAQ:ORCL): The stock hit a 52-week high today of $32.73 per share. Oracle’s competitor, SAP, released a very bullish quarterly earnings report. Consequently, investors feel even more confident about owning Oracle shares today, as the stock continues to be in the green.
6) ConocoPhillips (NYSE:COP): Shares hit a 52-week high today of $69.42 per share on the heels of a positive earnings release. The stock is up over 2% today as the company announced a rise of 54% in profits.
7) United Technologies Corp (NYSE:UTX): Shares are trading down less than 1% to $81 per share following the company’s earnings report. Revenues increased 6%, while earnings rose 11.7%. Guidance for 2011 suggests the company’s earnings could miss current expectations for the future.
8) Rockwell Automation (NYSE:ROK): The stock is on fire to the upside, up over 8%, to $81.37 per share. The company doubled its profit and improved its outlook. The stock hit a 52-week high this morning.
9) US Airways (NYSE:LCC): Shares are up almost 10% to $11.15 per share after the company announced it turned its past losses around to a profit in the most recent quarter. Also, revenues rose 11%. Investors are cheering the double-digit growth today.
10) Citrix Systems (NASDAQ:CTXS): The stock is up 2% today to $63.20 per share ahead of the company’s after-the-bell quarterly earnings announcement. The consensus among analysts is for the company to earn $.60 per share for the quarter. The company has beaten expectations 2 out of the past 4 quarterly reports.
Start Off 2011 by Improving Your Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter >>