‘What If…?’: Which Marvel Stars Are Part of the Show’s Voice Cast?
Marvel embraces the bizarre in many of its Disney+ series, and What If…? looks to continue that trend. The animated show, which will explore alternate versions of Marvel’s biggest events, comes out in August — and it threatens to upend everything fans know about the MCU. Despite changing up the narrative, however, What If…? features many of the characters fans know and love — and believe it or not, most of the Marvel stars who play them are a part of the voice cast.
These Marvel stars have joined the cast of ‘What If…?’
Animated series don’t always feature the same talent as live-action films, something Star Wars fans know all too well. However, What If…? sees a number of Marvel’s major players reprising their roles. So, who’s in the voice cast of the animated series?
To start, What If…? marks the late Chadwick Boseman’s final outing as T’Challa. The actor tragically passed away last August, but fans will get to experience his portrayal of the character one last time. In What If…?, it seems as though T’Challa has become Starlord, not Black Panther, so it’ll be an interesting performance to say the least.
Many of the stars actively involved in Marvel’s current live-action projects will also appear in the animated show. Per Collider, the following actors will voice some version of their Marvel character in the series:
- Andy Serkis as Ulysses Klaue
- Angela Bassett as Ramonda
- Benedict Cumberbatch by Doctor Strange
- Benedict Wong as Wong
- Benicio Del Toro as The Collector
- Bradley Whitford as John Flynn
- Carrie Coon as Proxima Midnight
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor
- Chris Sullivan as Taserface
- Clancy Brown as Surtur
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
- Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill
- Danai Gurira as Okoye
- David Dastmalchian at Kurt
- Djimon Hounsou as Korath the Pursuer
- Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark
- Don Cheadle as War Machine
- Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter
- Evangeline Lilly as Wasp
- Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow
- Georges St-Pierre as Batroc
- Haley Atwell as Peggy Carter
- Jaimie Alexander as Sif
- Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton
- John Kani as T’Chaka
- Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan
- Josh Brolin as Thanos
- Karen Gillan as Nebula
- Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis
- Kurt Russell as Ego
- Leslie Bibb as Christine Everheart
- Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner
- Michael Douglas as Hank Pym
- Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger
- Michael Rooker as Yondu Udonta
- Natalie Portman as Jane Foster
- Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan
- Ophelia Lovibond as Carina)
- Paul Bettany as Vision
- Paul Rudd as Scott Lang
- Rachel House as Topaz
- Rachel McAdams as Christine Palmer
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
- Sean Gunn as Kraglin
- Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes
- Seth Green as Howard the Duck
- Stanley Tucci as Abraham Erskine
- Taika Waititi as Korg
- Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One
- Toby Jones as Arnim Zola
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki
- Tom Vaughan-Lawlor as Ebony Maw
These actors won’t reprise their roles in ‘What If…?’
The most noticeable character deviation in What If…? can be heard in the opening moments of the show’s trailer. The first look at the series takes fans back to Tony Stark’s life before Iron Man, but it looks like the “genius playboy billionaire philanthropist” will sound a bit different in the show. That’s because Robert Downey Jr. isn’t part of the What If…? cast, likely due to working on other projects.
Downey isn’t the only major Marvel star who won’t play his character in What If…? either. Steve Rogers — the other pillar of the Avengers team — will appear in the show, but Chris Evans will not voice him. It seems Downey and Evans are truly done with the MCU, even if their characters may show up in some form.
In addition to Tony and Steve, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, and Wanda Maximoff will be voiced by new actors. Brie Larson, Tom Holland, and Elizabeth Olsen aren’t listed as part of the What If…? cast despite being involved in Phase 4. On the Guardians of the Galaxy front, voice actors for most of the main team are also unconfirmed.
When does ‘What If…?’ arrive on Disney+?
Following Loki‘s show-stopping season finale, fans won’t have long to wait before diving into the next Marvel series. What If…? arrives on Disney+ on Aug. 11, 2021, giving viewers about a month between shows. That’s probably for the best given everything fans need to process about the future of the MCU.
With so many familiar faces returning for Marvel’s What If…?, the animated series will likely feel similar to any of the franchise’s live-action projects. It will no doubt be strange having some of the major players recast, but perhaps fans will discover talented newcomers as the story unfolds. (Plus, the multiverse provides the perfect explanation for a voice change!)
This article was updated with new information on Aug. 1, 2021.