Wonho Credits Monsta X Fans for Showing Him What It’s Like to Be Loved

On March 14, Starship Entertainment released a statement announcing that the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency dropped the drug-related charges against former Monsta X member Wonho. The singer sat down for an exclusive interview with Dispatch in February detailing what his past few months have been like.

Monsta X
Monsta X | Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for iHeartMedia

Wonho left Monsta X in October 2019

On Oct. 31, 2019, Wonho published a handwritten letter to Monsta X’s fancafe announcing that he was leaving the group after being accused of marijuana use. Starship Entertainment released an official statement as well and proceeded to terminate Wonho’s contract.

“I am announcing that I am leaving MONSTA X today. I am apologetic for causing harm to the members due to the unfortunate issues related to me. More than anything, I am sorry for disappointing my fans who believed in me. I have reached this decision after seeing many people having a hard time because of me. In addition to our members, I once again sincerely bow my head in apology to the fans who have believed in me and supported me,” Wonho wrote in the letter.

In the new interview with Dispatch, Wonho discussed why he made the decision to leave the K-pop group.

“I didn’t want to see Monsta X break apart because of me. I thought the group could be saved if I left the group as soon as possible,” Wonho said.

In the interview, he also apologized to fans, saying, “I promised so much to fans and said I’d always be by their side. It’s regrettable that I had to leave this way. I can’t forget my fans still and all I have is regret, like I should’ve done better? I just want to say ‘sorry.'”

Wonho was cleared of all charges

Starship Entertainment released a statement on March 14, 2020 announcing that the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s investigation of the drug-related charges against Wonho concluded on March 10. The statement explained that the charges against Wonho were dropped and his name was cleared.

“In late October last year, allegations of marijuana smoking were raised against Wonho which consequently led the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s drug investigation team to investigate all drug charges on him. During the investigation, Wonho actively cooperated with the police and all investigation procedures, including scientific examinations by the investigative agencies. The Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s drug investigation unit conducted extensive investigations for the past five months but was unable to find any charges. Finally, on March 10th, Wonho’s internal investigation was concluded,” reads the statement. “During the long investigation, we tried our best to minimize media exposure to Wonho and to appoint an attorney to ensure that there are no charges against him. We will continue to fully support Wonho for developing his own career in the future.”

Wonho’s interview with Dispatch took place while the investigation was still ongoing, and in the interview he maintained that he was innocent.

“I’ve never used cannabis. Police are investigating and when I’m proven innocent, please write my story. I want to apologize and clear up the misunderstanding. I want to be forgiven,” he said.

Wonho credits Monsta X fans for showing him love

As soon as Wonho left Monsta X in 2019, Monbebes started fighting for him to return to the group. They trended hashtags daily and insisted the singer-songwriter was innocent. Monbebes also started petitions and raised over $20,000 to rent a billboard spot in New York City’s Times Square.

“I can say with pride that I completely changed after meeting Monbebes. I learned what it’s like to be loved. They made me want to live every day to the fullest,” Wonho said in the interview.

Since Wonho’s name was cleared, Monbebes have kept up their dedication. With the hashtags #WonhoIsAlmostHome and #OneStepCloserToWonho, Monsta X fans are actively campaigning for Wonho to rejoin Starship Entertainment and Monsta X.