Royal Critic Attacks Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s ‘Staggering Disrespect’ for Queen Elizabeth

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex released a statement that provided more details about their exit from the royal family, including their agreement to give up the name “Sussex Royal.” The Sussexes’ critics have taken aim at this statement, with their most vocal critic, Piers Morgan, slamming the couple on Twitter.

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, and Queen Elizabeth II pose for a picture during the Queen's Young Leaders Awards Ceremony on June 26, 2018
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, and Queen Elizabeth II | JOHN STILLWELL/AFP via Getty Images

The Sussexes won’t use the ‘Sussex Royal’ name

As rumors swirled about whether the queen would ban Prince Harry and Meghan’s use of the Sussex Royal name, the couple released a statement to clear things up.

“While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding the use of the word ‘Royal,’ it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation will not utilise the name ‘Sussex Royal’ or any other iteration of ‘Royal,’” read the statement on the couple’s website.

“For the above reason, the trademark applications that had been filed as protective measures and that reflected the same standard trademarking requests as done for The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, have been removed,” the statement further explained.

They continued: “While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.”

Morgan found the statement disrespectful

The lengthy statement the Sussexes released provided more clarity around their transition but Morgan was quick to find fault with it. “The staggering disrespect these two keep showing to the Queen is outrageous. Who the hell do they think they are?,” he tweeted.

When royal fans challenged Morgan’s thoughts on the matter, he had plenty more to say. He tweeted: “I read it in their own statement, posted to their own website last night, in which they directly dispute the Queen’s right to stop them using the ‘Royal’ tag abroad to flog themselves to bankers. I’ve never seen any royal publicly try to challenge the Queen’s authority like this.”

When another fan said to leave them alone, Morgan made his view clear, tweeting: “Pipe down you clueless, sycophantic clown. They released a lengthy statement last night directly challenging the Queen’s authority. I will continue to support Her Majesty & the Monarchy against the Sussexes’ shameful efforts to have their royal cake and eat it. End.”

Does their statement reveal how unhappy they are?

While the intention of the statement was to quiet rumors as the couple makes their official move away from the royal family, one royal expert believes it’s very telling of how unhappy the Sussexes are about the arrangement.

“The statement’s underlying message is they are very, very unhappy with this arrangement,” royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams told The Sun Online, adding, “It was completely unnecessary.”

Fitzwilliams further noted that this “may lead to future trouble — they don’t like the arrangement that is forcing them to step down as working royals and not use their titles, even though they will have them.”

He continued: “They want to use Sussex Royal but by saying the monarchy doesn’t have the power to prevent them from using it — why say that? There’s no point.”

“My hope is the bitterness they seem to feel with the current arrangement will become more positive as months progress,” Fitzwilliams shared.