The Dow Jones (NYSE:DIA) is 19 points higher today at 12,658, the S&P 500 (NYSE:SPY) is higher 2 points at 1,342 and the Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ) is rising 7 points at 2835 on the 88th trading day of 2011, and here is a group of stocks making moves on our radar and the reasons why:
- SYSCO Corporation (NYSE:SYY): Shares of SYSCO are trading higher over 12% to $32 per share today. Over 19 million shares have traded hands today. An improved quarterly performance has shareholder cheering the stock up today. Sysco Corporation distributes food and related products primarily to the foodservice industry. The Company also distributes personal care guest amenities, housekeeping supplies, room accessories, and textiles to the lodging industry.
- Tyson Foods, Inc. (NYSE:TSN): Shares of Tyson Foods are trading lower over 5% to $17.94 per share today. Over 5 million shares have traded hands today. On record sales in their latest quarterly report, margins are still shrinking. Tyson Foods, Inc. produces, distributes, and markets chicken, beef, pork, prepared foods and related allied products. The Company’s products are marketed and sold to national and regional grocery retailers, regional grocery wholesalers, meat distributors, warehouse club stores, military commissaries, and industrial food processing companies.
- Alkermes, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALKS): Shares of Alkermes are trading higher 3.73% to $15.01 per share today. Over 1.5 million shares have traded hands today. The company is set to acquire Elan for $900 million. Alkermes, Inc. develops products based on drug delivery technologies. The Company is focusing on controlled, sustained release of injectable drugs, as well as the delivery of drugs into the brain past the blood-brain barrier. Alkermes is also focusing on the oral delivery of drugs, and the development of pharmaceutical products based on pulmonary drug delivery technologies.
- BroadSoft Inc (NASDAQ:BSFT): Shares of BroadSoft Inc are trading lower over 2.5% to $42.06 per share today. Over 2 million shares have traded hands today. The company beat both earnings and revenues this morning. BroadSoft Inc. is a global provider of software that enables fixed-line, mobile and cable service providers to deliver voice and multimedia services over their Internet protocol-based, or IP-based, networks. The Company’s software enables customers to provide enterprises and consumers with a range of cloud-based, or hosted, IP multimedia communications.
- Nuance Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NUAN): Shares of Nuance Communications are trading higher over 7% to $21.57 per share today. Over 6.32 million shares have traded hands today. Speculation is brewing that Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) may make a bid for the company. Nuance Communications, Inc. provides speech and imaging solutions for businesses and consumers around the world. The Company’s products include a speech recognizer, call steering, and a product that converts text into speech.
- Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc. (NYSE:DTG): Shares of Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group are trading higher today. Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:HTZ) announced it will acquire DTG for $2.1 billion. Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc. operates Dollar and Thrifty vehicle rental systems. The Company provides its services to leisure customers, tourists, small businesses, and independent business travelers. Dollar Thrifty operates locations in the United States and Canada, as well as other countries.
- iShares Silver (NYSE:SLV): Shares are rebounding 4.67% to $36.10 per share today. iShares Silver Trust is a trust formed to invest in silver. The assets of the trust consist primarily of silver held by the custodian on behalf of the trust. The objective of the trust is for the shares to reflect the price of silver owned by the trust, less the trust’s expenses and liabilities. Silver Wheaton Earnings: Record Earnings and Revenues>>
- Zoran Corporation (NASDAQ:ZRAN): Shares of Zoran are trading lower 12.73% per share today. Over 1.2 million shares have traded hands today. The company reduced guidance for the remainder for 2011 during the release of a disappointing quarterly report this morning. Zoran Corporation develops and markets software, integrated circuits, and IC intellectual property cores for digital audio and video applications enabled by compression. The Company also provides complete reference designs based on its technology. Applications incorporating Zoran’s products and IP include video editing systems, filmless digital cameras, and audio speakers.
- American International Group (NYSE:AIG): Shares are trading lower 3.36% to $29.67 per share today. Over 3.26 million shares have traded hands. American International Group, Inc. is a holding company which, through its subsidiaries provides a varied range of insurance and insurance-related activities in the United States and abroad. The Company’s main activities include both general insurance and life insurance & retirement services operations as well as financial services and asset management.