Institutional investors and traders are making some big trades as earnings season kicks off. Here’s your Cheat Sheet to the hottest stocks of the week from the day the stock was most active.
Investing Insights: Amazon.com has a Stock Chart Technical Analysts Dream About.
1) El Paso Corporation (NYSE:EP): Shares of El Paso Corporation are trading higher 23% today after Kinder Morgan announced it will be acquiring the company for $38 billion. El Paso Corporation operates natural gas pipeline and storage facilities, transports natural gas, and imports liquefied natural gas. El Paso also explores for and produces natural gas. The Company has operations in the United States, Brazil, and Egypt.
2) Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. (NYSE:MFG): Shares of Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. are trading higher following a very profitable report out of Citigroup this morning. Mizuho Financial Group, Inc. provides comprehensive financial services through its subsidiaries. The Group provides variety of financial services such as general banking, securities brokerage, trust banking, and assets management.
3) Sirius XM Radio Inc. (NASDAQ:SIRI): Shares of Sirius XM Radio Inc. are trading higher today. The satellite radio company introduced an upgrade of its current service today called SiriusXM 2.0 which will offer expanded channel offerings. Sirius XM Radio Inc. broadcasts various channels of audio from its satellites. The Company provides its services throughout the continental United States for a monthly subscription fee. Sirius delivers various streams of commercial-free music in every genre, as well as streams of news, sports, weather, talk, comedy, and public radio.
4) Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Grp, Inc. (NYSE:SMFG): Shares of Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Grp, Inc. are trading higher today after rising on the heels of a surge in Citigroup shares this morning. Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Inc. is a holding company established by Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation. Sumitomo Mitsui Card Co., SMBC Leasing Co., and The Japanese Research Institute, Ltd. joined the Group in Feb., 2003. The Company manages financial operations for its subsidiaries. The Group provides commercial banking and a variety of financial services.
5) Kinder Morgan Inc (NYSE:KMI): Shares of Kinder Morgan Inc are trading higher today after merging with El Paso in the natural gas industry. Kinder Morgan Inc. is a pipeline transportation and energy storage company. The Company owns and operates pipelines that transport natural gas, gasoline, crude oil, carbon dioxide and other products, and terminals that store petroleum products and chemicals and handle bulk materials like coal and petroleum coke.
6) Lloyds TSB Group plc (NYSE:LYG): Shares of Lloyds TSB Group plc are trading lower today after last week’s Fitch downgrade. Shares are down 4% this afternoon. Lloyds Banking Group plc, through subsidiaries and associated companies, offers a range of banking and financial services. The Company provides retail banking, mortgages, pensions, asset management, insurance services, corporate banking, and treasury services.
7) Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC): Shares of Wells Fargo & Company are trading lower over 7% today as the company officially takes over Wachovia branded branches with its own signage and also releases its latest quarter earnings report. Wells Fargo & Company is a diversified financial services company providing banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, leasing, credit cards, and consumer finance. The Company operates through physical stores, the Internet and other distribution channels across North America and elsewhere internationally.
8) Petroleo Brasileiro SA (NYSE:PBR): Shares of Petroleo Brasileiro SA are trading lower over 4% today as investors see that more investment will be need in refineries over the next few years. Petroleo Brasileiro S.A. – Petrobras explores for and produces oil and natural gas. The Company refines, markets, and supplies oil products. Petrobras operates oil tankers, distribution pipelines, marine, river and lake terminals, thermal power plants, fertilizer plants, and petrochemical units. The Company operates in South America and elsewhere around the world.
9) Vale (NYSE:VALE): Shares of Vale are trading lower over 7% today as steelmakers will have to take price hits and close facilities. Vale SA produces and sells iron ore, pellets, manganese, alloys, gold (NYSE:GLD), nickel, copper, kaolin, bauxite, alumina, aluminum, and potash. The Company is based in Brazil, where it owns and operates railroads and maritime terminals.
1) Crocs, Inc. (NASDAQ:CROX): Shares of Crocs, Inc. are trading lower over 37% today after the company significantly reduced its guidance for the third quarter. Crocs, Inc. designs and manufactures shoes. The Company produces soft, lightweight, non-marking, slip- and odor-resistant shoes made of closed-cell resin material. Crocs manufactures men’s, women’s, and children’s shoes and markets them to retail chains.
2) International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM): Shares of International Business Machines Corp. are trading lower today after investors took profits on shares consistently hitting 52-week highs recently. The company reported its quarterly earnings yesterday evening and grew both profits and revenues by 7% year-over-year. International Business Machines Corporation (NYSE:IBM) provides computer solutions through the use of advanced information technology. The Company’s solutions include technologies, systems, products, services, software, and financing. IBM offers its products through its global sales and distribution organization, as well as through a variety of third party distributors and resellers.
3) Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE:HOG): Shares of Harley-Davidson, Inc. are trading lower today after the company’s quarterly results were not enough to satisfy shareholders. Harley-Davidson, Inc. designs, manufactures, and sells motorcycles. The Company’s products include heavyweight touring, custom, and performance motorcycles, as well as a line of motorcycle parts, accessories, and general merchandise. Harley-Davidson also provides motorcycle floor planning and parts and accessories financing to its North American and European dealers.
4) VMware, Inc. (NYSE:VMW): Shares of VMware, Inc. are trading higher today following an impressive earnings report delivering over 30% revenue growth. VMware, Inc. provides virtualization solutions from the desktop to the data center. The Company’s solution products addresses a range of IT problems, which includes cost and operational inefficiencies, business continuity, software lifecycle management and desktop management.
5) Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. (NASDAQ:CHKP): Shares of Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. are trading higher today. Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. develops, markets and supports a range of software and hardware products and services for information technology security and offers its customers a network and gateway security solutions, data and endpoint security solutions and management solutions.
6) Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (NYSE:GS): Shares of Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. are trading higher today as investors think the future has better days ahead for investment bank following a dismal quarterly earnings release this morning. The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., a bank holding company, is a global investment banking and securities firm specializing in investment banking, trading and principal investments, asset management and securities services. The Company provides services to corporations, financial institutions, governments, and high-net worth individuals.
7) UnitedHealth Group Inc. (NYSE:UNH): Shares of UnitedHealth Group Inc. are trading lower today following an earnings release that disappointed shareholders. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated owns and manages organized health systems in the United States and internationally. The Company provides employers products and resources to plan and administer employee benefit programs. UnitedHealth also serves the health needs of older Americans, provides specialized care services, and provides health care information and research to providers and payers.
8) Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:HALO): Shares of Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. are trading higher today as JMP Securities upgraded its rating on this company from Mkt Perform to Mkt Outperform. Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. develops and commercializes recombinant human enzymes for the infertility, ophthalmology, and oncology communities. The Company’s product portfolio is based on intellectual property covering the family of human enzymes known as hyaluronidases. Halozyme’s products offer an alternative to slaughterhouse-derived extracts that carry contamination risks.
9) Parker-Hannifin Corporation (NYSE:PH): Shares of Parker-Hannifin Corporation are trading higher today after the company delivered double digit top line growth. Parker Hannifin Corporation manufactures motion control products, including fluid power systems, electromechanical controls, and related components. The Company also produces fluid purification, fluid flow, process instrumentation, air conditioning, refrigeration, and electromagnetic shielding and thermal management products.
10) EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC): Shares of EMC Corporation are trading higher today after delivering 18% revenue growth in its latest quarterly report. EMC Corporation provides enterprise storage systems, software, networks, and services. The Company’s products store, retrieve, manage, protect, and share information from all major computing environments and mainframe platforms. EMC operates offices around the world.
1) Abbott Laboratories (NYSE:ABT): Shares of Abbott Laboratories are trading higher today following a strong quarterly earnings performance released this morning. Abbott Laboratories discovers, develops, manufactures, and sells a broad and diversified line of health care products and services. The Company’s products include pharmaceuticals, nutritional, diagnostics, and vascular products. Abbott markets its products worldwide through affiliates and distributors.
2) Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC): Shares of Intel Corporation are trading higher today after reporting double digit net income and revenue growth last quarter. Intel Corporation designs, manufactures, and sells computer components and related products. The Company’s major products include microprocessors, chipsets, embedded processors and microcontrollers, flash memory products, graphics products, network and communications products, systems management software, conferencing products, and digital imaging products.
3) Intuitive Surgical, Inc. (NASDAQ:ISRG): Shares of Intuitive Surgical, Inc. are trading higher today after a delivering a scorching quarterly earnings report showing double-digit growth. Intuitive Surgical, Inc. design, manufactures and markets surgical systems. The Company’s surgical system controls Intuitive Surgical endoscopic instruments, including rigid endoscopes, blunt and sharp endoscopic dissectors, scissors, scalpels, forceps/pickups, needle holders, endoscopic retractors, electrocautery, ultrasonic cutters, and accessories during surgical procedures.
4) Comerica Incorporated (NYSE:CMA): Shares of Comerica Incorporated are trading lower today after disappointing shareholders with its latest quarterly earnings release this morning. Comerica Incorporated is the holding company for business, individual, and investment banks with operations in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The Company’s subsidiaries provide services such as corporate banking, international finance, treasury management, community banking, private banking, small business and individual lending, investment services, and institutional trust.
5) BlackRock, Inc. (NYSE:BLK): Shares of BlackRock, Inc. are trading lower today as investors are taking profits following the company’s latest quarterly report this morning. BlackRock, Inc. provides diversified investment management services to institutional clients and to retail investors through various investment vehicles. The Company offers the BlackRock Funds and Blackrock Liquidity Funds, and also provides risk management services to fixed income institutional investors.
6) Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (NYSE:AEM): Shares of Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited are trading significantly lower today. Did the BOE Just Confirm the Long-Term Picture for Precious Metals? Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited is a gold producer with operations primarily in Quebec, Canada. The Company also conducts exploration and development activities in Ontario, Canada, and Nevada in the United States. Agnico-Eagle’s gold production is primarily from underground mining operations.
7) The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE:TRV): Shares of The Travelers Companies, Inc. are trading higher today after releasing its latest quarterly earnings report. The Travelers Companies, Inc. provides commercial property casualty insurance and asset management services to businesses, government units, associations and individuals. The Company underwrites homeowners and auto insurance through independent agents.
8) Checkpoint Systems, Inc. (NYSE:CKP): Shares of Checkpoint Systems, Inc. are trading lower today after a major reduction on its annual outlook. Checkpoint Systems, Inc. manufactures and markets labeling systems and label solutions for a diverse customer base across many industries. The Company provides RF source tagging, barcode labeling systems, electronic article surveillance, handheld labeling systems, and retail merchandising systems for several applications within the automatic identification industry.
9) Apollo Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:APOL): Shares of Apollo Group, Inc. are trading higher today after a big profit jump in its latest quarterly earnings release this morning. Apollo Group, Inc. provides higher education programs for working adults. The Company provides educational programs and services at the high school, undergraduate, and graduate levels online and on-campus through subsidiaries.
10) Cree, Inc. (NASDAQ:CREE): Shares of Cree, Inc. are trading lower today a big earnings outlook reduction today for the remainder of the year. Cree, Inc. develops and manufactures semiconductor materials and electronic devices made from silicon carbide (SiC). The Company uses proprietary technology to make enabling compound semiconductors such as blue and green light emitting diodes, SiC crystals used in the production of unique gemstones, and SiC wafers that are sold for device production and research.
1) Polycom, Inc. (NASDAQ:PLCM): Shares of Polycom, Inc. are trading lower 25% today following a dismal quarterly earnings report that missed analyst expectations. Polycom, Inc. develops, manufactures, and markets a line of video, voice, data and web conferencing collaboration solutions. The solutions include enterprise video and voice communications end-points, network infrastructure, management products, product maintenance and other professional services.
2) eBay Inc. (NASDAQ:EBAY): Shares of eBay Inc. are trading lower over 3% today as investors take profits following a very strong quarterly earnings report delivering double-digit growth. eBay Inc. operates an online trading community. The Company’s service is used by buyers and sellers for the exchange of products and services such as coins, collectibles, computers, memorabilia, stamps and toys, as well as concert and sporting tickets. eBay also offers, through a subsidiary, secure online payment services.
3) Nokia Corporation (NYSE:NOK): Shares of Nokia Corporation are trading higher over 5% today after beating sales estimates but delivering a drop in profit in the company’s latest earnings release. Nokia Corporation is a player in the mobile industry. The Company makes a range of mobile devices with services and software that enable people to experience music, navigation, video, television, imaging, games, business mobility and more. Nokia also provides equipment, solutions and services for communications networks.
4) Riverbed Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:RVBD): Shares of Riverbed Technology, Inc. are trading higher today after delivering a very impression earnings release. Riverbed Technology, Inc. manufactures and markets appliances used to connect computers in wide area networks.
5) American Express Company (NYSE:AXP): Shares of American Express Company are trading flat today after issuing profit growth and revenue growth in its latest quarter earnings release. American Express Company is a global payment and travel company. The Company’s principal products and services are charge and credit payment card products and travel-related services offered to consumers and businesses around the world.
6) Western Digital Corp. (NYSE:WDC): Shares of Western Digital Corp. are trading higher today as investors were satisfied with the company’s latest quarterly results. Western Digital Corporation designs and manufactures hard drives for desktop computers and home entertainment applications.
7) Fifth Third Bancorp (NASDAQ:FITB): Shares of Fifth Third Bancorp are trading higher over 8% today as the bank almost doubled its profits in its latest quarter report. Fifth Third Bancorp is a diversified financial services company that operates banking centers in the Midwestern and Southeastern regions of the United States. The Company’s principal businesses include retail banking, commercial banking, investment advisory, and data processing.
8) Core Laboratories N.V. (NYSE:CLB): Shares of Core Laboratories N.V. are trading lower today as shareholders are selling shares following its latest quarterly release. Core Laboratories N.V. provides reservoir description, production enhancement, and reservoir management services. The Company’s customers include major, national, and independent oil and gas producers. Core also manufactures and sells petroleum reservoir rock and fluid analysis instrumentation and other integrated systems.
9) Abbott Laboratories (NYSE:ABT): Shares of Abbott Laboratories are trading higher today after delivering double-digit revenue growth in its latest quarterly earnings release. Abbott Laboratories discovers, develops, manufactures, and sells a broad and diversified line of health care products and services. The Company’s products include pharmaceuticals, nutritional, diagnostics, and vascular products. Abbott markets its products worldwide through affiliates and distributors.
10) Newfield Exploration Co. (NYSE:NFX): Shares of Newfield Exploration Co. are trading lower 14% today following the release of its latest quarterly report. Newfield Exploration Company is an independent oil and gas company which explores, develops, and acquires oil and natural gas properties. The Company operates in the Gulf of Mexico, in the onshore United States Gulf Coast, within the North Sea, within Malaysia, and in the Bohai Bay in China.
1) Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ): Shares of Verizon Communications Inc. are trading flat today following its latest quarterly earnings release. Verizon Communications Inc. is an integrated telecommunications company that provides wire line voice and data services, wireless services, Internet services, and published directory information. The Company also provides network services for the federal government including business phone lines, data services, telecommunications equipment and payphones.
2) Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ:STX): Shares of Seagate Technology PLC are trading higher today after issuing a dominating quarterly earnings report and receiving an upgrade from analysts. Seagate Technology PLC designs, manufactures, and markets rigid disc drives for enterprise, personal computer, and consumer electronics applications.
3) McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE:MCD): Shares of McDonald’s Corporation are trading higher today after pleasing shareholders with a solid quarterly earnings report and hitting a new 52-week price high. McDonald’s Corporation operates and franchises fast-food restaurants worldwide. The Company’s franchised and company operated fast food restaurants offer a variety of low price fast foods in locations around the world.
4) Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT): Shares of Microsoft Corporation are trading flat today after the tech giant released its latest quarterly earnings after the bell yesterday. Microsoft Corporation develops, manufactures, licenses, sells, and supports software products. The Company offers operating system software, server application software, business and consumer applications software, software development tools, and Internet and intranet software. Microsoft also develops video game consoles and digital music entertainment devices.
5) Harman International Industries Inc./DE/ (NYSE:HAR): Shares of Harman International Industries Inc./DE/ are trading higher today after beating the street’s estimates with an impressive quarterly earnings report. Harman International Industries, Incorporated designs, manufactures, and markets audio and electronic systems. The Company’s Automotive segment designs, manufactures and markets audio, electronic and infotainment systems for vehicle applications and its Consumer segment designs, manufactures and markets audio and electronic systems for home, mobile and multimedia applications.
6) Altera Corporation (NASDAQ:ALTR): Shares of Altera Corporation are trading higher today following the company’s latest earnings report to investors and shareholders. Altera Corporation designs, manufactures, and markets programmable logic devices and associated development tools. The Company’s products, include a variety of programmable logic devices and hardcopy application-specific integrated circuits.
7) Honeywell International Inc. (NYSE:HON): Shares of Honeywell International Inc. are trading higher today following the release of its latest quarterly performance. Honeywell International Inc. is a diversified technology and manufacturing company with operations around the world. The Company provides aerospace products and services, control technologies, automotive products, and power generation systems. Honeywell also provides specialty chemicals, fibers, plastics, and electronic and advanced materials.
8) SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ:SNDK): Shares of SanDisk Corporation are trading higher today after delivering double-digit revenue growth in its latest quarterly report. SanDisk Corporation supplies flash data storage products. The Company designs, manufactures, and markets industry-standard, solid-state data, digital imaging, and audio storage products using its patented, high-density flash memory and controller technology.
9) IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. (NASDAQ:IDXX): Shares of IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. are trading up today after boosting its outlook for the remainder of the year. IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. provides diagnostic, detection, and information systems for veterinary, food, and water testing applications. The Company also operates an international network of veterinary reference laboratories. IDEXX offers its products to customers worldwide.
10) Tempur-Pedic International Inc. (NYSE:TPX): Shares of Tempur-Pedic International Inc. are trading higher today after Raymond James boosting its rating on the company’s shares following it quarterly release. Tempur-Pedic International Inc., through its primary subsidiary Tempur World, manufactures and markets foam mattresses, pillows, and miscellaneous products under the Tempur-Pedic and other brand names.