Earnings season continues to bring interesting information about stocks. Here’s your Cheat Sheet to the hottest stocks of the week from the day the stock was most active.
1) RightNow Technologies (NASDAQ:RNOW): Shares of RightNow Technologies closed higher today. Oracle announced it is buying the company. Shares closed up 19.41%. RightNow Technologies, Inc. provides on demand customer relationship management software and services. The Company’s solution uses a self-learning knowledgebase to deliver customer self-service, e-mail management, live interaction, issue tracking, and customer satisfaction measurement capabilities.
2) SXC Health Solutions Corp. (NASDAQ:SXCI): Shares of SXC Health Solutions Corp. closed lower 23% today after Cigna purchased HealthSpring and elevated fear that SXC might lose a big customer. SXC Health Solutions Corporation provides pharmacy benefits management (AMEX:PBM) services and healthcare IT solutions to the healthcare benefits management industry. The Company’s product offerings and solutions combine a wide range of software applications, application service provider (NYSE:ASP) processing services, and professional services.
3) Adolor Corporation (NASDAQ:ADLR): Shares of Adolor Corporation closed higher today. Cubist Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:CBST) has agreed to acquire Adolar for roughly $190 million in cash, or $4.25 a share. Adolor Corporation is a therapeutic-based biopharmaceutical company. The Company discovers, develops, and commercializes pharmaceutical products for the treatment of pain and the side effects that are caused by current narcotic pain treatments. Adolor’s small molecule product candidates are in clinical trials.
4) Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE:CAT): Shares of Caterpillar Inc. closed higher over 5% todayafter delivering explosive 41% revenue growth in its latest quarterly earnings report this morning. Caterpillar Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets construction, mining, agricultural, and forestry machinery. The Company also manufactures engines and other related parts for its equipment, and offers financing and insurance. Caterpillar distributes its products through a worldwide organization of dealers.
5) CIGNA Corporation (NYSE:CI): Shares of CIGNA Corporation closed higher today after announcing it will buy HealthSpring (NYSE:HS) for $3.8 billion to improve its medicare business. CIGNA Corporation, through its subsidiaries, provides group life and health insurance, managed care products and services, retirement products and services, and individual financial services worldwide. The Company also sells individual life and health insurance and annuity products in selected international locations.
6) V.F. Corporation (NYSE:VFC): Shares of V.F. Corporation closed higher over 3% today after delivering a strong quarterly earnings report this morning. VF Corporation is an international apparel company. The Company owns a broad portfolio of brands in the jeanswear, outerwear, packs, footwear, sportswear and occupational apparel categories. VF Corp’s products are marketed to consumers shopping in specialty stores, upscale and traditional department stores, national chains and mass merchants.
7) Exelixis, Inc. (NASDAQ:EXEL): Shares of Exelixis, Inc. closed higher over 20% today after positive results for its cancer drug study. Exelixis, Inc. is a development-stage biotechnology company dedicated to the discovery and development of small-molecule therapeutics for the treatment of cancer and other serious diseases. The Company is building a portfolio of compounds it believes could become pharmaceutical products. Exelixis has strategic alliances with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
8) Kimberly Clark Corp (NYSE:KMB): Shares of Kimberly Clark Corp closed lower todayafter showing a dip in its profits year-over-year in its latest quarterly report this morning.Kimberly-Clark Corporation is a global health and hygiene company that manufactures and provides consumer products. The Company’s products include diapers, tissues, paper towels, incontinence care products, surgical gowns, and disposable face masks. Kimberly-Clark’s products are sold in countries around the world.
9) SemGroup Corp (NYSE:SEMG): Shares of SemGroup Corp closed higher 19.99% today. Plains All American has taken its offer to acquire SemGroup hostile. PAA is offering to acquire all outstanding shares for $24 each in cash. SemGroup Corp. moves energy through a network of pipelines, terminals and storage tanks. The Company purchases, sells, processes, transports and storages energy including crude oil, natural gas liquids, asphalt and refined products
10) Lorillard Inc. (NYSE:LO): Shares of Lorillard Inc. closed flat today. Shares dipped following its quarterly earnings report, then rebounded nicely to close the day at par. Lorillard, Inc. manufactures and sells cigarettes. The Company produces cigarettes for both the premium and discount segments of the domestic cigarette market for sale to distributors and retailers in the United States.
1) Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE:DGX): Shares of Quest Diagnostics Incorporated closed higher 10.83% todayfollowing the company’s latest earnings release. Quest Diagnostics Incorporated provides diagnostic testing, information, and services. The Company operates a national network of full-service laboratories, rapid response laboratories, and patient service centers. Quest Diagnostics provides esoteric testing, routine medical testing, drugs of abuse testing, and non-hospital-based anatomicpathology testing.
2) Texas Instruments Incorporated (NYSE:TXN): Shares of Texas Instruments Incorporated closed lower over 2% todayfollowing yesterday’s earnings release. Texas Instruments Incorporated is a global semiconductor company that designs and supplies analog technologies, digital signal processing (DSP) and microcontroller (MCU) semiconductors. The Company also operates materials and controls, and educational and productivity solutions businesses. Texas Instruments has manufacturing or sales operations in countries around the world.
3) United Parcel Service, Inc. (NYSE:UPS): Shares of United Parcel Service, Inc. closed lower over 2% today as the company continued a positive earnings streak. United Parcel Service, Inc.(NYSE:UPS) delivers packages and documents throughout the United States and in other countries and territories. The Company also provides global supply chain services and less-than-truckload transportation, primarily in the U.S. UPS’s business consists of integrated air and ground pick-up and delivery network
4) 3M Company (NYSE:MMM): Shares of 3M Company closed lower over 6% today after disappointing investors. 3M Co. conducts operations in electronics, telecommunications, industrial, consumer and office, health care, safety, and other markets. The Company’s businesses share technologies, manufacturing operations, brands, marketing channels, and other resources. 3M serves customers in countries located around the world.
5) Under Armour, Inc. (NYSE:UA): Shares of Under Armour, Inc. closed higher 5% todayas the company delivered very impressive double-digit quarterly revenue growth to shareholders. Under Armour, Inc. develops, markets, and distributes branded performance products for men, women, and youth. The Company designs and sells a broad offering of apparel and accessories made of synthetic microfibers.
6) Healthways, Inc. (NASDAQ:HWAY): Shares of Healthways, Inc. closed lower over 43% today as Cigna announced it will be reducing its contract. Healthways, Inc. provides specialized, comprehensive diabetes and cardiac disease management services to physicians, health plans, and hospitals.
7) E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company (NYSE:DD): Shares of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company closed lower over 2.5% today as revenues rose 32% in its latest quarterly report. E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company is a global chemical and life sciences company, with businesses that include agriculture and industrial biotechnology, chemistry, biology, materials science and manufacturing. The Company operates globally and offers a wide range of products and services for markets including agriculture and food, building and construction, electronics and communications.
8) Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CMI): Shares of Cummins Inc. closed lower over 5% today after delivering a very solid quarterly report. Cummins Inc. designs, manufactures, distributes and services diesel and natural gas engines. The Company also manufactures electric power generation systems and engine-related component products, including filtration and exhaust aftertreatment, fuel systems, controls, and air handling systems.
9) CIT Group Inc. (NYSE:CIT): Shares of CIT Group Inc. closed lower over 3% today. CIT Group Inc. operates as a holding company. The Company, through its subsidiaries, provides lending, advisory, commercial banking, vendor finance, and leasing services to small and middle market businesses. CIT Group operates globally.
10) PACCAR Inc (NASDAQ:PCAR): Shares of PACCAR Inc closed lower over 2% today after shareholders took profits on shares today. PACCAR Inc designs, develops, manufactures, and distributes light-, medium-, and heavy-duty trucks, and related aftermarket distribution of parts. The Company also offers finance and leasing services to its customers and dealers.
1) Cheniere Energy, Inc. (AMEX:LNG): Shares of Cheniere Energy, Inc. are trading higher over 56% today. Cheniere Energy, Inc., through subsidiaries, develops liquefied natural gas terminals, and explores for oil and natural gas. The Company explores for oil and gas in the Gulf of Mexico.
2) Panera Bread Company (NASDAQ:PNRA): Shares of Panera Bread Company are trading higher 15% today. Panera Bread Company owns and franchises bakery cafes. The Company’s bakeries operate under the Panera Bread and Saint Louis Bread Co. names. Panera operates throughout the United States and offers free broadband Wi-Fi network.
3) Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ:BRCM): Shares of Broadcom Corporation are trading lower over 2% today. Broadcom Corporation provides integrated silicon solutions that enable broadband digital data transmission of voice, data, and video content to the home and within the business enterprise. The Company designs, develops, and supplies integrated circuits for cable set-top boxes, cable modems, high-speed networking, direct satellite and digital broadcast, and digital subscriber line.
4) MF Global Holdings Ltd (NYSE:MF): Shares of MF Global Holdings Ltd are trading lower 24% today. MF Global Holdings Ltd. provides execution and clearing services for exchange-traded and OTC derivative products, non-derivative foreign exchange products and securities in the cash market.
5) Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN): Shares of Amazon.com, Inc. are trading lower over 11% today. Amazon.com, Inc. is an online retailer that offers a wide range of products. The Company’s products include books, music, videotapes, computers, electronics, home and garden, and numerous other products. Amazon offers personalized shopping services, Web-based credit card payment, and direct shipping to customers.
6) RadioShack Corporation (NYSE:RSH): Shares of RadioShack Corporation are trading lower over 12% today. RadioShack Corporation operates a chain of retail consumer electronics goods and services stores located throughout the United States and Mexico, along with wireless phone kiosks in the US, and dealer outlets worldwide. The Company offers consumers wireless phone and other electronic products and services from national brands and exclusive private brands and wireless carriers.
7) Valassis Communications, Inc. (NYSE:VCI): Shares of Valassis Communications, Inc. are trading lower over 12% today. Valassis Communications, Inc. is a media and marketing services company serving a wide range of industries. The Company and its subsidiaries offer products and services to mass or targeted audiences by mail, in newspapers and stores, and online. Valassis also offers coupon redemption and management; promotion and sweepstakes security; and frequent shopper data collection and analysis.
8) WellPoint, Inc. (NYSE:WLP): Shares of WellPoint, Inc. are trading higher over 3% today. WellPoint Inc. is a health benefits company. The Company provides health benefits, dental and vision benefits, pharmacy benefits, life insurance, and life and disability insurance benefits. WellPoint operations include Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans.
9) Tupperware Brands Corporation (NYSE:TUP): Shares of Tupperware Brands Corporation are trading higher over 2% today. Tupperware Brands Corporation is a portfolio of global direct selling companies which sell products across multiple brands and categories through an independent sales force. The Company’s product brands and categories include food preparation, storage, and serving solutions for the kitchen and home. Tupperware Brands Corp also sells beauty and personal care products.
10) Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE:TMO): Shares of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. are trading lower over 9% today. Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. manufactures scientific instruments, consumables, and chemicals. The Company offers analytical instruments, laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables, reagents, chemicals, and supplies to pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions, and government agencies.
1) Avon Products, Inc. (NYSE:AVP): Shares of Avon Products, Inc. are trading lower 18% today after releasing its latest quarterly earnings report that disappointed investors. Avon Products, Inc. manufactures and direct sells beauty and related products. The Company markets its products to consumers worldwide through independent sales representatives. Avon’s product line includes beauty, fashion and home.
2) Time Warner Cable Inc. (NYSE:TWC): Shares of Time Warner Cable Inc. are trading lower over 7% today following the delivery of its most recent quarterly earnings report that bummed shareholders. Time Warner Cable Inc. offers cable television subscription services. The Company also offers Internet access and voice over Internet protocol telephone services.
3) Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM): Shares of Exxon Mobil Corporation are trading higher today after delivering a strong display of profitable growth and double-digit revenue growth. Exxon Mobil Corporation operates petroleum and petrochemicals businesses on a worldwide basis. The Company’s operations include exploration and production of oil and gas, electric power generation, and coal and minerals operations. Exxon Mobil also manufactures and markets fuels, lubricants, and chemicals.
4) McDermott International (NYSE:MDR): Shares of McDermott International are trading lower over 30% today after lowering earnings guidance to shareholders today. McDermott International, Inc. is a worldwide energy services company. The Company and its subsidiaries provide engineering, fabrication, installation, procurement, research, manufacturing, environmental systems, project management, and facility management services to a variety of customers in the energy and power industries, including the U.S. Department of Energy.
5) IMAX Corporation (NYSE:IMAX): Shares of IMAX Corporation are trading higher over 7% today as investors are lifting shares in anticipation of a stronger than expected upcoming quarterly earnings report. Imax Corporation designs and manufactures projection and sound systems for giant-screen theaters and designs custom attractions, including motion simulation theaters, for both large-scale attractions and smaller venues. The Company also manufactures digital image delivery systems in the form of digital projectors.
6) Citrix Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CTXS): Shares of Citrix Systems, Inc. are trading higher 15% today after issuing a strong performance to shareholders in its latest quarterly report. Citrix Systems, Inc. designs, develops, and markets technology solutions that allow applications to be delivered, supported, and shared on-demand. The Company develops and markets comprehensive solutions across all dimensions of application, server and desktop virtualization as well as application and network optimization.
7) Cheniere Energy, Inc. (AMEX:LNG): Shares of Cheniere Energy, Inc. are trading higher 4% today following the success of its landmark deal with BG Group to export liquefied natural gas is touching shares of other LNG-related companies in early trading. Cheniere Energy, Inc., through subsidiaries, develops liquefied natural gas terminals, and explores for oil and natural gas. The Company explores for oil and gas in the Gulf of Mexico.
8) Aetna Inc. (NYSE:AET): Shares of Aetna Inc. are trading higher almost 3% todayfollowing the release of its latest quarterly earnings statement. Aetna Inc. is a diversified health care benefits company that provides healthcare and related benefits, serving health care members, dental members, and group insurance customers. The Company offers medical, pharmacy, dental, behavioral health, group life and disability plans, and medical management capabilities and health care management services for Medicaid plans.
9) Quality Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:QSII): Shares of Quality Systems, Inc. are trading lower over 10% today. Analysts have been speculating Dell is looking for a deal and QSII was a possible target. Is the buzz fizzling after today’s drop? Quality Systems, Inc. develops and markets healthcare information systems. The Company’s systems automate medical and dental group practices, physical hospital organizations, management service organizations, community health centers, and dental schools.
10) Visa Inc. (NYSE:V): Shares of Visa Inc. are trading higher today after delivering double-digit revenue growth in its latest quarterly release. Visa Inc. operates a retail electronic payments network and manages global financial services. The Company also offers global commerce through the transfer of value and information among financial institutions, merchants, consumers, businesses and government entities.
1) Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE:WHR): Shares of Whirlpool Corporation are trading lower over 13% today following a disappointing quarterly report to shareholders. Whirlpool Corporation manufactures and markets major home appliances. The Company’s principal products include laundry appliances, refrigeration and room air conditioning equipment, cooking appliances, dishwashers, and mixers and other small household appliances. Whirlpool’s products are sold worldwide
2) Coinstar, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSTR): Shares of Coinstar, Inc. are trading lower over 7% today after investors sold shares on the heels of its quarterly release. Coinstar, Inc. owns and operates vending machines and offers financial services. The Company rents movies on DVD from vending machines; operates coin counting machines; and offers global money transfers and prepaid debit/credit cards.
3) Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. (NYSE:IPG): Shares of Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. are trading higher over 11% today after a strong quarterly earnings release. The Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. is an organization of advertising agencies and marketing service companies. The Company operates globally in the sectors of advertising, independent media buying, direct marketing, healthcare communications, interactive consulting services, marketing research, promotions, experiential marketing, public relations, and sports marketing.
4) Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE:CVC): Shares of Cablevision Systems Corporation are trading lower over 12% today after disappointing shareholders with their earnings release. Cablevision Systems Corporation provides telecommunications and entertainment services. The Company has operations in multimedia delivery, subscription cable television services, championship professional sports teams, and national television program networks.
5) Aon Corporation (NYSE:AON): Shares of Aon Corporation are trading lower over 4% today. The company reported double-digit quarterly revenue growth to shareholders, but it wasn’t enough to impress everyone’s focus on the bottom line. Aon Corporation is an insurance services holding company. The Company is comprised of risk and insurance brokerage consulting. Aon’s services include helping manage risk for clients, negotiating and placing insurance risk with other carriers, and advicing clients related to health and benefits, retirement, compensation, strategic human capital, and human resource outsourcing.
6) Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ:EXPE): Shares of Expedia, Inc. are trading lower over 6% today after releasing its quarterly earnings report. Expedia, Inc. provides branded online travel services for leisure and small business travelers. The Company offers a wide range of travel shopping and reservation services, providing real-time access to schedule, pricing and availability information for airlines, hotels, and car rental companies.
7) Deckers Outdoor Corporation (NASDAQ:DECK): Shares of Deckers Outdoor Corporation are trading higher over 10% today. The company delivered a strong quarterly earnings report. The company’s deal with Tom Brady must be paying off. Deckers Outdoor Corporation designs and markets footwear and accessories. The Company offers footwear for men, women and children. Deckers sells its products including accessories such as handbags, headwear, and outerwear, through domestic retailers and international distributors and directly to end-user consumers, through call centers, retail concept stores and retail outlet stores.
8) Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK): Shares of Merck & Co., Inc. are trading higher over 2% today after distributing a fourfold profit rise to shareholders in the latest quarter. Merck & Co., Inc. is a global pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets a broad range of human and animal health products. Merck’s products include a treatment for elevated cholesterol, a treatment for male pattern hair loss, a preventive treatment for osteoporosis, a treatment for hypertension, and a treatment for allergic rhinitis.
9) Lear Corporation (NYSE:LEA): Shares of Lear Corporation are trading lower over 4% today even though double digit revenue growth continues. Lear Corporation manufactures automobile parts. The Company produces seating systems; wiring harnesses; terminals; connectors; junction boxes; body control electronics; wireless products; and audio systems.
10) CIGNA Corporation (NYSE:CI): Shares of CIGNA Corporation are trading lower over 1.5% today after releasing its latest quarterly earnings report. CIGNA Corporation, through its subsidiaries, provides group life and health insurance, managed care products and services, retirement products and services, and individual financial services worldwide. The Company also sells individual life and health insurance and annuity products in selected international locations.