Joe Biden is an American politician and the 46th U.S. president. He was elected in November 2020 and sworn in on January 20, 2021. Before that, he was Barack Obama’s vice president from 2009 to 2017 and a U.S. senator from Delaware from 1973 to 2009.
Since his vice presidency, the Democrat has amassed a considerable net worth, mainly due to book sales and speaking fees. His memoir, Promise Me, Dad: A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose, and first book, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics, are New York Times bestsellers.
Despite enjoying a successful political career, Biden has seen his share of tragedy. His first wife, Neilia Hunter, and their 1-year-old daughter, Naomi, were killed in a car crash in 1972. Their sons, Beau and Hunter, were critically injured. Beau died in 2015 from brain cancer at age 46.
- Full name: Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.
- Born: November 20, 1942
- Hometown: Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Height: 6’0″
- Net worth: $8 million
- Education: University of Delaware (history and political science), Syracuse University (law)
- Spouse: Jill Biden (m. 1977), Neilia Hunter (m. 1966-1972)
- Children: Ashley Biden, Naomi Christina Biden, Hunter Biden, Beau Biden
- Fun fact: He overcame a childhood stutter
Follow Joe Biden on Twitter.