It’s the iPhone. (Surprise, surprise.) Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) smartphone has about 41.4 percent of the American smartphone market share according to comScore’s Report for April 2014. The report came out in early June, and it was no surprise that other data in the report reflected a lot of the smartphone trends we have seen so far in 2014. In fact a lot of the data confirms what other researchers and analysts are saying.
Samsung (SSNLF.PK) came in second place with 27.7 percent of the market. Fellow Android platform brands LG, Motorola, and HTC round out the top five.
Due to the fact that four of the top five smartphone brands are Android smartphones, the Android platform is the most popular with 52.5 percent of the market. Apple’s iOS has 41.4 percent, a number that should look familiar because the platform is the brand. Together that’s 93.9 percent of the smartphone market, which is a slight increase from the 93 percent earlier this year.
Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) is in third place with 3.3 of the market, an increase in its lead over BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY), 2.5 percent of the market. Symbian is in last place with 0.2 percent of the platform market.
For the most part, these numbers are not dramatically different from comScore’s last report, which was based on January 2014 data. The only major smartphone company to grow from the last report was Samsung. As the company’s new flagship smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S5 came out during this period. It is not surprising the company grew. It could also be why on the platform side Android grew. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is an Android smartphone.
Other platform data reflected industry trends. Blackberry’s decline continued with it losing .06 percent of the smartphone platform market. Apple experienced a slight .02 percent decline due likely to low interest in the iPhone 5S a year after its release. It will likely pick up after Apple releases the iPhone 6.
When it comes to how Americans use their phones, the data points to familiar apps. Facebook is the most popular app across the board. This is hardly surprising since about 1 billion people worldwide use Facebook mobile apps. The ComScore data shows that 74.1 percent of mobile users use it. In second place is Google Play, Android’s app database in app form with 50.9 percent of the market.
Overall the report shows no shocking trends in the American market. The iPhone is the most popular smartphone. Android and iOS are the top platforms. Almost everyone uses the mobile version of Facebook. The 167.9 million people who own smartphones are becoming a predictable lot even as their numbers grow and the American smartphone market matures.