Start Your Morning with This Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe from Joanna Gaines’ ‘Magnolia Journal’
Are you stuck in a breakfast rut? If you’re looking for a new breakfast recipe, you’re in luck. Look no further than the latest issue of Magnolia Journal. Joanna Gaines’ magazine is so much more than home-design advice. There are also tons of recipes to choose from. One recipe you’ll want to try is the cinnamon coffee cake. Here’s a recipe that just might make mornings easier.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Bake: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Cool: 30 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
- 2 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 4 ¾ cups + 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 2tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 ½ cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup butter (1 ¼ sticks), softened
- 3 eggs
1. For toppings, stir together 1 cup of granulated sugar, 1 cup of flour, pecans (if you decide to use them), and 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon. Next, stir in melted butter to make a crumbly mixture. Chill the mixture until needed.
2. For filling, stir 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 tbsp. of flour, and the rest of the 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon. Set the mixture aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 6-qt. enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven.
4. Stir remaining 3 ¾ cups of flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. In another bowl whisk the milk, sour cream, and vanilla. In a large bowl beat softened butter, remaining 1 ¼ cups of granulated sugar, and the remaining ½ cup of brown sugar with a mixer on high until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture in thirds, alternating with half of the milk mixture, beating just until smooth after each addition.
5. Spread half of the batter in prepared Dutch oven. Sprinkle filling over batter. Top with remaining batter, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with topping.
6. Bake for 1 hour, 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in Dutch oven on a wire rack at least 30 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in foil and refrigerate up to three days.
Source: Fall 2019 issue, Magnolia Journal
Check out Showbiz Cheat Sheet on Facebook!