The following 10 stocks have the highest dividend yield among all companies whose market capitalization is at least $10 billion:
- Telecomunicacoes de Sao Paulo (NYSE:VIV): This stock has a dividend yield of 25.10% and its market capitalization is $14.37 billion. About the company: Vivo Participacoes S.A. provides mobile telecommunication services, cellular phone data transmission and mobile internet services throughout Brazil.
- Annaly Capital Management, Inc. (NYSE:NLY): This stock has a dividend yield of 13.50% and its market capitalization is $14.89 billion. About the company: Annaly Capital Management Inc. is a real estate investment trust which owns and manages assets and funds on behalf of institutional and individual investors worldwide. The Company manages a portfolio of mortgage backed securities, including mortgage pass through certificates, collaterized mortgage obligations, and other securities.
- iShares Barclays TIPS Bond Fund (NYSE:TIP): This stock has a dividend yield of 11.40% and its market capitalization is $20.47 billion. About the company: iShares Barclays US Treasury Inflation Protected Securities Fund is an exchange-traded fund incorporated in the USA. The Fund will track the Barclays Capital US Treasury Inflation Notes Index. The Index measures the performance of inflation protected public obligation of the US Treasury, also known as “TIPS”.
- Banco Santander SA (NYSE:STD): This stock has a dividend yield of 9.20% and its market capitalization is $93.01 billion. About the company: Banco Santander SA attracts deposits and offers retail, commercial and private banking, and asset management services. The Bank offers consumer credit, mortgage loans, lease financing, factoring, mutual funds, pension funds, insurance, commercial credit, investment banking services, structured finance, and advice on mergers and acquisitions.
- Telefonica, S.A. (NYSE:TEF): This stock has a dividend yield of 9.30% and its market capitalization is $106.25 billion. About the company: Telefonica S.A. provides telecommunications services mainly to countries in Europe and Latin America. The Company offers fixed-line and mobile telephone, Internet, and data transmission services to residential and corporate customers.
- Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA (NYSE:BBVA): This stock has a dividend yield of 7.70% and its market capitalization is $48.86 billion. About the company: Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A. attracts deposits and offers retail, wholesale, and investment banking services. The Bank offers consumer and mortgage loans, private banking, asset management, insurance, mutual funds, and securities brokerage services. It operates in Europe and Latin America.
- National Grid PLC (NYSE:NGG): This stock has a dividend yield of 7.80% and its market capitalization is $25.47 billion. About the company: National Grid PLC owns, operates and develops electricity and gas networks. The Group’s electricity transmission and gas distribution networks are located throughout the United Kingdom and in the north-eastern section of the United States. They also own liquefied natural gas storage facilities in Britain and provide infrastructure services to the mobile telecom industry.
- Nokia Corporation (NYSE:NOK): This stock has a dividend yield of 7.60% and its market capitalization is $22.88 billion. About the company: Nokia Corporation is a player in the mobile industry. The Company makes a range of mobile devices with services and software that enable people to experience music, navigation, video, television, imaging, games, business mobility and more. Nokia also provides equipment, solutions and services for communications networks. Competitors to Watch: Broadcom Corp. (NASDAQ:BRCM), Nokia Corporation (NYSE:NOK), Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC), Sprint (NYSE:S), Verizon (NYSE:VZ), AT&T (NYSE:T), Nokia (NYSE:NOK), Intel (NASDAQ:INTC), NVIDIA (NASDAQ:NVDA), Motorola Mobility (NYSE:MMI), Motorola Solutions (NYSE:MSI), Infineon (IFNNY) Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) and Texas Instruments Inc. (NYSE:TXN).
- YPF Sociedad Anonima (NYSE:YPF): This stock has a dividend yield of 8.10% and its market capitalization is $16.72 billion. About the company: YPF Sociedad Anonima explores for, develops, and produces oil and natural gas in South America, the United States, and Indonesia. The Company also refines, markets, transports, and distributes oil and other petroleum products, petroleum derivatives, petrochemicals, and liquid petroleum gas.
- AstraZeneca PLC (NYSE:AZN): This stock has a dividend yield of 7.30% and its market capitalization is $69.93 billion. About the company: AstraZeneca PLC is a holding company. Through its subsidiaries, the Group researches, manufactures and sells pharmaceutical and medical products. The Group focuses its operations on seven therapeutic areas: Gastrointestinal, Oncology, Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Central Nervous System, Pain Control, Anaesthesia and Infection. Competitors to Watch: Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE), Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK), Eli Lilly & Co. (NYSE:LLY), Sanofi-Aventis SA (NYSE:SNY), Abbott Laboratories (NYSE:ABT), Novartis AG (NYSE:NVS), Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ), Roche Holding Ltd. (RHHBY), GlaxoSmithKline plc (NYSE:GSK) and Bristol-Myers Squibb (NYSE:BMY).
Of course, dividend payments are not guaranteed, and are dependent, in large part, on the company’s ability to generate free cash flow and pay dividends and interest to senior securities holders. Debt covenants and poor future prospects can also restrict the ability of companies to pay out dividends in the future. Among the companies on this list, Nokia’s dividend payments going forward are obviously at risk. Dividend yield is calculated as (Most Recent Full-Year Dividend) / (Current Share Price). This means that the dividend yield moves inversely to the stock price: as the stock price declines, the dividend yield goes up, and vice versa. High dividend yields may be the result of a company’s stock declining due to adverse market conditions.
(Note: Data on dividend yields and market capitalizations are sourced from the Motley Fool’s stock screener. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Father’s Day is Approaching June 19th: Make Your Father the Rich Dad with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s Winning Newsletter!