The two front-runners in social media are Twitter and Facebook. In case Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) is thinking about buying Twitter to compete with Microsoft’s (NASDAQ:MSFT) partial ownership of Facebook, they should see how the two social networks match up:
- 88 percent of people are aware of Facebook, while 87 percent are aware of Twitter;
- 12 percent of Facebook users update their status every day vs. 52 percent for Twitter;
- Males make up 46 percent of Facebook users, and 48 percent of Twitter;
- 30 percent access Facebook via mobile vs. 37 percent for Twitter;
- 40 percent follow a brand on Facebook vs. 25 percent on Twitter; and,
- 70 percent of Facebook users are outside the U.S. vs. 60 percent for Twitter.