Prince Harry’s Name Change Is Not a ‘Personal Dig’ at Queen Elizabeth, Says Royal Source
Prince Harry shocked fans earlier this year when he suddenly announced that he would step down from being a senior member of the royal family. Additionally, he was also working to become financially independent while splitting time between North America and the United Kingdom.
Many people saw these moves as a sign that Prince Harry was turning his back on his family. His recent decision to shorten his name also got fans talking about how it could be a “personal dig” at Queen Elizabeth. However, a royal source revealed that, contrary to popular belief, Prince Harry’s name change has nothing to do with Her Majesty.
Prince Harry dropped his royal title and surname earlier this month
Earlier this month, Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex announced that they were working hard to launch a new charity organization called Archewell. They previously had an organization called Sussex Royal, but the couple decided to drop it as a part of their exit agreement because of the UK’s government policy surrounding the use of the word “royal.”
As a part of this agreement, Prince Harry also could no longer use his royal or military title, so he dropped his HRH title and Mountbatten-Windsor last name. When Prince Harry registered his new charity project, Travelyst, he applied under the name Prince Henry Charles Albert David, Duke of Sussex.
Additionally, at a launch event to Travelyst back in March, the host shared with the crowd that Prince Harry wanted to keep things casual, saying: “He’s made it clear that we are all just to call him Harry. So ladies and gentlemen, please give a big, warm, Scottish welcome to Harry.”
Prince Harry’s name change is reportedly not a ‘personal dig’ at the queen
According to Us Weekly, a royal insider revealed that Prince Harry is “not planning to officially drop his Mountbatten-Windsor title legally.” He simply won’t use it as much as before.
The source also reiterated that Prince Harry wants to “keep things casual” and go by simply his first name. It is also “not a personal dig” at Queen Elizabeth in any way, however.
The source said: “The bottom line is, he prefers to keep it casual and be known as ‘Harry.'”
The source also added that Prince Harry has reportedly spoken with the queen and “reassured” her it’s not about her, and that “she still means the world to him.”
What jobs will Prince Harry and Meghan Markle take on?
As Prince Harry and Meghan said back in January, the couple will still “fully support Her Majesty” and take on royal duties in the UK. Yet, they most likely will take on other types of work as well.
As mentioned before, the pair recently launched their new charity organization Archewell, so it seems that they will spend time on Travelyst as well as other projects that should be announced in the future.
There are also a lot of speculations about Meghan returning to her Hollywood roots. She recently signed a voiceover deal with Disney+ to narrate the documentary called Elephant, which premiered on April 3. It’s not clear whether Meghan will continue to work with Disney or not, but fans believe that we will continue to see more of her in Hollywood.
The Sussexes recently relocated to Los Angeles after a few months in Canada, so it is highly possible that they are looking at the entertainment industry as a viable place to have a career now that they are no longer full-time royals. According to the Daily Mail, Meghan’s agent is working hard to find her the best job possible, and given her status, it is likely that there are many options for her.
There are rumors that Meghan would like to get back into acting as well, though probably not as a lead actress.
“She knows she can’t carry a film as an actress. People won’t be able to get past the fact she’s Meghan Markle,” a source told the Daily Mail. “But she’s determined to act again, and she thinks a big, ensemble film is the way to go… something that pays big, but which doesn’t put her front and center.”