Which iPad Will Win Over the Holidays?

Source: SonnyDickson.com

Many analysts have speculated that Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) will unveil two new iPad tablets at a media event scheduled for October 22, although opinions have differed as to whether the iPad 5 or the iPad mini 2 will reign victorious this holiday shopping season.

According to a new report from Apple Insider, RBC Capital Markets analyst Amit Daryanani believes the Retina iPad mini 2 will outsell the iPad 5 at a ratio of almost two to one over the holidays. He estimated that Retina iPad mini 2 will make up 65 percent of Apple’s holiday tablet sales and the 9.7-inch iPad 5 will take the remaining 35 percent. Daryanani acknowledged that recent rumors about Retina product shortages could stop Apple from meeting demand and cause his forecasts to be inaccurate.

Barclays Capital analyst Ben A. Reitzes believes the Retina shortage rumors, saying in a note to investors seen by Apple Insider that he’s expecting “major product constraints” for a Retina iPad mini 2 that could even cause the release of the device to be delayed until late December.

Canaccord Genuity analyst David Evanson took Reitzes opinion a step farther, saying that the supply shortage will cause the iPad 5 to outsell the iPad mini 2 over the holiday quarter. Once Apple can meet demand for the product, he expects the mini will begin outselling the fifth-generation iPad in the March 2014 quarter. He estimated that over the holidays Apple will sell 12.9 million iPad 5′s and 11.5 million Retina iPad mini 2 tablets.

Earlier this week, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo made some iPad predictions even further into the future, saying that Apple will release an iPad 6 sometime in 2014, but won’t pursue a larger 12.9-inch model as some have speculated. In addition to the new line of iPads, Apple’s expected to unveil some new MacBook Pro laptops and a Mac Pro desktop computer at the media event October 22.

Follow Jacqueline on Twitter @Jacqui_WSCS

Don’t Miss: Samsung Loses to Apple, Again.