Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Aren’t Safe: ‘Something Catastrophic’ Could Go Wrong, Royal Bodyguard Warns
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have recently settled into a new life in Los Angeles, California. The two announced in January 2020 that they were permanently leaving the royal family, and they officially finished their duties on March 31.
Now, Harry is reportedly back on speaking terms with his brother, Prince William, and according to those close to the family, William is concerned for Harry’s safety. But one former royal bodyguard understands that concern and feels something “catastrophic” could potentially go wrong with Harry and Meghan living in the U.S.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle don’t have the security they once did
When Harry and Meghan announced that they’d be leaving the royal family, they were leaving more than just a beautiful palace. The two were also leaving their family and the protection that came with it. For years, Harry had been guarded by some of the most intense security teams in the world. He was protected by people who were familiar with royal protocol and understood how to best keep the royal family safe.
When Harry and Meghan moved to the U.S., they traded in that protection for a new kind of freedom. But they still required security, and rumor has it Prince Charles footed half of the bill to keep the couple protected in their new home. Despite the reported multi-million-dollar price tag, it might not be enough.
A former royal bodyguard has expressed concern about the couple’s safety
Simon Morgan, who served as a bodyguard for the royal family from 2007 to 2013, knows firsthand how much goes into protecting one of the world’s most important families. He told Insider of what Meghan and Harry’s new security team should expect and seemed to express concern about how well they would protect the couple.
“Their new team will be picking things up as they go along… And certainly from the duke’s perspective, many of those royal protection officers were with him for many years,” Morgan said, noting that the new security team won’t understand Harry and the royal circle of protection as well as they should. “It’s a steep learning curve, both for the protection team and the principals themselves… You can’t have a bad day in the office. You have to get it right every day — the bad guy only needs to get it right once.”
Morgan also expressed concern about the tactics the new team might use, saying they need to focus on more than just paparazzi and see the bigger picture of a potentially more serious threat. “It’s all well and good driving fast and pushing people away… But that only has a very short shelf life before something catastrophic goes wrong.”
Prince William is reportedly calling for Harry and Meghan to return to London
Morgan’s concerns about the couple’s safety aren’t totally unfounded. The royals have a very intense team of protectors, which Harry and Meghan currently do not have. And according to a source close to the couple, William has also expressed concern and suggested that Harry and Meghan return to London.
“William’s advised Harry to return to London or move elsewhere, somewhere safer,” the insider told Us Weekly. “He’s concerned about his brother’s well-being and safety.” It’s unclear at this point if Harry and Meghan will listen, but they likely spent months planning their royal exit. We wouldn’t be surprised if they stay put in L.A. for a good amount of time.