‘The Barefoot Contessa’ Ina Garten’s Peanut Butter & Jelly Bar Recipe Will Make You Nostalgic for Childhood
The Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten is quickly establishing herself as one of the most joy-filled Instagram accounts to follow during the coronavirus pandemic and subsequent quarantine. As expected, the 72-year-old best-selling cookbook author is sharing plenty of kitchen advice, from what to keep stocked in your pantry to how to make the best use of what you have on hand.
She’s also dishing out recipes that will bring her followers comfort during these trying times. Recently, Garten shared a fan favorite recipe for Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars that are a little bit sweet, a little bit salty, and completely reminiscent of the carefree days of childhood.
Ina Garten’s Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars are shockingly simple to make at home
Even if your pantry has been looking a little empty lately, there’s a good chance your already have all the ingredients you need to whip up these delicious looking bars without making a trip to the grocery store. They make the perfect snack that’s packed with protein and good at soothing your senses.
Plus, Garten used the post to encourage her fans to reach out and ask for help coming up with recipes based on what they had. “If you have PB&J in the pantry, you can make my Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars!” she wrote on Instagram. “Who wouldn’t want one of these?? What do you have in your pantry that you can’t figure out how to use? Maybe I can help!”
How to make the Barefoot Contessa’s Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars
For a treat everyone in your household will enjoy, look no further than these crowd-pleasing bars.
Ina Garten’s Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars
- ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for greasing
- the pan
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter, such as Skippy (18 ounces)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ cups raspberry jam or other jam (18 ounces)
- 2/3 cups salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light yellow, about 2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the vanilla, eggs, and peanut butter and mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Spread two thirds of the dough in the prepared pan, using a knife to spread it evenly. Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Drop small globs of the remaining dough evenly over the jam. Don’t worry if all the jam isn’t covered; the dough will spread when it bakes. Sprinkle with the chopped peanuts and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and cut into small squares.
Makes 24 bars.