‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’: A Complete Guide to the 2022 May Day Maze Event
May is just around the corner, which means it’s time for the Animal Crossing: New Horizons May Day 2022 event. For those new to the Nintendo game, this annual, week-long activity gives players the chance to visit a special mystery island and solve a maze to win rewards. With limited resources available to get past obstacles, the maze takes careful consideration and can prove to be a challenge. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with a walkthrough, tips, and more. Here’s what to know.
‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ May Day 2022 dates and how to get started
May Day 2022 runs from Friday, April 29, to Saturday, May 7. On the first day of the event, you should receive a letter in the mail from Nook Inc. explaining that Tom Nook has “arranged a special trip” as thanks for everything you’ve done for the island. If you’re a new player, you might also see a May Day notice on the bulletin board outside Resident Services with a message to speak to Nook. He will also give players a phone call.
No matter how you receive the message, Nook will tell you to visit the airport before May 7 to participate in the event. There will be a special Nook Miles ticket at the desk that will take you to the maze island.
However, it’s important to note that you won’t be able to take anything in your pockets — Orville will have to hold everything at the desk. There’s also no returning to the maze island, so make sure you’ve finished up and collected everything before heading home.
Once you land on the island, Wilbur will explain that Rover is waiting at the end of the maze. You’ll have to collect resources and use them wisely to clear obstacles and find your way to the exit.
May Day 2022 maze tips
Throughout the maze, you’ll find tree branches, stones, fruit, iron, and a few used tools. There’s also a workbench and obstacles like trees, rocks, bushes, and holes. It’s very important to use your items wisely to eliminate obstacles because they won’t last long. If you use them in the incorrect order, you’ll likely get stuck.
Here are some things to keep in mind. If you do get stuck, you can always call Rescue Services to reset the maze, but it will still cost 100 Nook Miles each time. Additionally, as Animal Crossing World notes, remember that you can eat fruit for energy to pick up trees with a shovel instead of cutting them down with an axe. That’s not always going to be the right move, but it is an option. You also don’t necessarily need to dig up the stumps — simply sit on them and turn yourself around to get past them.
May Day 2022 maze walkthrough
Follow these steps to complete the Animal Crossing: New Horizons May Day 2022 maze and reach Rover:
- Pick up the shovel and dig up the shrub on the left, then grab the fruit.
- Eat the fruit and dig up the tree.
- Head all the way up and then all the way to the left and down, picking up a tree branch on the way.
- Turn right and jump over the holes, stopping at each intersection to pick up tree branches, a stone, and the axe.
- Head back the way you came until you get to the tree in the top left. Cut it down with the axe.
- Dig up or jump over the stump to reach two fruits and a branch.
- Head back down and jump over two holes. Then head down the first intersection with another hole to reach a rock.
- Eat one fruit to break the rock. Collect the iron and then head back the way you came, going toward the top left of the map again.
- When you reach the intersection in the top left, head all the way to the right to find three wood pieces.
- Continue down the path until you see a rock. Eat a fruit and break it to receive another fruit.
- Eat the fruit and dig up the tree to reach the workbench.
- Craft a shovel and an ax.
- Head back up and to the left, jumping over the three holes until you reach the tree.
- Use the ax to cut the tree and grab two more fruits.
- Head up and jump over the hole. Turn left when you reach the wall and jump over every hole. You should reach the area with three intersections and holes — take the first one down.
- Move all the way to the left until you reach a tree. Cut it down with the axe.
- Move up through the maze, collecting a fruit on the way.
- When you reach the three trees, cut them all down and remove the stumps.
That’s it, you made it to the end! Talk to Rover to claim your reward.
‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ May Day 2022 rewards
Once you’ve finished the maze, Rover will tell you that he’ll mail you a prize the next day. You’ll receive the exclusive Rover’s Briefcase item, as well as Rover’s Photo if you’re a returning player. Plus, before you leave, you can go around and collect nine Bell Vouchers. Again. you’ll receive these in the mail from Dodo Airlines — exchange them at Nook’s Cranny for bells!
There will be some in the top right corner by Rover and on the bottom left of the map next to the maze’s start. You can use your leftover resources to clear the remaining obstacles. And there’s no need to head back through the maze — you can go around the outside by clearing the bushes.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is available now on Nintendo Switch, as well as the Happy Home Paradise DLC.