‘Yellowstone’ Fans Can Actually Stay at the Real-Life Dutton Ranch

Yellowstone has featured numerous picturesque locations and breathtaking views during its first three seasons. But the best scenery of all is the Dutton Ranch and their gorgeous cabin in Montana, a property that’s been in the family for generations.

The Duttons and their land are fictional, but the Yellowstone shooting locations are very real. In fact, fans can actually book a stay at the real-life Dutton Ranch.

John Dutton (Kevin Costner) and his cowboys in a photo from Paramount Network promoting 'Yellowstone'
Kevin Costner (John Dutton) and the cowboys of ‘Yellowstone’ | Paramount Network

‘Yellowstone’ shot the first three seasons in Montana and Utah

Yellowstone is set in Montana’s Big Sky country, where the fictional Dutton ranch shares a boundary with a local Native American tribe. There’s also another border with Yellowstone National Park. It’s touted as the largest ranch in the contiguous United States, which means it covers hundreds of thousands of acres.

But according to the Salt Lake City Tribune, approximately 75 percent of Yellowstone’s production during the first three seasons took place in and around Park City, Utah. The other 25 percent was in and around the 2,500-acre real-life Chief Joseph Ranch near Darby, Montana.

The Dutton family log cabin is located on the Chief Joseph Ranch

For season 4, Yellowstone moved production entirely to the state of Montana where they filmed in and around the city of Missoula. That means the scenery will change, but the one constant is the family’s gorgeous log cabin.

That cabin is a real-life 5,000-square foot mansion that is located at the Chief Joseph Ranch. Filming locations inside the main house include the lodge’s great room, back porch, front porch, heli pad, and kitchen. On the outside, they’ve filmed at the bunkhouse, barns, armory, cabins, corrals, and arena.

But that property isn’t just a Yellowstone filming location. The Chief Joseph Ranch is a real-life working cattle ranch, and that cabin is a family home. When Yellowstone isn’t in production, the ranch doubles as a vacation spot with cabins for rent.

‘Yellowstone’ fans can book a stay at the Dutton Ranch

Fans can’t book a stay at the Dutton home. But, they can stay on the ranch in one of the two cabins, which have both been featured on Yellowstone. The Fisherman Cabin — AKA Lee Dutton’s cabin in season 1 and Rip Wheeler’s cabin in season 3 — is available to rent. As is the Ben Cook Cabin, which was Rip’s in season 1 before it became Kayce’s in season 2.

Both cabins sleep a maximum of eight guests and feature a full kitchen and outdoor grill. The ranch doesn’t provide meals. But, there is a market close by and several restaurants in the towns of Darby and Hamilton.

Availability is currently limited

Between production for Yellowstone season 5 and guests who’ve already made reservations, the Chief Joseph Ranch is booked solid through the end of 2021. However, fans can call the property at (406) 821-0894 or visit their website to inquire about availability and get more info.

“The Paramount filming schedule for 2022 is not available at this time. Please continue to visit our website for updates and scheduling information,” the site reads. “Thank you for watching the series and we look forward to making a reservation with you!”

What can ‘Yellowstone’ fans do when they stay at the real-life Dutton Ranch?

The Chief Joseph Ranch requires a minimum three-night stay, and they do allow you to bring your own horses to ride. Guests can spend their time at the ranch hiking through the mountains and enjoying the views of the Bitterroot River Valley. They can also go fishing and horseback riding. Essentially, it’s the full John Dutton experience, as if you were on the set of Yellowstone.


‘Yellowstone’ Announces Major Cast Shake-Up Amid Season 4 Delay

“On the ranch, we’re actually filming where it’s actually set. It’s almost like the most central character,” star Kevin Costner said in an interview with Vanity Fair. “You step outside and you see running horses and men working and the weather dictates what you do.”

Yellowstone seasons 1 through 3 are available on Peacock. Season 4 is expected to premiere on the Paramount Network in November.