Royal Expert Claims Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Showed ‘Lack of Respect for the Queen’ With Latest Statement

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex released a statement that laid out their plans for exiting the royal family, including the agreement to give up the word ‘royal’ in their branding — but not everyone was won over by the wording. Many critics believed that the statement was disrespectful to the queen.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle during their visit to Canada House in thanks for the warm Canadian hospitality and support they received during their recent stay in Canada
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle | DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS – WPA Pool/Getty Images

Prince Harry and Meghan will officially exit on March 31

Prince Harry and Meghan announced their plans to “step back” in January and Queen Elizabeth gave her blessing for their request for financial independence from the royal family.

The queen released a statement sharing her support of their decision, explaining: “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family. I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.”

The Sussexes moved to Canada and will officially end their royal duties on March 31.

The Sussexes’ statement comes under fire

On Feb. 21, Prince Harry and Meghan released a statement that said, in part, that they won’t use the ‘Sussex Royal’ name.

“While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding the use of the word ‘Royal,’ it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation will not utilise the name ‘Sussex Royal’ or any other iteration of ‘Royal,’” the statement on the couple’s website shared.

“For the above reason, the trademark applications that had been filed as protective measures and that reflected the same standard trademarking requests as done for The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, have been removed,” the statement continued.

Further, the statement noted: “While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.”

Did they disrespect the queen?

Royal photographer Arthur Edwards weighed in on their statement, sharing how he believes that Prince Harry and Meghan showed a “lack of respect for the queen.”

“I think it was a little bit insolent… it was written obviously by a lawyer, an American lawyer by the sounds of the way it’s written, who doesn’t understand quite how it works here. You know, when the queen says you can’t do something, you can’t do it,” Edwards told The Sun.

He continued, “And that’s it. She’s not saying it because she’s being spiteful to Harry, who she absolutely adores, but it’s because it’s the law… and you certainly can’t use a royal title for commercial gain. They can’t have tea-towels and cups with their brand on it, it’s not on.”

Edwards further shared, “whoever wrote that statement and put in on their website, it was insolent. I think it just speaks of lack of respect for the queen and I don’t agree with it. I think Harry has chosen to quit the royal family, that’s fair enough. Everybody should determine what they do in life, but if you’re doing that, then you quit. You don’t take what you want out of it and leave the rest. You can’t, as they say, ‘have your cake and eat it.’