Kate Middleton and Prince William Forced to Defend Themselves Over Latest Meghan Markle Snub

When Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William posted a special message earlier this month celebrating Prince Harry’s 36th birthday, their choice of photo had fans talking. The William and Kate shared a photo of themselves racing Harry at a 2017 event for Heads Together. Noticeably absent from the photo was Harry’s wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. Now, William and Kate have been forced to defend themselves over the alleged snub.

Meghan Markle Prince Harry Prince William Kate Middleton
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, Prince William, and Kate Middleton | Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images

Kate Middleton and Prince William missed out on Harry’s birthday zoom call

According to The Mirror, the royal family participated in a Zoom call to celebrate Harry’s 36th birthday on September 15.

It was Prince Charles who reportedly organized the call for Harry’s special day. It included Queen Elizabeth, Charles, and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall in the UK. On the other end were Harry, Meghan, and their son, Archie Harrison, from their home in Montecito, California.

However, William and Kate didn’t participate. A royal source reveals that the call was “a bit awkward” without the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

RELATED: Prince Harry Just Made a Major Move, Cutting Ties With Kate Middleton Even Further

“William sent his birthday best wishes,” the insider dished. “There was some excuse made about why he wasn’t there….It was a bit awkward that William and Kate weren’t there.”

The source noted that it was still a “very pleasant” call. Harry told his family how much he missed them. Meghan baked a cake for the occasion. When Harry went to blow out the candles, Archie made everyone laugh when he attempted to help.

Archie reportedly stole the show during the call because he called his grandpa, Prince Charles, “Pa.”

Prince Harry was ‘deeply hurt’ by the exclusion of his wife from birthday posts

A number of senior royals took the opportunity to mark Harry’s 36th birthday with social media posts. In addition to William and Kate, Queen Elizabeth shared a sweet pic and message for her grandson. Charles and Camilla also shared photos on the Clarence House page.

However, all of the images the royals shared didn’t include the Duchess of Sussex. Queen Elizabeth shared a photo of herself at an event with her grandson. Charles and Camilla posted two pics of the Prince of Wales’ youngest son. One was a solo shot, and the other was of Charles and Harry laughing together.

RELATED: Prince William and Kate Middleton’s Last Interaction With Harry and Meghan Was Not As Bad as Everyone Thought (Exclusive)

According to Express, the snubbing of Meghan in the birthday posts “hurt” Prince Harry. Royal journalist Amanda Platell says that palace protocol dictates that spouses aren’t included in pictures celebrating royal birthdays.

However, she says it “must have hurt Prince Harry deeply” to see that everyone’s photos excluded Meghan. She pointed out that William and Kate’s photo actually included the Duchess of Cambridge, which made things even worse.

“Surely even blue blood is thicker than water,” Platell said.

Prince William and Kate Middleton respond to claims they snubbed Meghan Markle

According to Express, ITV’s Royal Rota host Chris Ship and producer Lizzie Robinson discussed the numerous birthday posts courtesy of the royal family. The royal experts explained that Queen Elizabeth’s picture came from a reception in 2017. The Clarence House photos were from 2014 at the Invictus Games.

It made sense that the Queen’s photo was just of her with Harry. And, Charles’ photos only included him and his son. But, Kate and William’s picture from the 2017 Heads Together race has sparked debate because it wasn’t just William and Harry. It also included Kate, but no Meghan.

RELATED: Kate Middleton and Prince William Display Photos of Harry and Meghan Confirms a Kensington Palace Guest

“Should it have been just William and Harry?” Robinson asked. “Does having Kate there pose more questions?”

Robinson then shared a rare statement from Prince William and Kate Middleton at Kensington Palace. It stated that “people are reading too much into this and it’s just a nice photo.”