Calm Your Sweet Tooth with Joanna Gaines’ Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Joanna Gaines is known for starring on the HGTV show Fixer Upper, but she’s also known for her cooking and baking. Back in 2018, Gaines came out with the cookbook Magnolia Table, and it contains some of her best meals and desserts. In the book dedication, Gaines spoke about how her family inspired her to cook. “I love to cook, in no small part, because of the excitement and appreciation you have shown for my home-cooked meals all along the way,” she wrote. “Our time in the kitchen and the countless hours we have spent around the table are some of my favorite memories of all,” continued Gaines.
One dessert Gaines loves to make is strawberry shortcake. In her cookbook, Gaines said one way her husband, Chip, enjoys eating biscuits is with jam and gravy, but her favorite is strawberry shortcake. “This classic doesn’t need much of an introduction, but if you’ve never had sweetened ripe strawberries spooned over soft, buttery biscuits with homemade whipped cream, you’re in for a real treat,” wrote Gaines. Here’s Joanna Gaines strawberry shortcake recipe.
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 biscuits (you can make them yourself or buy them at a store)
- Whipped cream
- 6 small mint sprigs, for garnish
1. In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar. Set aside at room temperature for up to 1 hour.
2. Split the biscuits in half. Arrange the bottom halves on each of 6 plates.
3. Layer whipped cream and strawberries on each biscuit. Place the remaining biscuit halves on top. Garnish with mint and serve.
If you would rather make your own whipped cream, Gaines has a recipe for that. (You can also try Joanna Gaines’ homemade biscuit recipe.) In her book, she tells her readers she makes whipped cream at least once a week. The best part is, this recipe takes less than five minutes to make. Here are Gaines’ instructions for homemade whipped cream.
Joanna Gaines’ Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy and the cream holds a soft peak when you pull the beater out of the bowl.
- Use at once or store in a covered in the refrigerator for up to 30 minutes.
Source: Magnolia Table by Joanna Gaines
Check out Showbiz Cheat Sheet on Facebook!