Skip to main content

It has been more than two months since Rob Reiner and his wife, Michele Singer Reiner, were found stabbed to death in their Brentwood home. It has been more than two months since they were last seen alive at Conan O’Brien’s holiday party. The party was an event he threw to bolster his spirits. It has also been more than two months since the couple’s son, Nick Reiner, was charged in connection with the crime. Since then, Hollywood has openly mourned the pair. Conan O’Brien stayed silent. Now he’s finally talking about his late friends. Still, he’s steering very clear of the more controversial parts of his shared history with the late Reiners.

Conan O’Brien opens up about the last time he saw Rob and Michele Reiner

Conan O’Brien has remained quiet about the party that turned out to be Rob and Michele Reiner’s very last public event. He hasn’t talked to the press, and if he has talked to friends about it, they have remained tight-lipped. Now, though, he’s ready to chat a bit. O’Brien sat down with the New Yorker to discuss the Oscars. As expected, the conversation steered toward the Reiner family tragedy.

O’Brien didn’t touch on the fight that Nick Reiner allegedly had with his parents at O’Brien’s party. He didn’t mention the couple leaving the event early. In fact, he never once brought up Nick Reiner, what he is accused of. It’s likely too painful and traumatic.

Instead, he discussed how much he enjoyed Rob and Michele’s company, and how chilling it was to learn the pair had been murdered hours after they last said goodbye. He told the outlet, “They were just such lovely people. And to have that experience of saying good night to somebody and having them leave and then find out the next day that they’re gone… I think I was in shock for quite a while afterward.”

Nick Reiner is due back in court soon

Conan O’Brien might not want to talk about Nick Reiner, but the aspiring screenwriter’s name will be back in the news sooner rather than later. The second child of Rob and Michele Reiner is due back in court on February 23 for his arraignment hearing. The younger Reiner’s arraignment was initially scheduled for January, but the judge postponed the date when the 32-year-old’s lawyer, Alan Jackson, abruptly quit the case. He is now working with a public defender.

Related

Romy Reiner’s Eerie Instagram Updates Showed Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner Looking Happy

Nick Reiner has been held at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility in Los Angeles since December. He is facing two counts of first-degree murder for the December 14 slayings.