Skip to main content

Lil Nas X has remained pretty quiet since his release from a Los Angeles jail cell last week. He made one statement after his release, reassuring his fans that he’s going to be alright, but the “Old Town Road” artist officially has a lot of legal trouble to work through, so his silence is understandable. Still, his father, Robert Stafford, is speaking out, and he’s blaming Lil Nas X’s arrest on the pressure that the music industry has put on the 26-year-old to produce hits. Robert Stafford says his son’s mental breakdown was caused by a lot of pressure to provide and succeed. 

Robert Stafford says Lil Nas X had a breakdown

Lil Nas X’s father, Robert Stafford, is speaking out days after his son’s arrest on multiple felony charges. Stafford, a gospel singer, claims that he cried while visiting his “baby boy” in jail. He told The Sunday Times that he flew out to support his son as soon as he saw the video,  noting that the 26-year-old in cowboy boots and underwear didn’t even look like his son to him. He went on to reveal that he believes pressure from the music industry led his son to have a breakdown. 

@pinknews Lil Nas X’s father Robert Stafford has said that his son is “very remorseful” after being arrested for injuring a police officer and resisting arrest in Los Angeles last week. Speaking to reporters on Monday, 25 August, Stafford said that Lil Nas X – whose legal name is Montero Lamar Hill – is “going to get the help that he needs”. Stafford said that his son is “very remorseful for what happened” on 21 August but also “in good spirits”. “He’s going to get the help that he needs, and just keep him in your prayers,” Stafford said. “Give him the same grace and mercy that God gives everyone. “He’s doing great mentally. We shed tears, we shed laughter, but he’s in great spirits. He’s gonna be great.” Read the full story by clicking the link! #lilnasx #lilnasxmontero #robertstafford #prison #lgbtqia ♬ Serious piano and strings, the end(973959) – 8.864

Stafford said by the time he had reconnected with the rapper, he was feeling extremely remorseful. Stafford told the outlet that Lil Nas X asked his father to tell everyone he was sorry they had to see him that way. He was released on $75,000 bond a short time later. Stafford called the incident a “breakdown” and insists his son will recover. He went on to say that he’s hopeful this is a turning point for the music artist and that he’ll focus on his mental health more moving forward. 

Stafford raised Lil Nas X from the time he was 10 years old. He gained custody of the then pre-teen after his mother’s addiction struggles made it impossible for her to care for him. He was a well-behaved and academically minded student as a kid. Lil Nas X graduated from high school and moved on to college, initially studying computer science. He eventually dropped out to pursue music full-time. Stafford told the outlet he did not initially support the decision. Stafford did not speak on whether or not drugs played a role in the incident.

What is Lil Nas X charged with? 

Lil Nas X’s early morning arrest on August 21 led to four felony charges. The famed rapper faces three counts of battery causing injury to a police officer; the three charges are the most serious he is facing and could lead to up to five years behind bars. In addition to those charges, police have also charged him with one count of resisting an executive officer. 

The charges are a result of Lil Nas X reportedly charging at police after they responded to multiple calls about a man walking down the Ventura Boulevard nude. TMZ reported that responding officers eventually used a taser to subdue the rapper. Lil Nas X, whose legal name is Montero Hill, was transported to a hospital for a suspected drug overdose before he was remanded to jail. It is unclear what, if anything, was found during his medical exam. 

When is he expected in court next? 

The famed rapper is facing some pretty serious charges and could face significant jail time if convicted, but he and the rest of the world won’t know much until he stands before a judge again. Lil Nas X saw a judge on August 25, just before his release from the city lockup. His bail conditions require him to appear again soon. 


His preliminary hearing is scheduled for September 15. A preliminary hearing is one of the first steps of a criminal case. During the hearing, a judge determines whether there is sufficient evidence to proceed to trial. The hearing, from start to finish, is generally very brief. The rapper has hired Drew Findling and Christy O’Connor, high-profile attorneys, to represent him. O’Connor was on hand at his initial apperanec. During the bail hearing, O’Connor called the incident an “aberration.” Findling later connected with the Hollywood Reporter and noted that Lil Nas X had never been in legal trouble before.