Get 15 Reasons Markets Moved This Week sent to your inbox. Just type your email in the beige box in the right column and select these updates.
Dow 12,092 S&P500 1,310 Nasdaq 2,769 Gold 1,348
If you haven’t already checked out our awesome new high tech stock research tools, we invite you to take a short video tour or simply get started: Go to Wall St. Watchdog >>
Now, for the 15 reasons markets moved this week:
- Energy (NYSE:XLE) shares led markets higher. Egypt(NYSE:EGPT) is the catalyst of the moment, and energy companies are exploding to the upside. Don’t Miss: These 4 Energy Stocks are Making People Rich Right Now >>
- US Economic data prevented bears from taking over. Consumer Spending met expectations, Chicago PMI beat, and Dallas Fed Manufacturing was up but missed Wall Street projections by a little. Here’s How New Personal Consumption Data Compares to the Past >>
- If you’re note trading Oil (NYSE:USO), you’re not in the spotlight. But what the hell is happening with Gold (NYSE:GLD)? Let Us Help: Here’s a Daily Trading Brief on Gold & Silver >>
Here are Monday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM), Pall Corporation (NYSE:PLL), Massey Energy Company (NYSE:MEE), Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE:CHK), Sohu.com Inc. (NASDAQ:SOHU), Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE:ITW), Changyou.com (NASDAQ:CYOU), NuStar Energy (NYSE:NS), Baidu.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:BIDU), Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:APC), International Rectifier Corporation (NYSE:IRF), Intel Corporation (NYSE:USO), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NYSE:AMD).
- Now Check Out What’s Moving These Shares on the Final Trading Day of January >>
- Manufacturing data came in strong. This morning’s ISM PMI release had Wall Street getting high on growth. Don’t Miss: CHART OF THE DAY: A Major Engine of the Economy Is Not Double Dipping >>
- The Dow busted 12,000 on better-than-expected earnings. Blue chips such as Pfizer (NYSE:PFE), United Parcel Service (NYSE:UPS), and Archer-Daniels Midland (NYSE:ADM) gave investors more reason to cheer. Are stocks over-bought or Is the S&P 500 Index Undervalued? >>
- Oil (NYSE:USO) is as popular on Wall Street as Egypt is in the mainstream media. We put together a special feature to get you in the game: Oil ETFs: The Top 10 Exchange Traded Funds for Your Oil Investing List >>
Here are Tuesday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- United Parcel Service (NYSE:UPS), Energizer Holdings (NYSE:ENR), Manitowoc Company (NYSE:MTW), Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE), Orexigen Therapeutics (NASDAQ:OREX), Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CMI), Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYSE:ADM), Lexmark International, Inc. (NYSE:LXK), Unisys Corporation (NYSE:UIS), The Western Union Company (NYSE:WU), Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS), AFLAC Incorporated (NYSE:AFL), United States Oil Fund (NYSE:USO), Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB).
- Now Check Out What’s Moving These Shares on the First Day of February >>
- That’s usually what happens the day after a monster move. Everyone takes a breather and digests new prices.
- Private sector jobs repeated last months blow-out. ADP said we added 187,00 new jobs, but last month the BLS Unemployment data disappointed two days later. Check Out: Your Ultimate Cheat Sheet To Unemployment Numbers >>
- Oil (NYSE:USO) calmed down, but is still getting a lot of buyers. We put together a special feature to get you in the game: Oil ETFs: The Top 10 Exchange Traded Funds for Your Oil Investing List >>
Here are Wednesday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- Time Warner Inc. (NYSE:TWX), Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE:WHR), Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAT), Hospira, Inc. (NYSE:HSP), Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS), Genworth Financial, Inc. (NYSE:GNW), NaviSite, Inc. (NASDAQ:NAVI), Lubrizol Corporation (NYSE:LZ), Visa Inc. (NYSE:V), The Hershey Company (NYSE:HSY), Ameriprise Financial, Inc. (NYSE:AMP), Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE:MRO), Yum! Brands, Inc. (NYSE:YUM), Allergan, Inc. (NYSE:AGN).
- Economic Data has been strong ahead of tomorrow’s Unemployment Report. Initial Jobless Claims fell 42,000 after last week’s rise and ISM Non-Manufacturing Services followed this week’s big beat by Manufacturing. Don’t Miss: CHART OF THE DAY: A Major Engine of the Economy Is Not Double Dipping >>
- Retail data was a lot better than expected. Consumers are back. Check Out:Retailer Roundup: Your Cheat Sheet to the Winning and Losing Stocks >>
- Gold (NYSE:GLD) got a major lift off Bernanke’s Economic Outlook. Talk of QE3? Maybe. Now you need to knowEverything You Need to Know About How Gold will Explode >>
Here are Thursday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- Fronteer Gold Inc. (AMEX:FRG), The Estee Lauder Companies Inc. (NYSE:EL), Brightpoint, Inc. (NASDAQ:CELL), China New Borun Corp (NYSE:BORN), Hansen Medical, Inc. (NASDAQ:HNSN), E Commerce China Dangdang Inc (NYSE:DANG), Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (NYSE:GDXJ), General Motors Company (NYSE:GM), AutoNation, Inc. (NYSE:AN), CVS Caremark Corporation (NYSE:CVS), Kellogg Company (NYSE:K), Goodrich Corporation (NYSE:GR), MasterCard Incorporated (NYSE:MA), and Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc (NYSE:HOT).
- Now, see the Extraordinary Stocks in Today’s Market >>
- BLS Unemployment data was “good enough”. Although only 36,000 jobs were added, the previous two months were revised upward and January settles at 9%. Don’t Miss: CHART OF THE DAY: Is Unemployment Muddling or Improving? >>
- The Dow is holding 12,000 support. Blue chips like Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG), Kraft (NYSE:KFT), and du Pont (NYSE:DD) held the reigns to climb higher. Check Out: What Ever Happened to Robert Prechter’s Dow 1,000 Prediction? >>
- Gold (NYSE:GLD) couldn’t keep the momentum going. Although, Newmont Mining’s (NYSE:NEM) CEO thinks Gold will get to $1500 this year. Special Report:Everything You Need to Know About How Gold will Explode >>
Here are Friday’s Top Moving Stocks:
- Aetna Inc. (NYSE:AET), JDS Uniphase Corporation (NASDAQ:JDSU), Silverleaf Resorts, Inc (NASDAQ:SVLF), Tyson Foods, Inc. (NYSE:TSN), Power-One, Inc. (NASDAQ:PWER), Sirona Dental Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:SIRO), Silicon Image, Inc. (NASDAQ:SIMG), AmerisourceBergen Corp. (NYSE:ABC), Fortune Brands, Inc. (NYSE:FO), The Clorox Company (NYSE:CLX), Constellation Energy Group, Inc. (NYSE:CEG), Aon Corporation (NYSE:AON), Simon Property Group (NYSE:SPG), Apartment Investment and Management (NYSE:AIV), PPL Corporation (NYSE:PPL).
- Now, check out why these Stocks Attracted Trading Interest in Today’s Market >>
Improve Your Financial Health in 2011: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter >>