Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s New Neighbors Speak Out After Police Showed Up at Estate to Arrest Him
For those who thought King Charles’ disgraced younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was going to move far away from the royal limelight and live the rest of his life quietly, that’s not happening.
Two weeks after leaving Royal Lodge and relocating to a Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate, police descended on the property in the town and arrested the former prince. Now, Andrew’s neighbors are sounding off about the dramatic scene that took place in their neck of the woods.
The Times reported that overall, “residents, used to seeing the royal family, were fed up by the news that Andrew had been arrested. Younger ones because it felt like too little too late; older ones because they felt it was a ‘witch-hunt.'”
Window company owner Luke Schrier told the publication, “If we went back 200 years ago, he’d have been beheaded. It’s an embarrassment to England because this is going to be worldwide.”
Bricklayer Jamie Jackson added that the attitudes among locals towards the royal family differs depending on who you talk to, explaining, “My mum and my nan all follow [the royals] — anyone my age (31) doesn’t care. I don’t know anyone that supports him round here.”
Others in the area admitted that they felt sorry for the rest of the family, with one saying it was “sad” but a good thing [Queen Elizabeth II] isn’t here for this.
Prior to Andrew’s arrest, some residents were already frustrated that his move to Sandringham brought the press with him. As one person complained to The Mirror, “The press are all down there. The villagers don’t like that. It’s a quiet village.”
Another neighbor fumed over the fact that the ex-prince was shipped to Sandringham in the first place, declaring, “They’re dumping their royal rubbish on us.”
And another suggested that Andrew should have gone someplace out in the woods, surrounded by trees and no other houses,” arguing his current residence was “too close to the road.” They added there would “always” be journalists around, saying, “I think there’s better places he could have actually gone.”
On Feb. 19, the former Duke of York was taken into custody on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He has continued to deny any wrongdoing in connection with Jeffrey Epstein and was spotted leaving the police station 11 hours after he was brought in.
Following Andrew’s arrest, the Palace released a statement from King Charles that read, “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair, and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”