Winning Stocks This Earnings Season to Analyze
Following is information on companies whose earnings beat expectations in the third quarter of 2011.
- Extreme Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ:EXTR): The company reported earnings per share of $0.05 against expectations of $0.03 for a surprise of 66.67%. About the company: Extreme Networks, Inc. provides switching solutions for local area networks. The Company uses its custom ASICs and a common hardware, software, and management architecture to offer customers LAN solutions.
- FARO Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ:FARO): The company reported earnings per share of $0.38 against expectations of $0.29 for a surprise of 31.03%. About the company: FARO Technologies, Inc. designs, develops, and markets software and portable, computerized measurement devices. The Company’s products allow manufacturers to perform three-dimensional inspections of parts and assemblies on the shop floor. This helps eliminate manufacturing errors, and thereby increases productivity for a variety of industries in FARO’s worldwide customer base.
- FTI Consulting, Inc. (NYSE:FCN): The company reported earnings per share of $0.70 against expectations of $0.61 for a surprise of 14.75%. About the company: FTI Consulting, Inc. provides forensic and litigation consulting, corporate finance, economic consulting and technology services. The Company offers services designed to help companies address critical issues and improve performance before encountering disputes or financial difficulties.
- Fair, Isaac, Inc. (NYSE:FICO): The company reported earnings per share of $0.64 against expectations of $0.61 for a surprise of 4.92%. About the company: Fair Isaac Corporation provides analytics, including predictive modeling, decision analysis, intelligence management, decision management systems, and consulting services. The Company helps companies in countries around the world acquire customers more efficiently, increase customer value, reduce fraud, lower operating expenses, and enter new markets more profitably.
- Franklin Electric Co., Inc. (NASDAQ:FELE): The company reported earnings per share of $0.82 against expectations of $0.75 for a surprise of 9.33%. About the company: Franklin Electric Co., Inc. designs, manufactures, and distributes electric motors, electronic motor controls, and related equipment. The Company sells its products around the world primarily to original equipment manufacturers of pumps, petroleum equipment, compressors, fans, heating and air conditioning equipment, swimming pool equipment, medical furniture, and business machines.
- Fusion-io, Inc. (NYSE:FIO): The company reported earnings per share of $0.15 against expectations of $0.03 for a surprise of 400.00%. About the company: Fusion-io, Inc. engages in the development, marketing, and sale of storage memory platforms for data centralization in the United States.
- Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ:GRMN): The company reported earnings per share of $0.71 against expectations of $0.50 for a surprise of 42.00%. About the company: Garmin Ltd. provides navigation, communications, and information devices, most of which are enabled by Global Positioning System technology. The Company designs, develops, manufactures, and markets hand-held, portable, and fixed mount GPS-enabled products and other navigation, communications, and information products under the GARMIN brand name.
- Gen-Probe Incorporated (NASDAQ:GPRO): The company reported earnings per share of $0.57 against expectations of $0.54 for a surprise of 5.56%. About the company: Gen-Probe Incorporated develops, manufactures, and commercializes diagnostic products based on its genetic probe technologies. The company’s products are used for the clinical diagnosis of human diseases and for screening donated human blood. Clinical diagnostic products are marketed to laboratories and public health institutions in the United States and Canada.
- Geo Group Inc (NYSE:GEO): The company reported earnings per share of $0.41 against expectations of $0.40 for a surprise of 2.50%. About the company: The Geo Group Inc. operates private correctional facilities located mostly in the United States, but also in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and South Africa. The Company offers educational programs, vocational training, and rehabilitation therapy services.
- Georgia Gulf Corporation (NYSE:GGC): The company reported earnings per share of $0.99 against expectations of $0.86 for a surprise of 15.12%. About the company: Georgia Gulf Corporation manufactures and markets chemical and plastic products. The Company’s products include electrochemicals, methanol, and aromatic chemicals. Georgia Gulf’s products are sold for further processing into a variety of end-use applications, such as plastic piping, window frames made from PVC resins, and bonding agents for wood products.
(Note: Earnings data are sourced from Yahoo! Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>
Check out our analysis of Jim Cramer’s latest stock calls