Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Never Going Back to Their Royal Duties, Expert Claims: ‘They’ve Made Their Decision’

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex left their royal duties earlier this year and while there has been some speculation that they could return, one royal expert believes that won’t happen. Have Prince Harry and Meghan moved on for good?

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry visit the British High Commissioner's residence to attend an afternoon Reception to celebrate the UK and South Africa’s important business and investment relationship
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry | Samir Hussein/WireImage

Meghan and Prince Harry exited the family

In January, Prince Harry and Meghan stunned the world when they announced their plans to step back from their royal duties. Queen Elizabeth supported their decision and made arrangements for the couple to officially end their royal duties on March 31.

In a speech he delivered following the queen’s statement of support, Prince Harry shared how their decision was a necessary one, noting how they felt they had no other option.

“The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back is not one I made lightly. It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven’t always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option,” he said to guests at a dinner for supporters of Sentebale.

RELATED: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Exit Is ‘Sad for the Queen’ and a ‘Letdown for the British People,’ Says Expert

Will Prince Harry and Meghan return?

The Sussexes first resided in Canada before making their move to Los Angeles after their exit, but many have wondered if they would eventually return to the royal family after some time away.

Royal expert Marlene Koenig explained to Express why she believes they are gone for good, despite the queen’s one-year trial agreement. When asked if, at the end of the year, the Sussexes might return, Koenig said, “Absolutely not, not going to happen. They have made their decision and the Queen has accepted it.”

The Sussexes’ decision was necessary for the couple to escape the harsh criticism they endured from the media, so it’s unlikely that they would want to return to that spotlight again.

Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge have taken on more

In the Sussexes’ absence, Prince William and Kate have been more active, with Koenig believing Prince Harry and Meghan aren’t “needed.”

“I do see, for example, the Cambridges certainly stepping up, taking on more,” the expert explained, adding, “Obviously not right now, once we’ve passed COVID-19 and people are able to go out again and live far more normal lives.”

She shared, “I also certainly think Sophie will be taking more as well. I don’t think they’re needed.”

There’s no ‘going back’

The Sussexes may not be working in a royal capacity, but they continue to stay in touch with the charities they supported as they move forward with their own organization, Archwell.

“They will keep in touch with their charities and the system will be reviewed after a year,” Koenig shared. “By that time I think they’ll be on a financial foothold for themselves, and they will have made more decisions on where they are going to live and what their new non-profit will be.”

Koenig doesn’t believe there’s any chance at that point that the Sussexes will return. “But I think they’ve made their decision and I don’t think there’s any going back,” Koenig noted.