Institutional investors and traders are heading back to Wall Street after their traditional summer vacations. Here’s your Cheat Sheet to the hottest stocks of the week.
Investing Insights: Steve Jobs Prepares to Deliver a New Catalyst for Apple’s Stock.
1) Ingersoll-Rand PLC (NYSE:IR): Shares of Ingersoll-Rand PLC are trading lower today after issuing a weaker outlook. The company stated currency effect could hit their bottom line. Ingersoll-Rand PLC is a diversified, global company that provides a diverse range of products and services for a wide range of industries. The Company’s operations include consist of air conditioning systems and services, climate control technologies, industrial technologies and security technologies.
2) Xyratex Ltd. (NASDAQ:XRTX): Shares of Xyratex Ltd. are trading higher today after the company beat Wall Street’s earnings expectations in its latest quarterly release. Xyratex Ltd. provides enterprise class data storage subsystems and network technology. The Company designs and manufactures enabling technology that provides OEM and disk drive manufacturer customers with data storage products that support high-performance storage and data communication networks.
3) Wynn Resorts, Limited (NASDAQ:WYNN): Shares of Wynn Resorts, Limited are trading lower today after the fearful news that China’s economy might be slowing and the casino sector could take a hit. Wynn Resorts Limited owns and operates luxury hotels and destination casino resorts in Las Vegas, Nevada and in Macau, China. The resorts features guest rooms and suits, restaurants, golf courses, and on-site luxury automotive dealerships.
4) AZZ Incorporated (NYSE:AZZ): Shares of AZZ Incorporated are trading lower today after a weaker than expected earnings report. Revenue missed on weaker margins and higher interest expenses. AZZ Incorporated manufactures specialty electrical equipment and components for the global power generation, power transmission, and distribution markets. The Company also provides hot dip galvanizing services to the steel fabrication industry across the United States.
5) Harleysville Group Inc. (NASDAQ:HGIC): Shares of Harleysville Group Inc. are trading flat today. Nationwide paid almost a 90% premium for HGIC shares. Harleysville Group Inc. is an insurance holding company. The Company operates with Harleysville Mutual Insurance Company to form a network of insurance companies primarily in the eastern and midwestern United States. Harleysville underwrites personal and commercial property and casualty coverages, including automobile, homeowners, commercial multi-peril, and workers compensation.
6) Focus Media Holding Limited (NASDAQ:FMCN): Shares of Focus Media Holding Limited are trading up today. After yesterday’s cautious news on China’s companies, FMCN is rebounding with investor buying interest once again. Value anyone? Focus Media Holding Limited operates an out-of-home advertising network in China. The Company uses audiovisual television displays which are placed primarily in high-traffic areas of commercial office buildings such as in lobbies and near elevators, as well as in large retail chain stores and other venues.
7) BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. (NASDAQ:BDSI): Shares of BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. are trading lower today. The company continues to dive lower after disappointing trial results for one of its drugs. BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. is a development-stage biotechnology company that is developing and seeking to commercialize a drug delivery technology. The Company’s technology is designed for a broad base of pharmaceuticals, vaccines, and over-the-counter drugs. Biodelivery’s technology encapsulates the selected drug in a cochleate cylinder.
8) CalAmp Corp. (NASDAQ:CAMP): Shares of CalAmp Corp. are trading higher today after turning a profit and delivering a rise in revenues in its latest quarterly report. CalAmp Corporation delivers wireless access and computer technologies. The Company’s services include interface design and embedded computing, software development, technology consulting, and production of electronic devices. CalAmp designs products for digital multimedia delivery, healthcare, retailing applications, public safety markets, and wireless enterprise connectivity.
9) Micron Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:MU): Shares of Micron Technology, Inc. are trading lower today after delivering a disappointing quarterly earnings report yesterday afternoon. MU stock is down 11% today. Micron Technology, Inc., through its subsidiaries, manufactures and markets dynamic random access memory chips (DRAMs), very fast static random access memory chips (SRAMs), Flash Memory, other semiconductor components, and memory modules.
10) Citigroup Inc. (NYSE:C): Shares of Citigroup Inc. are trading lower today. Morgan Stanley cut its EPS estimates on the bank by 4% in a report released this morning. Citigroup Inc. is a diversified financial services holding company that provides a broad range of financial services to consumer and corporate customers around the world. The Company’s services include investment banking, retail brokerage, corporate banking, and cash management products and services.
1) Harleysville Group Inc. (NASDAQ:HGIC): Shares of Harleysville Group Inc. are trading higher today. Nationwide Mutual announced it is buying HGIC for $760 million, sending shares up 27%. Harleysville Group Inc. is an insurance holding company. The Company operates with Harleysville Mutual Insurance Company to form a network of insurance companies primarily in the eastern and midwestern United States. Harleysville underwrites personal and commercial property and casualty coverages, including automobile, homeowners, commercial multi-peril, and workers compensation.
2) Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:WLL): Shares of Whiting Petroleum Corporation are trading higher today. Earlier in September, the stock was upgraded on valuation and investors are buying those shares today. Whiting Petroleum Corporation is involved in oil and natural gas exploitation, acquisition, and exploration activities. The Company focuses on lower risk, long-lived oil and natural gas properties located primarily in the Gulf Coast/Permian Basin, Rocky Mountains, Michigan, and Mid-Continent regions of the United States.
3) BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. (NASDAQ:BDSI): Shares of BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. are trading lower today. The company said its Bema Buprenorphin failed to display overall pain-intensity difference from a placebo. Shares took a major dive. BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. is a development-stage biotechnology company that is developing and seeking to commercialize a drug delivery technology. The Company’s technology is designed for a broad base of pharmaceuticals, vaccines, and over-the-counter drugs. Biodelivery’s technology encapsulates the selected drug in a cochleate cylinder.
4) Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN): Shares of Amazon.com, Inc. are trading lower today. Following yesterday’s positive Kindle Fire announcement, Wall Street is speculating hedge funds are executing end of quarter portfolio changes today as the tech sector is feeling it. Amazon.com, Inc. is an online retailer that offers a wide range of products. The Company’s products include books, music, videotapes, computers, electronics, home and garden, and numerous other products. Amazon offers personalized shopping services, Web-based credit card payment, and direct shipping to customers.
5) Insituform Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ:INSU): Shares of Insituform Technologies, Inc. are trading lower today after issuing a more cautious outlook on the remainder of the year. Insituform Technologies, Inc. provides cured-in place pipe and other technologies and services for the rehabilitation of pipeline systems. The Company’s businesses consist of sewer, drinking water and energy and mining pipeline rehabilitation and protection. Insituform services customers worldwide.
6) American Electric Power Company, Inc. (NYSE:AEP): Shares of American Electric Power Company, Inc. are trading higher today. Wall Street analyst expectations for the upcoming quarterly earnings release were increased by a penny this morning. American Electric Power Company, Inc.(NYSE:AEP) is a public utility holding company. The Company provides electric service, consisting of generation, transmission and distribution, on an integrated basis to their retail customers. AEP serves portions of the states of Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
7) Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NYSE:AMD): Shares of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. are trading lower today after releasing weaker sales date. The tech company’s shares hit the 52-week low point today. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. manufactures semiconductor products. The Company manufactures products that include microprocessors, embedded microprocessors, chipsets, graphics, video and multimedia products. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. offers its products on a global basis.
8) Thor Industries, Inc. (NYSE:THO): Shares of Thor Industries, Inc. are trading higher today following the release of a strong quarterly announcement and double-digit revenue growth. Thor Industries, Inc. produces and sells a wide range of recreation vehicles, as well as small and mid-size buses. The Company markets its products through independent dealers located throughout the United States and Canada. Thor’s products are sold under the Airstream Classic, Dutchmen, Skamper, Infinity, Four Winds, Citation, Signature, and other names.
9) TeamStaff, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSTF): Shares of TeamStaff, Inc. are trading higher today. TeamStaff, Inc. provides a variety of human resource services. The Company’s services include professional employer organization, payroll processing, human resources administration, and placement of temporary and permanent employees.
10) Worthington Industries, Inc. (NYSE:WOR): Shares of Worthington Industries, Inc. are trading upward over 3% today. The company missed on its earnings report on both revenues and earnings, yet investors are buying shares today. Worthington Industries, Inc., through its subsidiaries, processes steel and fabricates metal, focusing on specialized products requiring exact specifications. The Company’s products include flat rolled steel, pressure cylinders, metal framing products, and automotive body panels. Worthington also provides technical services.
1) Jabil Circuit, Inc. (NYSE:JBL): Shares of Jabil Circuit, Inc. are trading higher today after releasing a very strong earnings report that impressed investors very much. Jabil Circuit, Inc. is an electronic manufacturing services provider for international electronics companies in the communications, personal computer, peripheral, consumer, and automotive markets. The Company offers circuit design, board design from schematic, prototype assembly, volume board assembly, system assembly, repair, and warranty services.
2) Saba Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:SABA): Shares of Saba Software, Inc. are trading higher today as the company beat Wall Street expectations in their quarterly earnings report. Saba Software, Inc. provides people systems software that combine people learning, people performance and people collaboration solutions. The Company’s customers include global organizations, financial services, life sciences, healthcare, high tech, automotive, manufacturing, energy, utilities, packaged goods, and public sector organisations. Saba has offices on five continents.
3) Imperial Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:IFT): Shares of Imperial Holdings, Inc. are trading lower today. The FBI raided the company’s offices as the shares are down over 60% today.
4) Family Dollar Stores, Inc. (NYSE:FDO): Shares of Family Dollar Stores, Inc. are trading slightly lower today. Shares popped in the morning following the company’s latest earnings report. The retailer saw an uptick in profit and will buy back shares. Family Dollar Stores, Inc. is a national discount store chain. The Company operates stores located throughout the United States that offer merchandise that includes consumables, home products, apparel and accessories, seasonal and electronics.
5) Actuant Corporation (NYSE:ATU): Shares of Actuant Corporation are trading higher today. The company turned a profit in its most recent quarterly release. Actuant Corporation manufactures and markets a broad range of industrial products and systems. The Company sells branded, specialized electrical and industrial tools to hydraulic and electrical wholesale distributors, to catalog houses, and through retail distribution channels. Actuant also designs and markets customized motion control systems for original equipment manufacturers.
6) McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE:MKC): Shares of McCormick & Company, Incorporated are trading lower today. Even though the company beat earnings expectations, it wasn’t enough to please investors. The company reiterated it will look to acquisitions for growth. McCormick & Company, Inc. manufactures, markets, and distributes flavor products (including spices, herbs, extracts, seasonings and flavorings) and other specialty food products to the food industry. The Company sells to retail stores, food manufacturers, and food service businesses.
7) Accenture Plc (NYSE:ACN): Shares of Accenture Plc are trading higher today as the consulting company delivered a very strong double-digit growth quarter. Accenture PLC provides management and technology consulting services and solutions. The Company delivers a range of specialized capabilities and solutions to clients across all industries on a worldwide basis. Accenture’s network of businesses provides consulting, technology, outsourcing, and alliances.
8) RealD (NYSE:RLD): Shares of RealD are trading lower today after Sony said it would put the pause on buying the company’s 3-D glasses. RealD Inc. is a global licensor of stereoscopic (three-dimensional), or 3D, technologies. The Company licenses its Cinema Systems to motion picture exhibitors that show 3D motion pictures and alternative 3D content. RealD also offers active and passive eyewear, and display and gaming technologies to consumer electronics manufacturers and content producers and distributors.
9) Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN): Shares of Amazon.com, Inc. are trading higher today. Investors on Wall Street are going gaga for the Kindle Fire announcement. Amazon.com, Inc. is an online retailer that offers a wide range of products. The Company’s products include books, music, videotapes, computers, electronics, home and garden, and numerous other products. Amazon offers personalized shopping services, Web-based credit card payment, and direct shipping to customers.
10) Paychex, Inc. (NASDAQ:PAYX): Shares of Paychex, Inc. are trading higher today as the company delivered a profitable quarter for shareholders. Paychex, Inc. provides comprehensive payroll and integrated human resource and employee benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses in the United States. The Company’s services range from calculating payroll and filing tax payments to administering retirement plans and workers’ compensation.
1) Walgreen Company (NYSE:WAG): Shares of Walgreen Company are trading lower today. Following the company’s earnings release, investors are disgruntled over comments about “no substantial progress” in Walgreen’s contract renewal negotiations with Express Scripts (NASDAQ:ESRX). Walgreen Company operates retail drugstores that offer a wide variety of prescription and non-prescription drugs as well as general goods. The Company operates stores in the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Guam. Walgreen’s also offers health services, including primary and acute care, wellness, pharmacy and disease management services and health and fitness.
2) American Greetings Corporation (NYSE:AM): Shares of American Greetings Corporation are trading lower today. Traders are selling shares of the company after a profitable quarterly release this morning but a bit below expectations. American Greetings Corporation and its subsidiaries design, manufacture, and sell everyday and seasonal greeting cards and other social expression products. The Company’s products include greeting cards, gift wrap, paper party goods, candles, balloons, stationery, and giftware. American Greetings’s products are sold throughout the world.
3) The Geo Group, Inc. (NYSE:GEO): Shares of The Geo Group, Inc. are trading higher today. Value stock pickers are lifting shares over 4% today following its recent market dip to $18.50 per share on Sept. 22nd. The Geo Group Inc. operates private correctional facilities located mostly in the United States, but also in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and South Africa. The Company offers educational programs, vocational training, and rehabilitation therapy services.
4) ImmunoGen, Inc. (NASDAQ:IMGN): Shares of ImmunoGen, Inc. are trading higher today. The stock continues to move higher on positive news from their clinical trial of Roche’s breast cancer drug. ImmunoGen, Inc. develops pharmaceuticals, primarily for the treatment of cancer. The Company’s tumor activated prodructs deliver chemotherapy specifically to a tumor. ImmunoGen has three drugs in clinical trials and is negotiating to take a drug into phase II trial. These products are being tested for the treatment of colorectal and small-cell lung cancer.
5) Biodel Inc (NASDAQ:BIOD): Shares of Biodel Inc are trading lower today. Shares are down double digits following the company’s report of top-line results from pump study of experimental insulins. Biodel Inc. is a pharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of treatments for endocrine disorders such as diabetes and osteoporosis.
6) Zion Oil & Gas, Inc. (NASDAQ:ZN): Shares of Zion Oil & Gas, Inc. are trading higher today. Zion Oil & Gas, Inc. explores for oil and natural gas in Israel.
7) Corrections Corporation of America (NYSE:CXW): Shares of Corrections Corporation of America are trading up today. Rumors continue to circulate of more privatizing of prisons across America. Corrections Corporation of America provides detention and corrections services to governmental agencies. The Company owns correctional and detention facilities in the United States and the United Kingdom. Services include design, construction, ownership, renovation, and management of new or existing jails and prisons, as well as long distance inmate transportation services.
8) Neogen Corporation (NASDAQ:NEOG): Shares of Neogen Corporation are trading lower today. The company’s earnings missed as revenue growth slowed and margins dropped. Neogen Corporation develops and markets products and services dedicated to food and animal safety. The Company’s diagnostic products are used by food and animal producers to test for foodborne bacteria, food allergen, natural toxins, drug and chemical residues, plant diseases, and quality assurance.
9) The Boeing Company (NYSE:BA): Shares of The Boeing Company are trading higher today. Boeing continues to lead the Dow Jones Industrial Average (NYSE:DIA) higher due to a deal with UTair Aviation for 40 Boeing Next-Generation 737 airplanes. The Dreamliner is ready and investors are excited once again for Boeing shares. The Boeing Company, together with its subsidiaries, develops, produces, and markets commercial jet aircraft, as well as provides related support services to the commercial airline industry worldwide. The Company also researches, develops, produces, modifies, and supports information, space, and defense systems, including military aircraft, helicopters and space and missile systems.
10) Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT): Shares of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. are trading higher today. Shares of Walgreen took a dive this morning and investors are seeing opportunity in WMT shares where the company’s discount pharmacy and low prices on everyday goods thrive. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates discount stores, supercenters, and neighborhood markets. The Company’s discount stores and supercenters offer merchandise such as apparel, housewares, small appliances, electronics, and hardware. Walmart’s markets offer a full-line supermarket and a limited assortment of general merchandise. The Company operates nationally and internationally.
1) Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. (NASDAQ:CALM): Shares of Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. are trading lower today after missing earnings estimates this morning on news of higher feed costs hurting margins. Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. produces, cleans, grades, packs, and sells fresh shell eggs. The Company markets its products in various states in the Southwestern, Southeastern, Midwestern, and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States.
2) Freescale Semiconductor Holdings I, Ltd. (NYSE:FSL): Shares of Freescale Semiconductor Holdings I, Ltd. are trading lower today as the company cut its third quarter revenue guidance this morning.
3) The Clorox Company (NYSE:CLX): Shares of The Clorox Company are trading lower today after Carl Icahn announced he would not be pursuing a proxy fight. The Clorox Company produces and markets non-durable consumer products sold primarily through grocery and other retail stores. The Company’s principal products include household cleaning and bleach products, charcoal, cat litter, automotive care products, dressings, and trash bags. Clorox markets its products in the United States and other countries around the world.
4) MELA Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:MELA): Shares of MELA Sciences, Inc. are trading higher today after the FDA issued an positive letter for its medical device which could help doctors more accurately diagnose melanoma. MELA Sciences Inc is a medical device company focused on the design and development of a non-invasive, point-of-care instrument to assist in the early diagnosis of melanoma. The Company’s product features a device that captures images of suspicious pigmented skin lesions and extracts data.
5) Eastman Kodak Company (NYSE:EK): Shares of Eastman Kodak Company are trading lower today after the company announced it borrowed $160M against its credit line for “general corporate purposes.” Eastman Kodak Company develops, manufactures, and markets imaging products. The company provides professional and consumer digital cameras, laser images for radiologists, and photographic films for professionals and amateurs. Kodak also provides digital services for cinematographers, document scanners, aerial images, digital printers for commercial customers, and flat panel displays.
6) Oracle Corp. (NASDAQ:ORCL): Shares of Oracle Corp. are trading up today following the announcement of its solution for health insurance exchanges. Oracle Corporation supplies software for enterprise information management. The Company offers databases and relational servers, application development and decision support tools, and enterprise business applications. Oracle’s software runs on network computers, personal digital assistants, set-top devices, PCs, workstations, minicomputers, mainframes, and massively parallel computers.
7) Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ): Shares of Johnson & Johnson are trading higher today following the FDA approval of its blockbuster drug Remicade for pediatric patients with ulcerative colitis. Johnson & Johnson manufactures health care products and provides related services for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices and diagnostics markets. The Company sells products such as skin and hair care products, acetaminophen products, pharmaceuticals, diagnostic equipment, and surgical equipment in countries located around the world.
8) Citigroup, Inc. (NYSE:C): Shares of Citigroup, Inc. are trading higher today as investors are back buying the financial sector after last week’s beat down. Citigroup Inc. is a diversified financial services holding company that provides a broad range of financial services to consumer and corporate customers around the world. The Company’s services include investment banking, retail brokerage, corporate banking, and cash management products and services.
9) Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE): Shares of Pfizer Inc. are trading up today as investors see a safe dividend of 4.6% in the healthcare giant’s shared. Pfizer Inc. is a research-based, global pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets medicines for humans and animals. The Company’s products include prescription pharmaceuticals, non-prescription self-medications, and animal health products such as anti-infective medicines and vaccines.
10) Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT): Shares of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. are trading higher today giving the Dow Jones Industrial Average a nice lift and also sparking whether retail can surprise Wall Street estimates in the upcoming quarter. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates discount stores, supercenters, and neighborhood markets. The Company’s discount stores and supercenters offer merchandise such as apparel, housewares, small appliances, electronics, and hardware. Walmart’s markets offer a full-line supermarket and a limited assortment of general merchandise. The Company operates nationally and internationally.
Must Read Feature: Will A China Slowdown Affect Gold?