Judge: Apple vs Motorola Case Has No Legs
A patent case between Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) and Google’s (NASDAQ:GOOG) Motorola will not go to trial as scheduled on June 11 and stands to be dismissed because neither side had enough evidence to prove damages. U.S. Circuit Judge Richard Posner passed a “tentative” order in Chicago on Thursday ruling that each company’s case should be dismissed with prejudice, meaning it cannot be brought up again.
Posner said grant any kind of an injunction “would impose costs disproportionate to the harm to the patentee and the benefit of the alleged infringement to the alleged infringer and would be contrary to the public interest.”
Investing Insights: WWDC 2012: Your Cheat Sheet to Apple’s Main Event
The trial was one of several lawsuits that have brought Apple and Motorola, which was bought by Google last month, face-to-face across various countries. In this particular scenario, Apple had sued Motorola for alleged infringements of four patents, but Posner earlier cut damages claims on two of those. Motorola had also countersued over one patent.
“We are pleased by the Illinois trial court’s tentative ruling today dismissing Apple’s patent claims and look forward to receiving the full decision,” Google said in a statement, while Apple declined to comment.