What’s Moving These Shares January 5th?
2) Family Dollar (NYSE:FDO): Shares are down over 8% to $45.22 today after missing on the Street’s expectations for its quarterly profit report released earlier this morning.
3) Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F): The stock is hitting a 52-week high breaking $18 per share following news that Toyota’s (NYSE:TM) fell in 2010. Ford is back in the number two spot again, just behind number one General Motors (NYSE:GM) in sales.
4) Walgreen Company (NYSE:WAG): This morning, the company said December sales rose 7.5%. The acquisition of Duane Reade gave a boost to Walgreen’s sales. The drug-store chain is looking to step up the pressure on market leader CVS Caremark Corp. (NYSE:CVS) in 2011. Shares of Walgreen broke $40 per share today and hit a new 52-week high.
5) Alcoa Inc. (NYSE:AA): The aluminum company was downgraded to hold from buy at Citigroup (NYSE:C). The price target remained $17 per share. Shares were dipping earlier this morning, but have since recovered this afternoon.
6) Sprint (NYSE:S): Shares are up over 4% as S&P Equity Research put out a report today highlighting pressure in 2011 on the cable operators from Sprint’s WiMax JV. 4G technology could finally be the catalyst Sprint needs in 2011.
7) Amgen Inc. (NASDAQ:AMGN): The stock was upgraded at Bank of America (NYSE:BAC) to Neutral from Underperform following a positive survey on the company’s two key products, Epogen and Zgeva. Price target raised to $59 from $56. Shares hit $57 today.
8) The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS): Shares hit a 10-year high of $39.98 today. The acquisition of ESPN has proved to be a big winner for the company, especially following the audience capture of the college football bowl games recently.
9) Atheros Communications, Inc (NASDAQ:ATHR): This ’09 Wall St. Cheat Sheet Premium selection has been chosen by Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) for $45 per share. We liked Atheros in the $20s. For loyal and patient shareholders, the buyout offer is a big payday.
10) Hess Corp. (NYSE:HES): The stock hit a 52-week high today of $79.40 as shares trade up over 2% on 2.28 million shares traded. With gas prices rising at the pump, investors are cheering shares higher today.