Consumer research firm Comscore is reporting today that it estimates that Google‘s (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android operating systems increased their share of the smartphone market by 6% in August. This compares to Apple‘s (NASDAQ:AAPL) 0.7% increase in August. At present, Google has 43.7% of the smartphone market to Aple’s 27.3%.
For the three-month average period ending in August, 234 million Americans age 13 and older used mobile devices. Device manufacturer Samsung ranked as the top OEM with 25.3% of US mobile phone subscribers (up 0.5% points from the prior three-month period), followed by LG with 21.0% share and Motorola with 14% share. Apple strengthened its position at #4 with 9.8% share of mobile subscribers (up 1.1%), while RIM rounded out the top five with 7.1% share.
Following is some stock price performance information of these companies:
- Motorola Mobility Holdings (NYSE:MMI): The shares recently traded at $37.81, down $0.06, or 0.16%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $20.77 to $38.74 and its market capitalization is $11.23 billion. About the company: Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc provides advanced mobile media solutions and multi-screen technologies. The Company develops products that include consumer mobile phones, business-ready smartphones accessories, cordless phones, and home networking products.
- Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL): The shares recently traded at $376.58, up $4.08, or 1.1%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $281.82 to $422.86 and its market capitalization is $349.30 billion. About the company: Apple, Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets personal computers and related personal computing and mobile communication devices along with a variety of related software, services, peripherals, and networking solutions. The Company sells its products worldwide through its online stores, its retail stores, its direct sales force, third-party wholesalers, and resellers.
- Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM): The shares recently traded at $23.21, up $2.22, or 10.57%, on the day. The shares have traded in a 52-week range of $19.29 to 470.54 and its market capitalization is $12.09 billion. About the company: Research in Motion Limited designs, manufactures, and markets wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. The Company provides platforms and solutions for access to email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet, and Intranet-based applications.
- Samsung (Trades on the Seoul Stock Exchange): About the company: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a Korea-based company principally engaged in the provision of consumer electronic products. The Company operates its business under two division. The End Product division manufactures and sells digital media products such as digital televisions, monitors, printers, air conditioners, refrigerators and others, as well as information and communication systems and others. The Component division manufactures and sells semiconductors such as memory chips, system large scale integrated circuit products, storages and others, as well as liquid crystal display products such as LCD displays used for TVs, monitors, notebook personal computers and others.
- LG (Trades on the Seoul Stock Exchange): About the company: LG Corp. is the second-largest South Korean conglomerate company following Samsung, and it is headquartered in the LG Twin Towers in Yeouido-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul. LG produces electronics, chemicals, and telecommunications products and operates subsidiaries like LG Electronics, LG Display, LG Telecom and LG Chem in over 80 countries.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>