3 Times Meghan Markle’s Worn Princess Diana’s Jewelry

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex is fast becoming a style icon. Just like her sister-in-law, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge, whatever Meghan wears sells out almost immediately. There’s even a name for it, the Meghan Effect.

Clearly, people want to replicate her style. Sometimes it’s more challenging than others especially when Meghan wears one-of-a-kind or rare pieces.

Namely, when she wears jewelry that once belonged to her mother-in-law, the late Princess Diana. Ahead, check out just a few of the times Meghan’s worn Diana’s jewelry.

Princess Diana left most of her jewelry to Prince William and Prince Harry

Princess Diana walking with her sons, Prince Harry and Prince William
Princess Diana, Prince Harry, and Prince William | Anwar Hussein/WireImage

RELATED: Kate Middleton Owns Countless Items of Princess Diana’s Jewelry, Does Meghan Markle Own Any?

Although she died suddenly at the age of 36, Diana already had a will drawn up and in place. Per her instructions, Diana left her jewelry to her sons, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex.

Children at the time of their mother’s passing, William and Harry were 15 and 12-years-old respectively when Diana died on August 31, 1997. 

In her will, Diana stated that William and Harry would get 75% of her jewelry. The remaining 25% would go to her 17 godchildren.

Allowed to make changes to the will as co-executors were Diana’s mother and sister. And make changes they did. Securing a secret change order in court, they tweaked Diana’s instructions about jewelry.

Instead of dividing the remaining jewelry between Diana’s godchildren, they’d get a keepsake handpicked by the executors. Despite the drama that ensued, today Harry and William’s significant others have both stepped out in some of their mother’s jewelry.

Meghan Markle wore Princess Diana’s aquamarine ring to her royal wedding reception

When Harry and Meghan married on May 19, 2018, they honored Diana in many ways. And they didn’t stop at the ceremony. 

When the couple did an outfit change before heading to their wedding reception at Frogmore House, Meghan exited Windsor Castle holding hands with Harry wearing Diana’s aquamarine ring.

Prince Harry drives him and Meghan Markle to their royal wedding reception
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle drive to their royal wedding reception | Steve Parsons – WPA Pool/Getty Images

RELATED: How Meghan Markle Pays Tribute to Princess Diana Through Jewelry

Meghan Markle loves Princess Diana’s butterfly earrings

Just as Catherine favors certain pieces of Diana’s jewelry so does Meghan. Since joining the royal family, Meghan’s worn a pair of Diana’s gold butterfly earrings on a number of occasions. 

When the Duke and Duchess of Sussex went to Australia on a royal tour in 2018, Meghan brought along with her Diana’s butterfly earrings. Just after announcing they would become parents, Harry and Meghan made an appearance at the Sydney Opera House to pose for photos with koalas. 

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry hold hands walking down the steps of the Sydney Opera House
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry at the Sydney Opera House | SAEED KHAN/AFP via Getty Images

Walking hand-in-hand, Meghan showed up to the event wearing Diana’s butterfly earrings and also a gold bracelet that once belonged to her.

The Duchess of Sussex must be fond of this particular earrings and bracelet combo because this isn’t the only time she’s worn them.

During the unveiling of the Smart Works capsule collection — clothes for women to wear on job interviews — that Meghan worked on, she did another nod to Diana. She attended the launch wearing the same butterfly earrings and gold bracelet she’d worn in Australia. 

Meghan Markle at the launch of Smart Works capsule collection in 2019
Meghan Markle at the launch of Smart Works capsule collection | Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images

It’s unclear when exactly fans will get another glimpse of Meghan wearing Diana’s jewelry. However, it’s certainly true the Duchess of Sussex is fond of honoring her late mother-in-law with her jewelry.

RELATED: Will Meghan Markle Be Banned From Wearing Princess Diana’s Jewelry After She Steps Down?