Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) and Samsung have told a court they had made no progress in narrowing the scale of their patent dispute, leaving the matter in the hands of a jury set to start its deliberations on August 21.
The judge overseeing the case in a federal court in San Jose, California, had earlier asked the two parties to try to simplify the dispute and narrow the scope of claims in out-of-court talks. U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh said last week she remained “pathologically optimistic” a settlement could be reached.
However, Apple and Samsung instead made a joint statement that said they had agreed to disagree. “The parties have met and conferred about case narrowing, but have not been able to narrow their cases further,” the court fling signed by attorneys on both sides read.
Judge Koh had also asked the chief executives of the two companies to meet, but the filing did not refer to any such talks between the CEOs, Tim Cook at Apple and Kwon Oh Hyun at Samsung.
Apple sued Samsung last year after accusing it of copying patented designs for mobile devices. Samsung countersued, alleging Apple violated its wireless patents.