Meghan Markle’s Dad Is About to Testify Against Her in Court

It’s no secret that Meghan, Duchess of Sussex’s time in the British royal family has been tumultuous. Though the royals themselves seemed to be cordial with the former actress, the British press and public weren’t so welcoming.

The British tabloids have published bombastic articles about the duchess using thinly veiled racist and sexist rhetoric. Though both the duchess and Prince Harry attempted to let things roll off their backs — things only escalated from there.

It didn’t help that Markle’s own family — her father, Thomas Markle, and half-siblings, Samatha Markle and Thomas Markle, Jr., have used every opportunity presented to them to speak negatively about the Suits alum while sticking their hands out for a check. Now, Markle’s father may testify against her in court.

Inside Meghan Markle’s relationship with her estranged father

Leading up to her May 2018 wedding to Prince Harry, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex always spoke highly about her father. Though she was open about not being close to her half-siblings — she often shared that her father wanted her to be a proud and outspoken mixed-race woman.

Unfortunately around the time of her wedding — her father backed out of attending due to what the duchess thought was health concerns. Even prior to the royal wedding, the former cameramen had been delighted to spill the beans about his relationship with his daughter.

However, the last straw for the mother-of-one was when he staged paparazzi photos of himself.

View this post on Instagram

Meghan Markle Asks Prince Charles To Walk Her Down the Aisle After Her Father Confirms He Won’t Be Attending the Wedding – Blogged by: @RaquelHarrisTV ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ #MeghanMarkle will be walking down the aisle with royalty on her arm, as she’s asked her future father-in-law #PrinceCharles to walk her on behalf of her father. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ The former actress announced on Friday that she’d asked the 69-year-old Royal if he’d do her the honor. Markle’s biological father #ThomasMarkle was originally supposed to carry out the duty. Unfortunately, Markle confirmed on Thursday that he would no longer be attending the wedding. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ “Ms. Meghan Markle has asked His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales to accompany her down the aisle of the Quire of St George’s Chapel on her Wedding Day,” the palace statement said. “The Prince of Wales is pleased to be able to welcome Ms. Markle to The Royal Family in this way.” ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Reports show that “It was Meghan’s wish and she is grateful for the Prince of Wales to be doing it,” a royal source tells PEOPLE. The decision to ask Prince Charles was made in less than 24 hours after she found out her father wouldn’t be attending. Her father, Thomas, decided to step down after a successful heart surgery, as well as afrer it was revealed that he was working with a paparazzi agency to stage several photo shoots.

A post shared by Baller Alert (@balleralert) on

Meghan Markle’s father leaked her private letter

In the months following her wedding, the duchess tried to make amends with her father. She wrote him a lengthy and heartfelt letter that read,

Your actions have broken my heart into a million pieces – not simply because you have manufactured such unnecessary and unwarranted pain, but by making the choice to not tell the truth as you are puppeteered in this. Something I will never understand. You’ve told the Press that you called me to say you weren’t coming to the wedding – that didn’t happen because you never called.’ She accused him of ignoring her attempts to reach out in the days before the wedding, saying: ‘From my phone alone, I called you over 20 times and you ignored my calls… leaving me in the days before our wedding worried, confused, shocked and absolutely blindsided.

We know the details of the letter because Mail on Sunday published portions of the duchess’ handwritten letter in February 2019.

Meghan Markle’s father may be testifying against her in court

In October 2019 — Prince Harry made a statement saying that he would be taking legal action against Mail on Sunday for publishing the letter. He said,

Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences—a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son. There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is knowingly false and malicious, and though we have continued to put on a brave face—as so many of you can relate to—I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been.

Now, the duchess’ father has been called to testify against her in court. According to US Weekly, Thomas Markle will be called on behalf of the Associated Newspapers and Mail on Sunday to offer evidence against his daughter and Prince Harry.

Apparently he has already given the courts private texts between himself and the duchess. Mail on Sunday is arguing the duchess, “did not have a reasonable expectation of privacy that the contents of the letter were private and would remain so.”

No wonder the duke and duchess have decided to rethink royal life.