Mike Tyson is an American former boxing champ born and raised in New York. He brawled his way out of Brooklyn to become one of the best-known celebrities of the ’80s and ’90s.
Tyson’s fights garnered big audiences and huge paychecks. He made an estimated $400 million for his matches. His most significant bouts were against Trevor Berbick in 1986, Larry Holmes in 1988, and Michael Spinks the same year. However, Tyson’s net worth is only about $3 million to $10 million because of frivolous spending.
Additionally, acts of violence mar his sports career. He served three years in prison for a 1992 rape conviction. And an infamous ear-biting incident during a 1997 rematch against Evander Holyfield stunned the world.
But fans grieved for the retired boxer in 2009 when news broke that Tyson’s daughter died in a tragic accident at the young age of 4.
Since his 2005 retirement, he has dabbled in film acting, TV and podcasting work, and marijuana sales.
- Full name: Michael Gerard Tyson
- Birthday: June 30, 1966
- Hometown: Brooklyn, New York City, New York
- Height: 5’10”
- Net worth: $3 million to $10 million
- Spouse: Lakiha Spicer (m. 2009), Monica Turner (m. 1997-2003), Robin Givens (m. 1988-1989)
- Kids: Miguel Leon Tyson, Rayna Tyson, Exodus Tyson, Mikey Lorna Tyson, Amir Tyson, Milan Tyson, Morocco Tyson
- Fun facts: He once used a fake penis to pass a drug test.
- Most famous for: Winning 50 fights (44 by knockout), biting Evander Holyfield’s ear in a 1997 rematch